cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fear for my sanity

I fear for my sanity. I am getting so used to some posters writing "payed" that now to me "paid" [the correct spelling] looks like a typo! tired_face

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I fear for my sanity

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
Yeah, that's a shame, I work with post offices in Kentucky and have found no less than 720 different ways the customers spell the word "Fragile".
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

Our education system sucks and computers do not make it any better because people just use spellcheck. We parents need to catch up on all things not taught at home . In a way I can understand why there are things neglected in schools as teachers have to spend so much time on discipline and paperwork. I know as teaching was my occuption.

But really there are so many more important things to worry about in this world than how words are spelled - like how to stay safe.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

@doctorfegg wrote:

I fear for my sanity. I am getting so used to some posters writing "payed" that now to me "paid" [the correct spelling] looks like a typo! tired_face

If you're going to be pushed to the edge by typos on a message board, I'd reconsider reading 99% of the comments people post.

The other day, someone posted s/he had "waisted" time going to the "lie barry." The lie barry, doctorfegg. The lie barry.

True story.

And "payed" drives you insane?

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

@ryanrobyn wrote:

Our education system sucks and computers do not make it any better because people just use spellcheck. We parents need to catch up on all things not taught at home . In a way I can understand why there are things neglected in schools as teachers have to spend so much time on discipline and paperwork. I know as teaching was my occuption.

But really there are so many more important things to worry about in this world than how words are spelled - like how to stay safe.

Just curious:  why are you using such a big font?

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

@pburn wrote:

@doctorfegg wrote:

If you're going to be pushed to the edge by typos on a message board, I'd reconsider reading 99% of the comments people post.

The other day, someone posted s/he had "waisted" time going to the "lie barry." The lie barry, doctorfegg. The lie barry.

True story.

My post was meant to be light-hearted - a first world complaint. It will not drive me insane but from a psychological perspective I find it interesting how my brain can sometimes override 50 yrs of reading/spelling comprehension. I managed to handle the "noone" vs "no one" and "loose" vs "lose" misspellings with little issue. But my difficlty with this particular one surprises me. Oh well, no doubt I am just a bit worn out after a rough June. 

P.S. I had no problem understanding the OP's post about "lie barry" as I used to hear that mispronounciation all of the time as a kid. As well as "pasghetti." 

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

I spent 25 having my mom pound pronunciation and use of proper word in my head.  "If you don't know how to spell it, then use another word that you can spell."

Must of been an overreaction to my Ukrainian Grandmother who talked and spelled phonetically.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 7 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

@doctorfegg wrote:

My post was meant to be light-hearted - a first world complaint. 

Oh, I definitely took it that way! Sorry if I sounded contrary!  Smiley Happy

I still think "lie barry" is pretty bad, though. LOL!

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

• a first world complaint

Today it is, but won't be if everybody keeps giving misspelling, textese, etc. a pass, and we become a third world society.

"Brawndo with electrolytes. It's got what plants crave".
    (from a disturbingly prophetic documentary)
Message 9 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

I do try my best to use correct spelling (I'm mildly dyslexic). Quite often the spell checker can't understand what word I want so I'll have to change the sentence around and us another word. And of course the spell checker will not pick up on the problem of payed/paid or to/too/two.

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

@lja440 wrote:

I do try my best to use correct spelling (I'm mildly dyslexic). Quite often the spell checker can't understand what word I want so I'll have to change the sentence around and us another word. And of course the spell checker will not pick up on the problem of payed/paid or to/too/two.

or using "us" for "use" - j/k

I can't count the number of times I have had to change my entire sentence because Google couldn't figure out how to spelt the word I meant...

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

@pburn wrote:

@doctorfegg wrote:

True story.

LOL I spotted that one too. All I could think was they needed more "lie barry" time. 

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

@repairelectronics wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

or using "us" for "use" - j/k

I can't count the number of times I have had to change my entire sentence because Google couldn't figure out how to spelt the word I meant...

Yeah, sometimes I'll have to go in and edit because I haven't seen that one letter didn't come through making it a different word. I should replace my keyboard the P key is off I have to press it hard to have it print.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

"Simplify everything!" would be today's motto. People tend to use urban dictionary and abbreviations even when it comes to business correspondence and taking some tests.

P.S. I've never seen anybody here writing "payed" instead of "paid", but I have seen a lot of people using some words improperly.
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

I fear for my sanity

Another one I often see on eBay.

I bidded on an item and.....

Arrgghh. 🙂

Message 15 of 37
latest reply