cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

I have been selling on eBay for 8 years, and have never had an issue until last week...

I sold a brand new, with tags, pristine condition designer bag to someone.  

While the auction was occuring the person who ended up buying the item contacted me a couple of times, asking multiple times what was the "lowest price" I would sell the bag for, and then prodding for free shipping.  I held out and they ended up winning the auction.  I also state that I do not accept returns - and have never been asked to accept one.

SO - a couple hours after USPS says the bag was delivered, I get a return request from the buyer.  They're claiming over and over again that the item I shipped them has "stains/discolorations" on it and is not in the same condition as the photos.

I checked the item over before I shipped it to quadruple check everything was perfect, and it was shipped in a dust bag and with lots of tissue padding.  My listing also had tons of super detailed close up pictures, and I checked everything over and over again - NO issues!  It was sent in pristine condition.  

And the buyer is insisting now that the moment they unpacked it, there were "discolorations" on the item.

I called eBay, and they weren't much help.  

I have tried to resolve by asking the buyer questions and letting them know repeatedly that the item I shipped them had no problems.  They keep claiming that they cannot keep the item.  

I need to be protected here -  how would it even be possible to insure that the item that is shipped back to me is the item that I shipped out to this person in the first place?  Furthermore, considering that I am 100% CERTAIN that I shipped them a pristine item, and they are now claiming this item has "damages" on it, how could I accept a high-priced item that was damaged on their watch?  

Then my mom sent me an article about people who have scammed department stores by buying authentic handbags and returning fake ones.  

And I noticed that the buyer of my item is also currently selling THE SAME HANDBAG, used, and in a different color.  I believe something fishy is occuring here and I do not want to get scammed!

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of situation before?

Does anyone have any advice on what I can/should do?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

I've had a similar selling situation:  I sold a couple of 50+ year old collectible items from the 1960's.  The same person bought both items at different times.  The first item was described as "lightly used", the second was "mint condition, unused"...please note these items were both mass produced back in the day, and only cost several dollars each!  BOTH TIMES, the buyer claimed that the items did not work, or had cosmetic imperfections (therefore not "mint"!).  The buyer even said that he used a magnifying glass and micrometer to examine the items!!!  I also had the "no returns, its an antique collectible" policy, but it made no difference:  either a full refund both times, or get a negative feedback and a lot of pressure from Ebay.  Buyer was permanently blocked.  Times are tough now.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Re: HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

@ub452 wrote:

I've had a similar selling situation:  I sold a couple of 50+ year old collectible items from the 1960's.  The same person bought both items at different times. ...

You should have blocked them the first time! I only only give 1 strike and you out as a buyer. (unless you contact me BEFORE a case opened or you have a valid case, which is rare).

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

OK helpful humans.  I told buyer I'd accept the return after I received photos verifying the item and the tags/seller's mark, etc.

Interestingly she sent a bunch of photos of the bag + packaging, but none of the tags/authenticity cards and attached shoulder strap.  Of course.  I asked her for these photos, and of course she says she's happy to send them, but eBay only allows her to send 10 photos.  She asked for personal email and I said she needs to upload to a link and send em through eBay.

The photos - they look like they COULD be the bag I sent her, but the lighting is so completely different, and it kind of looks like a lightly used version of the bag I sent to be honest.  Had others look, too.  There ARE discolorations on one side of the bag that are not present at all in my photos.  There is a super slight shading on that side of the bag if you REALLY SQUINT in my photo, but I remember this was just due to how the tissue was stuffed on the inside.  So - I'm not sure if she photoshopped it to return, or if she damaged the bag, or if I will get a different bag back or what, but I'll keep ya posted.

In the meantime I am waiting for my other photos and I have NO PROBLEM telling her that I will file a USPS report and a police report if I receive anything in the mail back other than the item I sent her in the same exact condition it was sent.  I would hope letting these people know that we are hip to their scams might halt them from pulling any **bleep**, but who knows.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

That is about all you can do.  Wait for the photos but ask her if she is returning the item exactly as received, with all (list your items), attached as they were when it was received.

Did she send you photos of the "damage"?

Do not let the time expire that you have to reply to the case.  Send the other responses now, before she chooses which path to take.  No acusingly, just let her know your process with returns.  You did let her know that you know that she is also a bag seller, right?  Make sure she knows that.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

I have just had the same problem with a buyer of a Kate Spade bag.  May I ask the id of the buyer?  Maybe if it is the same person and we know she is doing this it might help to do something about it....

Message 35 of 35
latest reply