cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay refuses to credit shipping, package came back, reason: Embargoed Shipper.

Sold some car parts, purchased Smartpost shipping to Alaska thru ebay. Fedex had the package 22 days, never left California. Package came back to me, marked Embargoed Shipper. I have talked to Ebay representatives twice and it doesnt seem like they are too bright.  they see that the package was delivered and wont go past that. I should be refunded the $75spent on shipping, since it was not my fault the package was not delivered. the buyer backed out because taking too long. What do i do?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@sadhillsalvage 

What do i do?

There's nothing to do, FedEx did what they could.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

what does that mean? they didnt do anything and im out $75. how does that make sense?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@sadhillsalvage wrote:

what does that mean? they didnt do anything and im out $75. how does that make sense?

It means that the item you tried to ship could not be shipped by air mail it seems.

A problem that has been happening with FedEx.

This becomes between you and FedEx, not eBay:

Yet I will try and get an ebay employee to this thread:

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@sadhillsalvage wrote:

It means, it couldn't be delivered so they sent it back to you, nothing else they can do.

Since they did their job, they deserve to be paid.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

What was in the package ?  Wonder if it was an item that can't go be air.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Carburetors probably can't be shipped by air, especially if they're used, as they might have residue left on them

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

FedEx Ground to Hawaii "Embargoed Seller" returned package
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/FedEx-Ground-to-Hawaii-quot-Embargoed-Seller-quot-ret...

Message 11 I suspect this is probably a rate contract issue with ebay/fedex. Chances are their FedEx ground discounts are not applying appropriately to shipments to Hawaii

Message 14 FedEx leaves by boat from Richmond CA, taking 10 to 12 days to arrive in Hawaii.

Message 19 I heard back from eBay on this. FedEx Ground/Home Delivery to Alaska/Hawaii should not be an option through printing of eBay labels and they are working on a fix that will hopefully make it clear/impossible. If you must use FedEx Ground to Alaska/Hawaii, you will need to go to FedEx and buy your label through them.

Message 21 Our shipping team is aware of this and a solution is being worked on, which should be coming in the near future. I don't have any information about reimbursements, but I can pass along the concerns about this.

Message 22 From what I've been told FedEx doesn't typically charge for situations like this. If anyone has an example of a FedEx charging them on their eBay invoice then please let me know and I'll pass it along!

Message 27 It just happened to me as well.

After a couple of hours on the phone with first FedEx (three levels of escalation) and then eBay (two levels of escalation), I learned the following:

FedEx does not honor eBay packages going to Hawaii, even though the ebay label creation system happily lets you make labels as if it did. Once the package reaches the airport in CA, the scanning system will reject it, hence "embargoed shipper."

It would have been helpful to reject it at the drop off location where they first scanned it, but it didn't. I don't know why they don't do this.

Further, if to get a refund on the FedEx shipping cost, the eBay rep said that I had to petition FedEx and not eBay for the refund!

All of this was avoidable if eBay just didn't let you use FedEx when creating labels for shipment to Hawaii.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This is still happening, 2023.

I sold an item and the buyer pre-paid $146 shipping at checkout, shipping to Hawaii.

I purchased the automatically-generated FedEx label (for home delivery) via the Ebay site. Days later it was returned to me because of "embargoed shipper".

Ebay does not want to offer me a shipping related and told me to speak to Fedex. Good-old fashioned reverse fingerpointing.... with the buyer and seller (me) left to pay the price ...literally.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply