cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My garbage experience with an appealed case.

Almost a month ago, an item I bought arrived damaged. This was shipped through the global shipping programme which eBay is responsible for. In the past, I've had items occasionally arrive opened and damaged. So as the item arrived damaged with dents and quashes (this is a collectible item which I asked the seller to package properly to ensure it arrives to me in the condition as pictured) which they did not. Either way, I opened an SNAD case and returned the item on the 21st of December using the cheapest shipping option available (as this is an international shipment, I had NO CHOICE but to pay for the label and return myself). I sent an image of the receipt to the seller with the tracking number. The seller noticed I wrote the address down wrong, I told him that I'd call the post office. I called the post office, they told me they would use the address on the electronic label (which was correct by the way) to deliver the item. The shipping option I selected was the cheapest which also meant it would be the slowest (up to a month if not longer and with the covid situation, this is to be expected). The seller escalated the case a few days ago, claiming he did not get a tracking number or tracking information. The tracking information shows the item is in transit and has not yet been delivered. eBay closed the case in the seller's favour. So not only do I get no refund but I didn't get the item either. I appealed the case, eBay didn't change a thing and rejected my appeal. What exactly can I do in a situation like this? I sent a few messages to the seller complaining and he claims he did not "prematurely" close the case. Anyone got any good suggestions? Or is eBay really this bad? I've never had such a horrid experience with eBay until now. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@enterecho wrote:

The tracking information shows the item is in transit and has not yet been delivered. eBay closed the case in the seller's favour. So not only do I get no refund but I didn't get the item either. I appealed the case, eBay didn't change a thing and rejected my appeal.

When you win an appeal @enterecho eBay has to pay you out-of-pocket, and the seller gets away. If they are deciding your appeal, how likely is eBay to decide to give you their own money?

Even after the seller asked eBay to step in to require a return, you could could have pointed out either of two errors by contacting eBay at Facebook:

1. For a damaged item, the seller must send cash to pay for return shipping.

2. For a Global Shipping Program item, Pitney Bowes pays for Damage-In-Transit.

Now instead, contact your card issuer to chargeback twice, the seller and Pitney Bowes, using the reason Goods returned Credit not issued: You have returned the item -- the return is currently in transit. This will correctly get the funds directly from the seller, rather than eBay paying for your appeal.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I don't understand why you had to pay for the return shipping when the item arrived damaged.   eBay's policy for these types of  items not as described returns favor the buyer.  The seller was required to pay the return shipping not the buyer.  Frankly if you paid for this with a credit card I would do a charge back. 

I made an international purchase in mid October that didn't arrive until January.  It was not as described so I opened a return claim.  Seller made several attempts to offer me a partial refund  $1.00  LOL  I refused so when the deadline arrived they accepted the return.  However they are unable issue the return shipping label from the US to China.  I told them they needed to send me the money for the shipping label   which was $35.35 .  Again round two of them pestering me with offers of a partial refund this time $2.00.  Again I refused.  I let them know my next step was to contact eBay and ask them to step in.  They finally refunded me.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

the OP did not seem to be aware of the rights that MBG gives you  and did not exercise them

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Well the seller basically accepted the return a day before I could ask eBay to step in. So the option to get eBay to step-in was ultimately lost. Honestly I think this seller played me like a fiddle. He wouldn't let me wait for eBay to step-in. Wouldn't let the return reach him before getting eBay to step-in claiming that the case automatically escalated itself (which seems like utter **bleep** to me). Since I lost the appeal, it appears as though all I can do is hammer customer service and try and workout some kind of solution. The irony was the seller was initially all "oh no worries we'll work this out together" and now he's all "it's not my fault you didn't return the item" 🙂 🙂

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

There are sellers that have had so many cases opened on them that they know exactly how to play their buyers so they don't have to pay on claims. The Chinese sellers do this all the time. They will accept a return up to the last moment before the buyer can ask eBay to step in. Then they try to delay you returning the item since they can't send the return label. The trick there is to ask eBay to step in and force a refund unless the seller actually sends you money for return shipping which they won't do as it usually costs more than the item purchased. A trackable method will cost $35.35 USD now.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@enterecho wrote:

The tracking information shows the item is in transit and has not yet been delivered. eBay closed the case in the seller's favour. So not only do I get no refund but I didn't get the item either. I appealed the case, eBay didn't change a thing and rejected my appeal.

When you win an appeal @enterecho eBay has to pay you out-of-pocket, and the seller gets away. If they are deciding your appeal, how likely is eBay to decide to give you their own money?

Even after the seller asked eBay to step in to require a return, you could could have pointed out either of two errors by contacting eBay at Facebook:

1. For a damaged item, the seller must send cash to pay for return shipping.

2. For a Global Shipping Program item, Pitney Bowes pays for Damage-In-Transit.

Now instead, contact your card issuer to chargeback twice, the seller and Pitney Bowes, using the reason Goods returned Credit not issued: You have returned the item -- the return is currently in transit. This will correctly get the funds directly from the seller, rather than eBay paying for your appeal.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply