cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postage due for media mail

I recently purchased something on eBay and suspected the seller was going to ship it media mail when the item wasn’t allowed to be shipped via media mail. Sure enough I got tracking number today and noticed it was shipped via media mail. I did send a friendly reminder to the seller that the item was not eligible for media mail. Based on the history of the seller and their prices with free shipping he is aware.

If it comes to me postage due and I refuse it. Can I get my money back by filing a INAD case? I know normally eBay would side with the seller if tracking showed buy refused item. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Postage due for media mail

Message 3 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If you refuse the package, it will not receive a delivery scan. Therefore, you can file a INR with eBay to get your money back.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

It's in there.  You are covered if you refuse delivery because of postage due.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

If it comes to me postage due and I refuse it. Can I get my money back by filing a INAD case? I know normally eBay would side with the seller if tracking showed buy refused item. 

You'll need to grab a photo of the postage due notice in order to file a claim.

Refused packages aren't eligible for the MBG except in very specific cases and an item arriving postage due is one of the exceptions.

So you'd be covered, just make sure to get the photo so you can show eBay.

Personally I would send the pic to the seller and ask them to PayPal you funds for the postage due and if they refuse then file a claim. But, since you've already contacted the seller in advance and they used MM anyway, you may want to jump straight to a claim. You can also report the seller to USPS by calling their local post office since you know they intentionally abused the service.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Someone did that to me many years ago. It arrived $23 postage due to me. I refused it, and the great part was the shipper had to pay the correct postage to get their package back.  Media Mail is a shipping method that is unfortunately abused. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If it does come postage due, that is one reason you can refuse the package and get a refund.

If it does come Media Mail, I'd report them to USPS for abusing Media Mail.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

You'll need to grab a photo of the postage due notice in order to file a claim.

Refused packages aren't eligible for the MBG except in very specific cases and an item arriving postage due is one of the exceptions.

Yes, if you have already refused the package you will need to go to the post office to get proof it had postage due.  Otherwise you may not be eligible for a refund.  This is a messy situation.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

In most cases now USPS back bills the sender.  In a few rare cases it will arrive postage due but they seem to be getting away from that.  They do look in most of them too.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

Someone did that to me many years ago. It arrived $23 postage due to me. I refused it, and the great part was the shipper had to pay the correct postage to get their package back.  Media Mail is a shipping method that is unfortunately abused. 

Right or wrong, I don't consider unauthorized use of MM to be abuse of the system.  I don't risk using MM when I shouldn't, but have plenty of sellers that ship to me using MM when I know that their items do not qualify.  Personally, I'm thankful for it - it would make so many items far too expensive to ship (economically).  

The way I look at it is that MM is a class of service.  You get what you pay for - a bit like an adult ordering a meal off the kids menu.  Smaller portion, smaller price.  

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

In most cases now USPS back bills the sender.  In a few rare cases it will arrive postage due but they seem to be getting away from that.  They do look in most of them too.

Back-billing the sender has indeed replaced "Postage due" in most cases.  But this is because the Automated Package Verification (APV) system in sorting centers can detect postage that has been underpaid due to the package weight and dimensions.  

However, detection of Media Mail abuse still has to be done by actual humans, so it usually ends up as Postage Due, which will be returned to the sender if the abuse is detected while the package is still in the sender's area. Otherwise, it's delivered to the recipient with old-fashioned Postage Due.

https://link.usps.com/2017/10/05/what-is-apv/

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/ebay-shipping-partners/avoid-extra-postage-costs....

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

@myfrugalboutique wrote: ....  Media Mail is a shipping method that is unfortunately abused. 

Right or wrong, I don't consider unauthorized use of MM to be abuse of the system.....  

If it's wrong and unauthorized, how could that NOT be abuse of the system?  

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Right or wrong, I don't consider unauthorized use of MM to be abuse of the system.  Personally, I'm thankful for it - it would make so many items far too expensive to ship (economically).  

So you believe abuse of media mail does not have an impact on how much priority rates go up each year?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Right or wrong, I don't consider unauthorized use of MM to be abuse of the system.  Personally, I'm thankful for it - it would make so many items far too expensive to ship (economically).  

So you believe abuse of media mail does not have an impact on how much priority rates go up each year?

No, I don't.  In a way, MM subsidizes other mail classes.  Think about it - trucks roll and plains fly, regardless of whether optimized or not.  Send it priority, and the post office can't just sit on it.  BUT, with MM, it only moves if there is space on the truck - and it is the last loaded.  AND, if it didn't fit, the post office doesn't have to make sure that it gets to the DC that night.  

Non-MM-compliant items that wouldn't ever be sold & shipped with Priority Mail (b/c of the cost putting that item out of reach) don't add cost to the USPS - they basically provide (almost) free gross margin to the USPS.  They fill the truck - incremental revenue with very little increase in actual cost.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@myfrugalboutique wrote: ....  Media Mail is a shipping method that is unfortunately abused. 

Right or wrong, I don't consider unauthorized use of MM to be abuse of the system.....  

If it's wrong and unauthorized, how could that NOT be abuse of the system?  

It comes down to math.  Absolutely, the USPS should look to minimize use of MM when/if that product could go Priority.  BUT, items not allowed under MM BUT that wouldn't gain a high enough price to warrant use of any other class, but shipped under MM, don't hurt the postal service.  

Seller is willing to part with an item for $30 + shipping

Buyers willing to pay a TOTAL of  $40

Shipping under MM is $10 - fits our needs, and the USPS actual costs to deliver are $5 (a $5 profit for the USPS)

In the above scenario, we all win - seller, buyer, and the USPS.  If the seller needs to ship Priority at $20, I won't buy.  Seller loses, buyer loses, USPS loses.  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply