cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mission Control...We have a Problem with USPS

Mailed a box Priority Mail yesterday with USPS...in person...and took photo of it with clerk in person...LOL...and sent it to buyer...nothing as far as it scanned...or on its way...at $18.40 for the box. Ouch!

This will become a nightmare if buyer is not honest in receiving it.

Has scanning become obsolete? All my other items without tracking make it cross-country 4-5 days.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Just take the photo back to the office and show it to the postmaster. Btw, you can request a "received" receipt with a tracking number upon request. 

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Mailed a box Priority Mail yesterday with USPS...in person

Good so far

took photo of it with clerk in person

Why did you do that?

nothing as far as it scanned

Did you ask the clerk to scan it and give you a receipt?

Has scanning become obsolete?

Not at my post office. Every package I drop off gets an acceptance scan, because I ask for one.

All my other items without tracking make it cross-country 4-5 days.

Re. these 'other items without tracking': did they get shipped using a service that does not provide tracking, or were they supposed to have tracking but did not get scanned?

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I have a receipt plus a photo of package with clerk in back of it. Because I go to an old timer she lets me take a photo "after" label is applied at the counter...kind of a no-no but I do get it.

Something told me to check tracking...I only hope this is an honest buyer.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Just 6 months ago I sent out 2 packages.

1 went 1st Class (ground advantage) TO NEW YORK!!

1 went Priority to TEXAS

I'm in Nevada

The 1st Class to NY got there in 2 days

The Priority to Texas got there in 9 days

I've learned the following:

1.) don't care

2.) don't look

3.) ONLY dig when a buyer says something

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

update of tracking can be delayed.

POS terminal label purchases data is not instantaneously transmitted.

You get your label at the PO. It is in the system.

Will likely get another update at the regional facility.

It is not a problem just yet.

Are you looking on eBay, or at USPS dot com?

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

I used to work for USPS, good luck, because they don't care and don't handle packages well. I once found a priority mail package laying under a desk, it had been mailed a month prior.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I guess I'm thankful for our local office.  They always scan the packages in, and they go out the same day, providing I get them in before outgoing cutoff.

Never need a receipt or anything.  There have been two times the status didn't update till after midnight that day, even though I watched the package get scanned into the system.

So sometimes the status just doesn't update well, even though its scanned properly.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Good points.  

My carriers, and offices are also great about scanning.

OP is in a different boat here. Purchase is made at the Post Office at retail, and there is no scan to be done. The tracking # is (should be) in the system when that purchase is made, and a label is generated at the sales terminal.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

A Constant Problem with USPS the dreaded Label Printed awaiting acceptance Message with "NO TRACKING". USPS used to blame this on Covid lately they gave up on that excuse and finally say it's a glitch in their system. The no tracking won't be a problem unless you have a buyer who likes to check the progress on his item along the way then Look out it becomes a NIGHTMARE!!. this has been happening on around 2 percent of all of our packages and when a Buyer messages you and demands to know why you haven't shipped their item, they will not believe you. After all they are looking at information from their government and why would their government lie to the Them. must be you the evil untruthful seller that is telling a fib. After you explain that you mailed it promptly and everything in your power to convince them.

If and When Your Buyer opens an item not received case the clock starts ticking. you literally will have like three days to get the post office to locate that item or eBay will rule in the buyers favor and refund the purchase.  that leaves you looking almost daily at the tracking to try and locate it eventually in 95 percent of all our cases The Item always arrives then the tacking Will miraculously gets posted. You will never hear the good news from your Buyer that it finally arrived and Good Luck having them pay for the item maybe one out of ten lately will feel guilty enough to send you the money. 

Hopefully USPS will fix the problem once you pay them a few more postage increases since they claim they are losing money especially since we the United States Pays for all that China Merchandise that comes Free Shipping. We the People Supplement China for all that since they are a developing country.

Good Luck in your Online ventures..

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Likely No Worries..

Tracking Will you Drive Crazy 🤪 

Better to Check Back in 2 -3  Days

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I think you can just chill out for the moment.  The vast majority of these cases resolve themselves shortly.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

When I hand my boxes to my postal clerks, they scan it right in front of me because they know I want a receipt from their system showing it scanned.  They need to be scanning them right there when you give your packages to them, and give you a receipt.  Thats unacceptable service.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Mailed a box Priority Mail yesterday with USPS...in person...and took photo of it with clerk in person...LOL...and sent it to buyer...nothing as far as it scanned...or on its way...at $18.40 for the box. Ouch!

This will become a nightmare if buyer is not honest in receiving it.

Has scanning become obsolete? All my other items without tracking make it cross-country 4-5 days.

You are assuming because you seen no scan in 24 hours that you won't ever have one?  That is a pretty big leap.  Don't overreact.  Things will likely be just fine.  I understand why you are concern as I would be too, but it isn't a problem yet.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote: ....nothing as far as it scanned...or on its way...at $18.40 for the box. Ouch!

FYI, the retail postage cost for a Medium FRB is $18.40; the published online rate is $16.00; and the eBay label price is $14.38.  You would have paid $4 less for that label if purchased through eBay, and you still could have gotten a scan at the PO counter if you asked for it.  If you had a non-flat-rate box of the same dimensions and purchased your label through eBay, you would have paid the Priority Cubic rate for .3 cubic foot, which is as little as $8.75, depending on Zone.

As others have noted, your package will probably get a scan soon; try not to worry about it but do come back to let us know if everything is OK.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply