cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now USPS has dinged me for cost adjustment on shipping Priority

I've had Fed-X hit me for additional charges after the package has been delivered to the buyer but now USPS has hit me with cost adjustments for over $30 on a package I sent Priority.  I specifically asked here if I could rely on the eBay shipping calculator when shipping "oversize" packages to correctly calculate shipping charges and eBay rep responded that if you enter the actual dimensions and weight of your package that the calculator will correctly reflect Dim weight and charge accordingly.  Well, apparently that's not correct!  I have opened a dispute at the verifypostagehelp@usps.gov for the overcharges and will hear back from them.  Has any Seller gotten the charges credited back going through this dispute process?  I also just checked the USPS site and calculated retail shipping there with the actual dimensions and weight and the package showed retail postage for that package should cost $17.95.  I paid $14.41 through eBay shipping with the discount.  BTW, the package was 17 x 16 x 4 and weighed 2.8 lbs and USPS stated 17 x 16 x 7 with a weight of 12.0 lbs.  How are other Sellers dealing with this?  I hate waiting until my package is delivered and then a week later getting hit with additional charges!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Now USPS has dinged me for cost adjustment on shipping Priority

The shipping calculator does work.  USPS has the information on the last measurement as more which sounds like it sent your package into dimensional weight category.  This isn't a eBay calculator error.  It's that the information you used to print the label is different than what USPS has recorded.  If you did mis measure this is what USPS does this for.  If you didn't disputing with USPS is the right way to go.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@foxyblazer wrote:

Has any Seller gotten the charges credited back going through this dispute process?

We've had maybe 8 USPS adjustments over the last couple of years, with 6 of them being refunds (yes, you read that correctly), one a legitimate mistake we made, and one an error by the USPS.   We disputed the USPS error through the link you used, and the USPS refunded the overcharge.  So the dispute process works.

(Someone once told me that a photograph is taken of the package as it goes through the package verification system ... it is quite possible that another package had gotten stuck onto yours, which resulted in the dimensional error).

@foxyblazer wrote:

BTW, the package was 17 x 16 x 4 and weighed 2.8 lbs and USPS stated 17 x 16 x 7 with a weight of 12.0 lbs.

You may or man not realize this, but a 17 x 16 x 7 package has a dimensional weight of 12 pounds at the USPS:  17x16x7/166 = 11.46, which is rounded up to 12 ... so it would ship at the 12 pound rate.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the response orangehound. I do know about Dim weight and as I stated in my original post I specifically asked here if the eBay shipping calculator would calculate accurate shipping charges reflecting Dim weight when actual dimensions and weight were entered and was told that the calculator will correctly reflect Dim weight and charge accordingly.  Also, when in doubt I always round up to the next inch on dimensions.  And I'm glad to know the dispute process works.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If the actual height of your package was 4 inches then the eBay shipping calculator WAS correct, and the measurement error was introduced by USPS.  The automated system has been in place for about 4 years but it isn't perfect.  Errors like this can happen if two packages are measured together by accident.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply