cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refuses cancellation by fraudulent claim of having shipped the order

On Sunday, the 14th, I entered an order for a Wacom tablet.  A few minutes later, I cancelled that order.

The next day, Monday the 15th, I received a response that the seller could not cancel because they had already shipped the order.   This would imply they shipped it within half an hour before receiving notice of cancellation. And the UPS truck showed up just in time to pick it up.  On Sunday.  This doesn't pass the giggle test.

They did not even request a UPS label until Monday, and as of 5:45 PM on Monday, the order was still waiting for pickup by UPS.

Because the seller does not accept returns, they went ahead and shipped the order despite an immediate cancellation received, to which they replied that it had already shipped.  This was a fraudulent representation, as evidenced by the attached photo showing the email notice received (at the top) compared to the tracking information displayed for that order on the eBay site (below).

This seller is hiding behind their "no returns" policy, falsely claiming they shipped this order which was both placed and cancelled the day before they actually shipped.

It does not appear there's any option to ask eBay to step in for that order (likely because of the seller's no-return policy which they use to abet their false claims).

How do I get this to someone at eBay to address plainly fraudulent behavior by this seller?  I want my money back including all shipping charges including return shipping.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Excuse me, being a seller and all, but when you buy something, YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO COMPLETE THE SALE.

Ebay is not the site for "ooh, I want that", oh wait, I really did not want it so please cancel, sorry.

You bid, you paid and now you wait to receive it.  Then, and only if you have a valid reason, you can request to return it.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

@bhovell2 wrote:

On Sunday, the 14th, I entered an order for a Wacom tablet.  A few minutes later, I cancelled that order.

The next day, Monday the 15th, I received a response that the seller could not cancel because they had already shipped the order.   This would imply they shipped it within half an hour before receiving notice of cancellation. And the UPS truck showed up just in time to pick it up.  On Sunday.  This doesn't pass the giggle test.

They did not even request a UPS label until Monday, and as of 5:45 PM on Monday, the order was still waiting for pickup by UPS.

Because the seller does not accept returns, they went ahead and shipped the order despite an immediate cancellation received, to which they replied that it had already shipped.  This was a fraudulent representation, as evidenced by the attached photo showing the email notice received (at the top) compared to the tracking information displayed for that order on the eBay site (below).

This seller is hiding behind their "no returns" policy, falsely claiming they shipped this order which was both placed and cancelled the day before they actually shipped.

It does not appear there's any option to ask eBay to step in for that order (likely because of the seller's no-return policy which they use to abet their false claims).

How do I get this to someone at eBay to address plainly fraudulent behavior by this seller?  I want my money back including all shipping charges including return shipping.

Hmm the seller does not ever have to cancel a transaction.

You seem to NEED to learn this before you purchase any more items.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

"It does not appear there's any option to ask eBay to step in for that order..."

@bhovell2 

It doesn't appear that there's anything for eBay to 'step in' for yet. (A request for a cancellation isn't an eBay matter.) If you haven't received your item by one day past the Estimated Delivery Date on the order, you can open an Item Not Received claim. Then, after a time, eBay can  step in, if necessary. Good luck.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Well, excuse me, being a buyer and all, but if the option exists to cancel an order, you have no obligation to complete the sale unless the goods have actually shipped.   To avoid honoring the cancellation by FRAUDULENTLY claiming it already shipped is a lie.  Not a mistake.

Based on your faulty reasoning, the option to cancel  an order TIMELY doesn't actually exist.  So why offer it in the first place?

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

While the computer is intransit, its time to read up on eBay Policy regarding Buyer Returns because some returns require that the seller pay for return shipping and some returns require that you, the buyer pay return shipping.  For example, if you request a return because you changed your mind, then you, the buyer, will pay return postage.   Of course, some reasons for returns will over-ride a sellers "Do Not Accept Returns" Policy.

If you refuse to accept delivery of the package, then you will lose eBay Money Back Guarantee and the WaCom Tablet will be returned to the seller and you will not be refunded.

You can open a Return Request through the Resolution Center and provide a reason for the return.  I am not sure whether seller refused to cancel transaction is a legitimate reason for returning the item.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

Some businesses might be able to honor a cancel request like that, but others might have things set in motion at the time of sale that are not easily reversed. 

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@bhovell2 wrote:

Well, excuse me, being a buyer and all, but if the option exists to cancel an order, you have no obligation to complete the sale unless the goods have actually shipped.   To avoid honoring the cancellation by FRAUDULENTLY claiming it already shipped is a lie.  Not a mistake.

Based on your faulty reasoning, the option to cancel  an order TIMELY doesn't actually exist.  So why offer it in the first place?

A buyer can only request to have an order canceled.

It's up to the seller if they want to cancel the order or not.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Actually, I think I'm probably done with eBay after many years.  I can certainly bear being ripped off a hundred bucks.  The seller obviously needs it more than I do.

If cancellation of an order not yet shipped is discretionary to the seller, I'm out.  If the seller can lie about shipping it as a means to refuse canceling an order a day before it actually shipped, I'm definitely out.

eBay and its sellers will survive.  So will I.  Bye.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

You need to shop in person

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

The offer to request to cancel is available to all buyers immediately after buying..  The seller is not obligated to cancel. Some sellers, mainly the ones  who accept returns may go ahead and cancel. But again, the seller is not obligated to cancel. eBay can't force sellers to ship.  eBay only makes it easy to cancel through the request should they want to refund.  

You said you have no obligation to complete the sale unless the goods have already shipped. You are mistaken.  If you mean paying for the item is completing the sale, the seller is under no obligation to ship until you pay. 

When you receive your item you can resell it to recoup your money.  I'm sure if it sold to you it should sell to someone else.  From now on if you want to be able to return something you no longer want then only buy from sellers who accept returns. Some sellers offer free returns!  Pay attention to everything in the listing.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

That is TERRIBLE advise to say open a return in the Resolution Center.  The Resolution Center is to open a case covered by the money back guarantee. Buyer's remorse is not covered.  "Seller wouldn't  cancel" Is not covered.  You tick off one of two choices, you didn't  receive it or you received it and it doesn't  match the description in there.  So why tell them to go there to open a case? They need to open a  return request after they get it in My eBay using a factual reason for the return. The seller will be given the option of declining the return or they can choose to go ahead and let them return it.  The seller will most likely accept the return to avoid negative feedback or to avoid a chargeback fee should they dispute it with their credit card.  The really right thing to do is not to try to force the seller to take it back but to resell it on eBay or through social media or cl.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

You aren't being ripped off! You BOUGHT it. If you think you're being ripped off, then please stop shopping anywhere, because by your reasoning, buying=being ripped off.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@bhovell2 wrote:

How do I get this to someone at eBay to address plainly fraudulent behavior by this seller? 

You didn't cancel anything since buyers cannot cancel orders but only request to do so. The seller is under no obligation to do that.

You don't get someone to address it.

If you want to return it I would not suggest you abuse the MBG by picking a faulty reason to avoid paying shipping.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

ise710
Thrill-Seeker

@bhovell2 wrote:

I want my money back including all shipping charges including return shipping.

To refuse your cancel @bhovell2 your seller had to prove to eBay that your item had already shipped and they somehow got around that, so it is even more nefarious than you imagine.

At your card issuer, Refused Delivery is a valid method of return:

7lubvidfsabgbvsoaufbguajs0b0g6sda8fasf.png

eBay does not cover refused delivery for a refund, but no matter. Your seller will pay UPS again, this time for the return shipping. Then file a chargeback for Credit Not Processed to get your full refund, and your seller will pay a $20 chargeback settlement fee on top of the refund.

Why Would a Customer File a Chargeback With Reason Code “Credit Not Processed?”
“Credit Not Processed” chargebacks are filed by customers who have canceled their purchase or returned their purchase but did not receive a credit/refund from the merchant.

We're not in the Stone Age anymore. Your seller cannot get away with poor customer service.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply