cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

I have been selling on eBay for 8 years, and have never had an issue until last week...

I sold a brand new, with tags, pristine condition designer bag to someone.  

While the auction was occuring the person who ended up buying the item contacted me a couple of times, asking multiple times what was the "lowest price" I would sell the bag for, and then prodding for free shipping.  I held out and they ended up winning the auction.  I also state that I do not accept returns - and have never been asked to accept one.

SO - a couple hours after USPS says the bag was delivered, I get a return request from the buyer.  They're claiming over and over again that the item I shipped them has "stains/discolorations" on it and is not in the same condition as the photos.

I checked the item over before I shipped it to quadruple check everything was perfect, and it was shipped in a dust bag and with lots of tissue padding.  My listing also had tons of super detailed close up pictures, and I checked everything over and over again - NO issues!  It was sent in pristine condition.  

And the buyer is insisting now that the moment they unpacked it, there were "discolorations" on the item.

I called eBay, and they weren't much help.  

I have tried to resolve by asking the buyer questions and letting them know repeatedly that the item I shipped them had no problems.  They keep claiming that they cannot keep the item.  

I need to be protected here -  how would it even be possible to insure that the item that is shipped back to me is the item that I shipped out to this person in the first place?  Furthermore, considering that I am 100% CERTAIN that I shipped them a pristine item, and they are now claiming this item has "damages" on it, how could I accept a high-priced item that was damaged on their watch?  

Then my mom sent me an article about people who have scammed department stores by buying authentic handbags and returning fake ones.  

And I noticed that the buyer of my item is also currently selling THE SAME HANDBAG, used, and in a different color.  I believe something fishy is occuring here and I do not want to get scammed!

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of situation before?

Does anyone have any advice on what I can/should do?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

@baggs-2017 wrote:

But this one is almost $400.  So it's a doozy....

I wound't sell anything over $100 here, thats my new limit because of the high fraudulent SNAD claims.

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Re: HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

@youbebetty wrote:

I need to be protected here -  how would it even be possible to insure that the item that is shipped back to me is the item that I shipped out to this person in the first place?

It isn't.  Ask the guy who got a rock back instead of the camera he sent out.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 17 of 35
latest reply

It is all positive feedback, but maybe 15 transactions...
honestly, I thought the messaging was a little annoying but I didn't think much else of it. I had never imagined that people did these sorts of things. I've only bought from/sold to honest people thus far, and also had never dealt with customer service and was completely unaware that a) I would ever be obligated to accept a return (I truly thought that I, as the seller, was the one who dictated my return policy!) and b) that eBay wouldn't try to protect buyer and seller equally - they make money off of us, too!

I get it, but we all know that when you buy something at a steep discount from a store, it can often be final sale. You cannot buy and return a final sale item from a store. So yes, this whole policy has caught me off guard. And I would have hoped eBay knew to protect their sellers against scammers...it is so disheartening to hear what you all are saying.
Ugh.
Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Ebay does not make money off sellers.  If a seller pays ebay, it's .30 to list, and most sellers won't pay that.  Ebay makes money when a buyer buys, a smart seller transfers the cost of their listing, their item, their gas, their time, their shipping and whatever other costs they have, to the price of their item, all paid BY THE BUYER.  So ebay makes money off buyers, not sellers.

The most money ebay makes from sellers is using the real estate on your listing to sell advertising.  

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

you wrote "They're claiming over and over again that the item I shipped them has "stains/discolorations" on it and is not in the same condition as the photos." ask them to take pictures and send them to you.Since you say "My listing also had tons of super detailed close up pictures" means item was not damaged when pictures were taken. Anyway, since you sold used item it can never be like new. May be you can offer also partial refund if item is really damaged? Check also that buyer's feedback, may be that person does it to all sellers-slags them off? If anyway buyer insists on returning the item, require recorded mailing, to be sure you will get your item back, not something other.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

@youbebetty wrote:
... this whole policy has caught me off guard. And I would have hoped eBay knew to protect their sellers against scammers....

Times are a changing on eBay for sellers. If you sell internationally, I would turn that off too BTW. Just my opinion. (it defaults to on).

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

@baggs-2017 wrote:

Ebay does not make money off sellers.  If a seller pays ebay, it's .30 to list, and most sellers won't pay that.  Ebay makes money when a buyer buys, a smart seller transfers the cost of their listing, their item, their gas, their time, their shipping and whatever other costs they have, to the price of their item, all paid BY THE BUYER.  So ebay makes money off buyers, not sellers.

The most money ebay makes from sellers is using the real estate on your listing to sell advertising.  

Finally something I can disagree with you about. ALL fess are paid by sellers, whether something sells or not. Buyers are nice for both sellers and eBay but if there were no sellers, eBay would not make one penny. I've yet to see an invoice from eBay on my buying id, yet I receive one every month like clockwork on my selling id.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@swans_n_crocodiles_ss_50 wrote:

you wrote "They're claiming over and over again that the item I shipped them has "stains/discolorations" on it and is not in the same condition as the photos." ask them to take pictures and send them to you.Since you say "My listing also had tons of super detailed close up pictures" means item was not damaged when pictures were taken. Anyway, since you sold used item it can never be like new. May be you can offer also partial refund if item is really damaged? Check also that buyer's feedback, may be that person does it to all sellers-slags them off? If anyway buyer insists on returning the item, require recorded mailing, to be sure you will get your item back, not something other.

OP claimed this was NWT, I wouldn't offer a partial. I would just say return for refund. The problem here is the buyer has a similar item for sale and I expect the ol' switch-a-roo. Also, with a partial, that drags out the return another 30 days which is crazy IMO.

As far as buyers FB, buyers can only have positive FB so that is typically not helpful.

Also "recorded mailing" (whatever that is) won't guarantee anything other than delivery of something (I assume you mean registered). If your suggestiong the OP record (video) everything they sell, that is a waste of time.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@swans_n_crocodiles_ss_50 wrote:

OP claimed this was NWT, I wouldn't offer a partial. I would just say return for refund. The problem here is the buyer has a similar item for sale and I expect the ol' switch-a-roo. Also, with a partial, that drags out the return another 30 days which is crazy IMO.

As far as buyers FB, buyers can only have positive FB so that is typically not helpful.

Also "recorded mailing" (whatever that is) won't guarantee anything other than delivery of something (I assume you mean registered). If your suggestiong the OP record (video) everything they sell, that is a waste of time.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

Finally something I can disagree with you about. ALL fess are paid by sellers, whether something sells or not. Buyers are nice for both sellers and eBay but if there were no sellers, eBay would not make one penny. I've yet to see an invoice from eBay on my buying id, yet I receive one every month like clockwork on my selling id.

Sellers pay listing fees and upgrade fees, unless they have some sort of subscription, or get some kind of 'free' promotion, or are higher volume sellers with special deals, or ....

But none of that means the site 'makes money' off sellers which is the gist of the comment you're replying to.  They probably don't even break even on those unsold listings.

Their money is made from other ventures like data mining and paid advertisements.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 25 of 35
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@phcd1 wrote:

Sellers pay listing fees and upgrade fees, unless they have some sort of subscription, or get some kind of 'free' promotion, or are higher volume sellers with special deals, or ....

But none of that means the site 'makes money' off sellers which is the gist of the comment you're replying to.  They probably don't even break even on those unsold listings.

Their money is made from other ventures like data mining and paid advertisements.

Still, if there was not ONE buyer, eBay would have income (by your own statement), I wasn't talking about profit. I stand by my statement that I have YET to receive an invoice on my buying id for buying. You always have to take things to the final step to see the result.

100% buyers and no sellers = 100% no income for eBay at all (buyers don't get invoiced from eBay)

100% sellers and no buyers = whatever income is derived from listings, stores, etc.

Profit?? Maybe not, but sellers keep eBay in business not buyers.

How many buyers would come here to see "paid advertisements" when ther are no sellers?

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

This is good advice, to be sure. But if they're determined to cheat you they will--with the more-or-less tacit blessing of eBay.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

welcome to life on desert ebay
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please
Message 28 of 35
latest reply

Based on the buyer's questions prior to buying, it's obvious that the buyer wanted a lower price than you would accept. So often, buyers will find fault in order to try to extort a partial refund from you.

Just tell the buyer, "return for refund." Don't give in to a partial and don't refuse the return. WHen sellers insist on a "no return policy," ebay will give them the refund and allow them to keep the item too, assuming that your refusal to take it back means you don't want it.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@phcd1 wrote:

@baggs-2017 wrote:

But this one is almost $400.  So it's a doozy....

I wound't sell anything over $100 here, thats my new limit because of the high fraudulent SNAD claims.

I won't sell anything over the price of a nice dinner.  I have an item that previously sold for 4K sitting on my shelf right next to me.  Originally I purchased it to resell at a much much lower price.  That having been said, what I paid for it would cost more than a nice dinner so I'm not willing to post it and sell it on eBay.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply