cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priority Flatrate boxes

Can I use a flatrate box for regular Priority Mail if I pay appropriate weight and size for package and blackout the Flatrate markings? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Priority Flatrate boxes

No

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

NO.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

No, but you can order a variety of priority boxes of many different sizes for free from USPS.com   I just ordered some. They came in less than a week.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

No, but... you can, of course, use any other box. Do you have anything available?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Order some free boxes on USPS with free delivery to your home. Then you have more sizes when needed. If you dont want that size or only want a few take the rest to the post office. They sometimes are taken within a few hours. I order in the 25 quantity but you can order 10 if I have that correct. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

No. If you use the boxes for anything other than Priority Mail Flat Rate, then you can get caught and get into trouble. This is because the boxes are provided for free by USPS, and are only intended to be used for Priority Flat-Rate Shipping.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

No.  They will contact you in their words for the extra postage.   You can use any non USPS provided box  for priority mail.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I'll contradict everyone here. I've done it for years and have never had a problem. The main things is you have to blank out the barcode on the boxes. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

No. That’d be no different from blacking out the word Priority and using it for first class and paying the appropriate first class postage price.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@spudster17 wrote:

I'll contradict everyone here. I've done it for years and have never had a problem. The main things is you have to blank out the barcode on the boxes. 

And people like you are the reason they are considering making them available  only as PRE-PAID. 

I have been with the Post Office since before the Flat Rate boxes came out. Marked up, reused, turned inside out, covered in paper, it doesn't matter if it is a flat rate mailer you have to pay the flat rate postage.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

If you cover the part that says flat rate and the bar codes 

otherwise no they will return it with postage due

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

no

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

People here who post a lot dont want the truth. It can be done. You, spudster17, will be somewhat attacked. I commend you. Another post I replied to within last 2 months I said same thing. You can cut it, reconfigure, Frankenstein a priority flat rate and as long as it doesn't say flat rate its good to go. Good to know someone else knows and your post office and every post office who deals with this that it then becomes just a box. You pay what's due. Sometimes more, sometimes less. 

So no you cant use it as is. If changed then it's just a box. People cant believe it's just a box. Omg 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply