cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fear for my sanity

I fear for my sanity. I am getting so used to some posters writing "payed" that now to me "paid" [the correct spelling] looks like a typo! tired_face

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: I fear for my sanity

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I bidded on an item and.....

That one is classic - or the "Buyer won't sell"

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

I spent 25 having my mom pound pronunciation and use of proper word in my head.  "If you don't know how to spell it, then use another word that you can spell."

Must of been an overreaction to my Ukrainian Grandmother who talked and spelled phonetically.

No offense meant.

"Must of" - example of phonetic Grandma talk?

*giggles*

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

throw me over the fence the keys
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

It's "basghetti.":)
Message 19 of 37
latest reply

"I never received the item I bidded on. I payed but the buyer won't send it"

It's sort of sad.
Message 20 of 37
latest reply

@repairelectronics wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

I do try my best to use correct spelling (I'm mildly dyslexic). Quite often the spell checker can't understand what word I want so I'll have to change the sentence around and us another word. And of course the spell checker will not pick up on the problem of payed/paid or to/too/two.

or using "us" for "use" - j/k

I can't count the number of times I have had to change my entire sentence because Google couldn't figure out how to spelt the word I meant...

This is called Muphry's Law. I know this because it has happened to me too many times to count.

From Wikipedia:

"If you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written. The name is a deliberate misspelling of Murphy's Law."

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

How about anyways?

(Shudder)

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@luxe_auto_parts wrote:
"Simplify everything!" would be today's motto. People tend to use urban dictionary and abbreviations even when it comes to business correspondence and taking some tests.

P.S. I've never seen anybody here writing "payed" instead of "paid", but I have seen a lot of people using some words improperly.

Payed is sadly one of the classic error on the Boards.

Paid.  

How about "bidded"?  It's bid.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Another one I often see on eBay.

I bidded on an item and.....

Arrgghh. 🙂

Oops, you beat me to it!Smiley Sad

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

In reference to spelling, I am by no means a scholar, however, sometimes when reading a post here, I think "Bless your heart."

energy flows where attention goes

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

It's constant.
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

The other day, someone posted s/he had "waisted" time going to the "lie barry." 

I thought that was an autocorrect gone terribly wrong at first.  Until I read the rest of the post.

A little bad spelling isn't a problem.  So much bad spelling that the writing is completely incoherent is a problem.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

I I saw the “lie Barry” post and was just stunned! What has happened to education in America?  Don’t get me started on the people who “loose”an auction. Best to just laugh it off😀

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Oops, forgot my all time favorite. An item was listed as being in “wonderful and complete tact”. I asked the seller what diplomacy had to do with the item??? Six tedious emails later I figured out she meant the item was intact. Which she claimed was not a word. Sigh...

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

Here's some I see quite a lot. (Apologies if there is any repetition on this thread).

He was not phased by the long queue at the supermarket.

This cabinet is a 6 draw unit.

You can't enter that restaurant in bear feet.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply