cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What generates the "Estimated Delivery" date seen by shoppers in a listing?

I recently purchased an item whose listing said "free 4-day delivery." It was to be sent out via USPS first class shipping. The item is small, maybe 6 oz, and non-fragile. Can be shoved into any mailer with no worries.

I did my usual due diligence in checking out the seller, feedback, etc. The seller is located around 1500 miles away. I myself have sold and shipped out identical sized items via the same method and knew that the 4-day estimate was reasonable.

I made the BIN purchase with immediate payment, received immediate auto notifications from my cc company, Paypal, and about five minutes later, Ebay.  Next would be the "Your item has shipped!" (cough) notification that indicates the seller purchased postage.

Well, nothing but crickets for about 46 hours. Finally, I get the eBay " item shipped" email.  I wondered if the seller possibly "bit the bullet" and sent the item via Priority flat rate just to preserve their good/good-enough reputation, killing any profit on the $30 transaction.  Clicked on the tracking link and no, it's coming first class and will be "late."  No big deal as this transaction isn't super important/time critical.

To me, an official four-day delivery estimate in a listing would indicate a seller whose account setting is for same or next-day shipping, allowing for three days of transit-delivery for the small first class shipping over the 1500 miles.

Basically, the seller burned through two of the four days before even printing the shipping label.  As an experienced seller, I would never let this happen and if there was some extraordinary circumstances I would at least message the buyer.

So, finally my actual question.  Would it be possible for a seller who has two day handling time  in their settings yet does a high volume of same-day shipping, have eBay's computers automatically adjust "speed up" the estimated delivery displayed in their listings? If that were possible, my seller did nothing wrong and lived up to their end of the deal in spite of waiting two days to purchase postage/hand package to USPS.

PS: I'm not one who goes around leaving hysterical negative feedback, but was considering "neutral,"  but not if the seller possibly did nothing wrong.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

So, finally my actual question.  Would it be possible for a seller who has two day handling time  in their settings yet does a high volume of same-day shipping, have eBay's computers automatically adjust "speed up" the estimated delivery displayed in their listings?

@brerwolf 

I know that eBay uses 'historical' shipping information to assess the EDD, so I guess my answer would be "Yes".

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It's quite possible that your seller dis nothing wrong.

The estimated delivery date is generated by eBay; the seller has absolutely no control over it.  eBay claims that their estimate is based on a combination  of the carrier's information, eBay's historical experience, and especially on the seller's past performance. Sellers do sometimes complain that these estimated delivery times are unreasonably optimistic.

In most listings, you can see the seller's chosen handling time if you go to the "Shipping, returns and payments" tab and scroll down.  This IS chosen by the seller.  It's business days, so if you pay on a Friday and the seller has 2-day handling, he is supposed to ship on Tuesday.

Last July, USPS eliminated the service called "First Class package" shipping, merging it into the newly-named "Ground Advantage" which also incorporated the service formerly known as Parcel Select Ground.  Some sellers have not yet updated the shipping sections of their listings which offered First Class package shipping.  Your piece has tracking so it must have been mailed via Ground Advantage. (The only First Class service currently available for a 6-ounce piece would be First Class flats, AKA Large Envelope.  But this service doesn't include tracking.) 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

So, finally my actual question.  Would it be possible for a seller who has two day handling time  in their settings yet does a high volume of same-day shipping, have eBay's computers automatically adjust "speed up" the estimated delivery displayed in their listings?

@brerwolf 

I know that eBay uses 'historical' shipping information to assess the EDD, so I guess my answer would be "Yes".

Yes, indeed.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Honestly as long as the seller ships within their stated handling time and the package receives an acceptance scan, I would never leave anything but positive feedback unless there is a problem with the item. eBays estimated delivery time is just that an estimate.

Once it is in the Post Offices hands there is nothing a seller can do to speed the process up. eBay shipping estimates are at best overly optimistic and a lot of times it does not factor in a sellers handling time especially if a seller ships earlier than stated on a consistent basis.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you all for the responses.

I (for the first time ever) checked the sellers shipping info. It said "usually ships within one business day."

No big deal.  I just had to get in some typing practice for what was mostly "out of curiosity."

I not going to leave any bad/bad-ish feedback for the seller.

Have a good day.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have 2 day handling. I just bought a label for an item that was sold this morning and the label page said  est del date Wed 7th - Fri 9th. BUT it also said "ship by Tue 6th".

So it's actually due out on Tue 6th, ebay is telling the buyer it MAY arrive the very next day.

So the answer to that is yes.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 7 of 7
latest reply