cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping Label Creation Fails Every Time on 2018-01-20 and later. Error Code: 64541

Each time I try to print an international postage mailing label for a First Class package shipping I get the same error message below.

"We're having trouble printing your label. We had a problem retrieving the label.

[Error: 64541-Content type Documents is only supported for First Class Mail International]"

eBay Support does not give much detail on the matter.  Agents and Supervisors tried to resort to canned responses over a few different calls.  They even attempted to push me off to PayPal support without any reason.

On a subsequent call I recevied a little more detail. By not much. Below is the eBay Support response when I asked them to create a ticket for tracking and send it to my eBay Messaging inbox.  An aside for this issue is even the creation of that eBay support ticket took several attempts before the agent was able to accomplish the request.

"Ticket Request SR# 1-144654574449 

Hello [xxxx],

Since eBay is receiving an update from USPS we are currently working on the features and types of services in our website.

This update is with reference to Printing shipping label issue related to message: "Error: 64541-Content type Documents is only supported for First Class Mail International" ticket reference to SR # 1-144654574449. We will do our best for our online fxes as fast as we can to avoid any future website issues. We will send you some updates if it's necessary.

eBay

THREAD ID: 1-144654574449 "

eBay Document ID: 52896250007

eBay is committed to your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy notice. Learn how to recognize fake (spoof) emails.

Copyright © 2017 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125."

BTW.  It seems PayPal is also having the same issue when I try to print an international postage mailing label using PayPal shipping.  When the attempt is made on the PayPal site the process to print the label fails.   So eBay Support' attempt on one call to push me off to PayPal Support was a useless action on their part.

Perhaps the entire back end server platform both eBay and PayPal use to create international postage mailing labels has failed during on of their internal updates?

Anyone else seeing these issues on eBay and PayPal?

-Vectrexer
Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: International Shipping Label Creation Fails Every Time on 2018-01-20 and later. Error Code: 64

Using the Click-N-Ship Business Pro software - https://gateway.usps.com/eAdmin/view/knowledge?id=WHITELABELELIGIBLE

I was able to have Merchandise when printing the shipping label under the customs form.

Message 61 of 82
latest reply

Re: International Shipping Label Creation Fails Every Time on 2018-01-20 and later. Error Code: 64

@dhbookds wrote:

Ebay doesn’t charge 10% on postage acquired elsewhere. 

that is certainly incorrect.....

alan@ebay

Any chance of you guys finding out what's going on with the international shipping and the 13-15.99 ounce first class problem?  

Ebay doesn’t know how much you paid elsewhere. Ebay does, however, charge you 10% on what you have in your listing for shipping.  Just clarifying. 

Message 62 of 82
latest reply

not what I was told e bay will tell you anything to get you off the phone

I

Message 63 of 82
latest reply

@nky-photos wrote:

Sample label except I changed the category to Document instead of Merchandise to get it to print. Like I said I sell photos for the most part so Document is not to far off base. Merchandise is the correct category though.Capture.JPG

I would suggest NOT doing that, you may see your package rejecte at the international custom office.  USPS changed their rules to follow international law, flats cannot be merchandise as they are sped through customs as no taxes should be due on cards, documents, or family photographs.  But note on your label, your item lists a cost of $29.99, which will tell the custom agent this is not a document, but merchandise. Your package will be rejected and returned to you, and you will have to pay to reship it.  Either use Stamps.com or Click n Ship for now, don't change it to documents, you are asking for trouble.

Message 64 of 82
latest reply

I was on hold for four hours and 2 minutes before eBay hung up on me! How were you able to talk to anyone there??? (ps. I hate the hold music so much and now I will hear it in my sleep!)
Message 65 of 82
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vectrexer wrote:

Each time I try to print an international postage mailing label for a First Class package shipping I get the same error message below.

"We're having trouble printing your label. We had a problem retrieving the label.

[Error: 64541-Content type Documents is only supported for First Class Mail International]"

eBay Support does not give much detail on the matter.  Agents and Supervisors tried to resort to canned responses over a few different calls.  They even attempted to push me off to PayPal support without any reason.

On a subsequent call I recevied a little more detail. By not much. Below is the eBay Support response when I asked them to create a ticket for tracking and send it to my eBay Messaging inbox.  An aside for this issue is even the creation of that eBay support ticket took several attempts before the agent was able to accomplish the request.

"Ticket Request SR# 1-144654574449 

Hello [xxxx],

Since eBay is receiving an update from USPS we are currently working on the features and types of services in our website.

This update is with reference to Printing shipping label issue related to message: "Error: 64541-Content type Documents is only supported for First Class Mail International" ticket reference to SR # 1-144654574449. We will do our best for our online fxes as fast as we can to avoid any future website issues. We will send you some updates if it's necessary.

eBay

THREAD ID: 1-144654574449 "

eBay Document ID: 52896250007

eBay is committed to your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy notice. Learn how to recognize fake (spoof) emails.

Copyright © 2017 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc., 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125."

BTW.  It seems PayPal is also having the same issue when I try to print an international postage mailing label using PayPal shipping.  When the attempt is made on the PayPal site the process to print the label fails.   So eBay Support' attempt on one call to push me off to PayPal Support was a useless action on their part.

Perhaps the entire back end server platform both eBay and PayPal use to create international postage mailing labels has failed during on of their internal updates?

Anyone else seeing these issues on eBay and PayPal?

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share that we are working on this issue. Check out our eBay For Business announcement for more info. Additional details will shared as soon as they are available!

Message 66 of 82
latest reply

I am having the same trouble. Rep tried to tell me the Post office wasn't delivering internationally that I needed to find another way to ship. When I went to the Post Office to pay the postage the Rep laughed. All this because the USPS added 1 cent for first class and EBay went from $2.77 to $3.18 for 8oz. What a joke.Bottom line EBay wasn't prepared. I get different answers from different people I speak too.It will get fixed but who knows when.

Message 67 of 82
latest reply

Same issue here. Have talked to ebay twice and paypal once. Don't work for either. Also hear 1st class will only be available for letter items and ebay says to call buyer and ask for amount to ship priority mail. I won't do that. If it stays this way I believe ebay is trying to push their sellers into their global shipping service. They are already pushing guaranteed delivery, guaranteed returns, promoted  listings, gosh what am I paying them for. been with ebay 10 yrs., if it stays this way time to start selling elsewhere. 

Message 68 of 82
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is STILL a problem that exists on both ebay and paypal.

One person stated that it had something to do with sending documents vs merchandise. However I was able to generate an international First Class label with "merchandise" specified in the appropriate area. I did this via the USPS website.

Message 69 of 82
latest reply

Yeah, I've seen this for my orders going out this week. Last week, not a single problem. I sure hope they get this sorted soon. Having to pay full USPS price is going to ding me. At least the eBay discount covers the "final value shipping fee", but now I am going to truly pay for a couple International shipments.
I knew that USPS costs were going up, they send a email, but this issue doesn't seem related to those increases. Some coding work is probably to blame. I'm going to suspend International sales until this is resolved.
Message 70 of 82
latest reply

I honestly can't figure out why people freak out over this kind of thing as if eBay is somehow required to provide a service for printing labels. 

Plenty of other options:  Stamps, Endicia. 

Not to mention, what about the good old handfashioned way?  With a pen? 

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 10.54.48 PM.png

Message 71 of 82
latest reply

Oh hell no! The other options are really expensive compared to the First Class method. Now I'll have to change all listings to the higher rate if I want to sell Internationally. Probably won't include them until further notice. Too bad, since a lot of times, they are the ones buying my "old stock".
Message 72 of 82
latest reply

Ebay posted they are aware and shouldn't take long for fix. Cross fingers
Message 73 of 82
latest reply

They take their piece if you buyer paid you for shipping. Doesn't matter what service you use to ship from. So if you listing had 6.95 shipping, your buyer paid that, Ebay will base the fee on that. Only way to truly avoid the shipping fee is to offer Free shipping, and that's just not cost effective for most of us.
Message 74 of 82
latest reply

I wouldn't deny that a cost like that would catch attention, but how much do professional photographs cost normally? Wouldn't you agree that 50+USD isn't out of line for professional photos? Look at how much Wedding photography costs. He's certainly not out of line stating that price, some documents are very valuable, well over 29.99.
Message 75 of 82
latest reply