cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refuses cancellation by fraudulent claim of having shipped the order

On Sunday, the 14th, I entered an order for a Wacom tablet.  A few minutes later, I cancelled that order.

The next day, Monday the 15th, I received a response that the seller could not cancel because they had already shipped the order.   This would imply they shipped it within half an hour before receiving notice of cancellation. And the UPS truck showed up just in time to pick it up.  On Sunday.  This doesn't pass the giggle test.

They did not even request a UPS label until Monday, and as of 5:45 PM on Monday, the order was still waiting for pickup by UPS.

Because the seller does not accept returns, they went ahead and shipped the order despite an immediate cancellation received, to which they replied that it had already shipped.  This was a fraudulent representation, as evidenced by the attached photo showing the email notice received (at the top) compared to the tracking information displayed for that order on the eBay site (below).

This seller is hiding behind their "no returns" policy, falsely claiming they shipped this order which was both placed and cancelled the day before they actually shipped.

It does not appear there's any option to ask eBay to step in for that order (likely because of the seller's no-return policy which they use to abet their false claims).

How do I get this to someone at eBay to address plainly fraudulent behavior by this seller?  I want my money back including all shipping charges including return shipping.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Seller refuses cancellation by fraudulent claim of having shipped the order

WAIT JUST A COTTON PICKEN MINUTE HERE.

Please show me the policy that says to refuse the cancellation request the seller has to prove the item has already been shipped.

That is FALSE.

Call it bad customer service if you want to but it is entirely up to the seller if they comply with the cancellation request.

This is allowed as per eBay policy. When you join you agree to abide by the policies on eBay.

You should not be encouraging the buyer to refuse delivery and file a chargeback.  That is basically telling the buyer the hell with eBay policy that says if you bid and win you're obligated to pay and if they seller doesn't accept returns you can't return it because you no longer want it.

Further shocked you don't  mind sticking the seller with the return postage for refusing delivery and sticking them with a chargeback fee.

If you do this to your sellers you ought to be kicked off of eBay. At the very least you need a mentor or to read all the policies so you aren't giving advice that goes against eBay policy.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

Cancellation is not an entitlement

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

ise710
Thrill-Seeker

@bhovell2 wrote:

The next day, Monday the 15th, I received a response that the seller could not cancel because they had already shipped the order.

Your seller is not the lily-white policy-worshipper as portrayed by our responders.

7lgfs0yga0y8sdf0y8badsy0gf0sd.png

Instead, your seller violated policy and exploited loopholes in eBay software to fabricate the false claim that your order had already shipped.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

I always cancel auctions if the buyer requests because if I don't they're going to damage it or claim "not as described" and get their money back anyway. Ebay almost always sides with the buyer and I've come to learn that if you don't cancel the auction you'll end up paying for shipping both ways and more often than not, a damaged item for your troubles.  I look at requests to cancel an auction as a good thing because I've most likely just dodged a bullet and saved some money in the process. 

As we all know the buyer doesn't have to have a "valid" reason for a return he can simply claim not as described, even if you don't offer returns and it's listed as "parts only" they can STILL open a return and they'll win, every single time. One of the many reasons I don't even fight returns or cancellation requests because I know, in the end, I'm going to lose. 

Do I like it, no, but it's the only game in town and it's their way or the highway.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

Suggesting that the seller abuse the MBG on the forum is a big no-no.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

Where, @monster-deals?

7lufauhghagf0ua0fhg08augh08ahs0fg.jpg

Can you point it out?

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@ise710 wrote:

Can you point it out?

Your seller will pay UPS again, this time for the return shipping. Then file a chargeback for Credit Not Processed to get your full refund, and your seller will pay a $20 chargeback settlement fee on top of the refund.

There you go.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@ise710 wrote:

Can you point it out?

Your seller will pay UPS again, this time for the return shipping. Then file a chargeback for Credit Not Processed to get your full refund, and your seller will pay a $20 chargeback settlement fee on top of the refund.

There you go.

That's not in the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy here.

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

I'm sorry you didn't like how I easily pointed it out how you were suggesting a buyer abuse the MBG and commit credit card fraud to obtain refunds they are not entitled to.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

I'm sorry you didn't like how I easily pointed it out how you were suggesting a buyer abuse the MBG and commit credit card fraud to obtain refunds they are not entitled to.

Truly sorry you are unable to substantiate your claim of abuse by quoting from the eBay MBG policy itself.

When a buyer exercises their credit card rights,

1. refusing delivery to return goods is one of those rights, and

2. filing a chargeback for "Credit Not  Processed" is a buyer's right as well,

applying policy from actual credit card rules -- not "credit card fraud" as misstated.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

I think everybody is missing the point here, the point is the order was not shipped when the cancel request was made, in fact it wasn't even shipped for a while afterwards. 

I've been on both sides here, I had the same thing happen as a buyer, a seller refuses to cancel a mistake order immediately after sale, yet takes their sweet time shipping it, which is just wrong. 

I've had cancellations as a seller too, as long as I haven't physically shipped it, or paid shipping costs, I've always allowed sales to be cancelled upon request, it's called being a good business person, not a jerk seller.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@morste_3351 wrote:

You need to shop in person

Probably 50% of the buyers on eBay need to shop in person.  Instead eBay kisses up to them thinking that they can always get more sellers.   

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

@ise710 wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

Truly sorry you are unable to substantiate your claim of abuse by quoting from the eBay MBG policy itself.

When a buyer exercises their credit card rights,

1. refusing delivery to return goods is one of those rights, and

2. filing a chargeback for "Credit Not  Processed" is a buyer's right as well,

applying policy from actual credit card rules -- not "credit card fraud" as misstated.

Sorry but refusing delivery as a means to return something simply because you changed your mind is at best a very poor choice in ethics.  An honest person would admit they were mistaken to so rapidly change their mind and at least follow up to return the item on their dime.   They certainly wouldn't behave in this vindictive manner going out of their way to rack up charges for the seller.  They wouldn't make up lies about how a seller did this or did that.   The seller here should have cancelled just to save themselves a hassle, but chose not to.  That's no reason to take out your frustrations on them.  It just means you should be buying things in person.  

Can you tell us your bidding account so we can all block you?  I would presume you'll behave in the same manner as OP and I certainly don't need that headache. 

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@ise710 wrote:

@monster-deals wrote:

Where, @monster-deals?

7lufauhghagf0ua0fhg08augh08ahs0fg.jpg

Can you point it out?

I know, I'm probably only adding fuel to the fire by replying to this... but hey, that's how I roll (aka Pointing It Out):

Knowingly violating the MBG is covered under the policies' section for the Money Back Guarantee (is considered being an abusive buyer. ) It's also covered in the User Agreement under the MBG (being an abusive user who can lose MBG priviledges) and for interfering with the proper working of the policy (such as advising someone how to abuse the MBG.)

@muffetmedia wrote:

Knowingly violating the MBG is covered under the policies' section for the Money Back Guarantee (is considered being an abusive buyer. )

It's also covered in the User Agreement under the MBG (being an abusive user who can lose MBG priviledges) and for interfering with the proper working of the policy (such as advising someone how to abuse the MBG.)

You can't violate the MBG if you're never going to use it, i.e. not looking for the MB in the G.

And your User Agreement doesn't require that you invoke the MBG for coverage; it can't. In fact, it actually states that you can go on to "use [another] resolution method to get a refund."

Don't extrapolate outside of what it never states.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply