cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority Mail Prices - cheaper over 1 lb than below 1 lb?

Wanted to check if anyone knew what was going on here.  Listing items.  If weight put it under 1 lb, say 8oz, Priority Mail rate estimates look normal staring around $8-10.  But if I add a lb, so it shows 1 lb 8 oz, the price goes down to under $7???

It doesn't feel right that a heavier package is costing less than a lighter package, at the same dimensions. Anyone know what's going on?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Prices have dropped a lot because eBay added usps cubic rates (like pirate ship has had for a while). The only explanation for what you were describing is that maybe eBay is not applying cubic rates for priority if the package is under a pound. Very interesting I will have to experiment around with that myself later.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I strongly suspect that the calculation for the heavier package did not use the same package dimensions, and it qualified for Cubic rates.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Are you sure you are comparing apples to apples?

There are a few 'price points' and circumstances where Priority Mail is cheaper than Ground Advantage.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Prices have dropped a lot because eBay added usps cubic rates (like pirate ship has had for a while). The only explanation for what you were describing is that maybe eBay is not applying cubic rates for priority if the package is under a pound. Very interesting I will have to experiment around with that myself later.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I did not mention Ground Advantage...

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Same dimensions, same package, just increasing the weight.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

Correct. Cubic rates do not apply under a pound.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Would I be charged for underpaying on an 8oz pkg sent priority if I say it weighs 2 lbs to get the cubic rate?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Would I be charged for underpaying on an 8oz pkg sent priority if I say it weighs 2 lbs to get the cubic rate?

Never tried it. If for some reason you need to ship an under a pound item via Priority, just add some weight to the box so it surpasses 16oz. Paper can be heavy - put in some newspaper on the bottom of the box. 🤷

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

That's crazy, but I might try it.  🤔😛

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Same is happening for me with ground advantage.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I think I will too next time I get a 15 oz parcel that qualifies.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 12
latest reply