cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New approach of fraud - using buyer's shipping info

I received a mail from Sam's Club stating that I need to renew my membership. This was a surprise as I do not recall signing up, but the letter had my name and address correctly. 

I tried to retrieve username information using the membership number provided in the renewal statement, and I do not recognize the email address used. I contacted the customer service, verified my identity, and changed username and password. After doing all that, I checked what items were purchased. 

The membership was opened on May 11, 2022, and the first items purchased were what I purchased in eBay on May 9, 2022 (cough drops). Fortunately, none of my credit card information was at risk, but it was a bit scary how scammers use the buyer's shipping information to sign up for a membership without any consent. 

I Google searched the address recorded, and it seems like the address was misused several occasions for fraudulent activities, including stolen card information. I am going to file an identity theft report to the local police just in case. 

Just recording what I experienced here so other people may be aware that your name and address listed in the shipping information may be used for signing up a membership that you never planned. 

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0