cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

I have been selling on eBay for 8 years, and have never had an issue until last week...

I sold a brand new, with tags, pristine condition designer bag to someone.  

While the auction was occuring the person who ended up buying the item contacted me a couple of times, asking multiple times what was the "lowest price" I would sell the bag for, and then prodding for free shipping.  I held out and they ended up winning the auction.  I also state that I do not accept returns - and have never been asked to accept one.

SO - a couple hours after USPS says the bag was delivered, I get a return request from the buyer.  They're claiming over and over again that the item I shipped them has "stains/discolorations" on it and is not in the same condition as the photos.

I checked the item over before I shipped it to quadruple check everything was perfect, and it was shipped in a dust bag and with lots of tissue padding.  My listing also had tons of super detailed close up pictures, and I checked everything over and over again - NO issues!  It was sent in pristine condition.  

And the buyer is insisting now that the moment they unpacked it, there were "discolorations" on the item.

I called eBay, and they weren't much help.  

I have tried to resolve by asking the buyer questions and letting them know repeatedly that the item I shipped them had no problems.  They keep claiming that they cannot keep the item.  

I need to be protected here -  how would it even be possible to insure that the item that is shipped back to me is the item that I shipped out to this person in the first place?  Furthermore, considering that I am 100% CERTAIN that I shipped them a pristine item, and they are now claiming this item has "damages" on it, how could I accept a high-priced item that was damaged on their watch?  

Then my mom sent me an article about people who have scammed department stores by buying authentic handbags and returning fake ones.  

And I noticed that the buyer of my item is also currently selling THE SAME HANDBAG, used, and in a different color.  I believe something fishy is occuring here and I do not want to get scammed!

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of situation before?

Does anyone have any advice on what I can/should do?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

Did the buyer actually open a SNAD claim for the return? If so you'll need to respond to it by accepting the return and issuing them a pre-paid shipping label to return it at YOUR cost. Your no returns policy is trumped by ebays money back guarantee when buyers claim "not as described."

If they didn't open a claim and are at this point just messaging you, reply with this - 

Sorry you are not happy with your purchase. Please return to me at _______insert addy__________. I will issue a refund upon receipt.

Regards, 

You.

Repeat as needed, no need to go back and forth with this one. Also, block her so she cannot come back for round 2. Because you didn't buy in to her attempts at a lower price this may be her way to try and squeeze you for a partial refund. Don't fall for it. Return for refund (repeat, repeat, repeat).

The haggling and begging for a discount prior to her win should have been a red flag for you. You could have cancelled her bids (if any) and blocked her right then and there.

If she returns a bag different then what you sent, you're sort of SOL. You can file a police report and report her for mail fraud however, you really have no way to prove that YOU actually sent the same bag shown in your listing. Know what I mean?

Good luck....don't forget to block her.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Re: HELP! Buyer requesting return of new/perfect item they now claim is "damaged"

I keep reading about all these long time good, honest sellers getting ripped off lately. It seems like the return scam here on ebay has run rampant. It stinks. I hold my breath every time I send something out now. Shouldn't have to be that way for sellers.
I hope it works out for the OP.
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

It has gone way up since ebay changed their return policy. The scammers caught on quick. Buyers used to pay for almost all returns (some sellers paid willingly) to prevent this exact thing!

But ebay is trying to compete with the Big A and others sites who have the same policy. Screw the small sellers, bring in more customers.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

@youbebetty wrote:

Does anyone have any advice on what I can/should do?

Yes, many times.

I have found the solution is counter-intuitive to my way of thinking, like yourself I always used to try and "fix" the problem before the inevitable would happen. I have learned over time there is no fixing these things, and the below sums it up:

@youbebetty wrote:

I have tried to resolve by asking the buyer questions and letting them know repeatedly that the item I shipped them had no problems.  

It may be too late for this one since you already got into a conversation with the buyer, the best answer is always to offer an immediate solution as it has been my experience it is best to tackle ALL "buyer complaints after item receipt" with this simple answer:

Dear Buyer,

I am sorry if you are unhappy with your purchase, please return for a refund.

Thank you.

Seller

Nothing more, nothing less.

If the buyer has more to say, repeat the above.

I might additionally suggest limiting your answers/replies to one a day to prevent getting into a back-and-forth with the buyer.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

The first time I had the exact same thing.  They had remorse for what they paid, and claimed it was covered in coffee stains.  Funny, because I didn't drink it at the time, and how would they know?  I kept them talking, and they admitted it was just remorse.  I accepted the return on their dime, and got glowing feedback.  Basically, call during 8 a.m.-6 p.m. and get someone stateside.  The people in India, Pakistan, and wherever else just want you off the phone. The people in the States have a little more understanding and real training beyond just a script.  We've said on here many times that the solution can be getting the right rep.  Point out to them they were trying to get a rediculously low price repeatedly, and they won't send evidence of the damage.  They will read the messages, and hopefully do something to benefit you.  This is a common tactic and obvious they have remorse.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

If they haven't opened a return, tell them that you will gladly accept a return of the bag as "shipped" with all tags and other packaging, (as received).  You will issue a full refund when you verify your seller's mark on the item received back. Ask her if she maybe has your bag mixed up with another that she may have listed, because yours was perfect when shipped.  Ask her if maybe her carrier could have stolen or damaged it.  Make her aware that you will contact them to see if they damaged her item.  Get her thinking that you will report her to the usps for mail fraud if she did not receive what you shipped.

If she has opened a SNAD, Type that to her first, see what she types back, maybe ask for a photo of the item that shows your tags still attached, you have 3 business days to get her talking, so use them.  If she doesn't answer or sends a photo of something else, try again, keep her talking. You have pics of the tags, etc?  Again, tell her that once you verify the item's seller's mark, you will refund.

Make use of the time you have.  I would also print her listing wherein she is selling the same bag, just for future use.  Do not let any case go past the time you have to accept, but make use of those 3 days.  

No other conversation if she has not opened a return request.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Thank you all so much for your input, it really means a lot.

She did open a request to return, just a few hours after USPS says item was delivered.

So the person I spoke with on the phone at eBay told me they actually recommend NOT asking the other person for photos - that it may provoke them to cause damage to the item?  But the only way I would feel slightly comfortable going through with any sort of return on this would be to see clear and complete photos of the item this person will be shipping back to me, to insure that it is the same item in the same condition I shipped it to them in.  

I did ask the person if there were any package damages right away - I thought, perhaps in some sort of freak accident the package was left on their porch in the rain, and in some possibility ink transferred from the box to the inside of the bag?  Nope.  They said they brought it in right away and "opened it very carefully."  When I asked if they had worn it or possibly placed it on a colored surface that would have color transferred, they sent a long reply of no, and "please don't accuse me."

I'm going to call today and speak to a different rep and see what happens.  I still don't feel comfortable with this at all, given that I know I shipped out a perfect and brand new item, and given the high value of the item.  $600+tax brand new, and there are counterfeits out there left and right.

I'm also going to note that eBay, how much it stinks that the only option now is that I have to pay for their return shipping?  Because of the high value + insurance, it costs $20 to ship this item each way. 

If this person is not trying to scam me and they've just had buyer's remorse, it's pretty screwy to make me pay for their shipping back, again.  I only charged them $10 on the listing.  That's $30 out of my pocket because of a shady buyer.  I don't list items on here frequently enough for that to be something I'd get back easily.

If they are trying to scam me...eBay can and should do a better job of protecting their sellers.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Ebay will help their buyers, first and foremost.  You should follow the advice of fellow sellers here. 

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@youbebetty wrote:

...I also state that I do not accept returns - and have never been asked to accept one.... They're claiming over and over again that the item I shipped them has "stains/discolorations" on it and is not in the same condition as the photos....

I called eBay, and they weren't much help. ...   

I need to be protected here... 

Does anyone have any advice on what I can/should do?...

Well, the short answer is you can't do anything but refund and hope you get the same item back. There is no seller protection on eBay that I have found. I wrote back in Nov 2016 (on this id) on how to fight and maybe win a SNAD case, but it's not easy and time is of the essence. You can find it with a little looking around. The important things to know are:

1. EBay CS Rep's are less then knowledgeable (i.e. don’t trust what they say)
2. Do NOT let a case Timeout
3. Do NOT ask eBay to "Step in" (aka “help you” aka escalate)
4. ALWAYS get the reference number of the phone call, mark down the date and time
5. If the eBay CS Rep claims to have put notes in the case, have them emailed to you.
6. Never escalate a case unless you can get eBay to close it in your favor right then and there.

You only have 3 days to respond, so make them count. I would say "Return for refund" and HOPE you get the same item back. I would also BLOCK that buyer.

Good Luck

BTW 1 SNAD return in 8 years is very good. Most sellers are around 5% of their sales now. Also, there is no such thing as "No Returns" on eBay.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

You will not win this. The agent that advised you not to ask for photos had a very good point, as you have now seen how defensive your buyer got when you kept mentioning different ways it could have been damaged after it was delivered. 

If you get a different bag back, then hopefully your buyer/seller is dumb enough to list it and you might have a shot at appealing it. For now, quit communicating with her and just accept the return before eBay forces it.

Come back and let us know how it turns out.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@youbebetty wrote:

...the only way I would feel slightly comfortable going through with any sort of return on this would be to see clear and complete photos of the item this person will be shipping back to me, to insure that it is the same item in the same condition I shipped it to them in.  ...

I'm going to call today and speak to a different rep and see what happens.  I still don't feel comfortable with this at all, given that I know I shipped out a perfect and brand new item, and given the high value of the item.  $600+tax brand new, and there are counterfeits out there left and right.... it costs $20 to ship this item each way. ...

YOU being "comfortable" with the return does not have anything to do with it. You MUST respond to the case or work it as long as you can or you risk losing the case, money and the purse.

I don't see there is anywhere for you to go with this. The buyer does not have to send you photos or anything else. Simply say "Return for Refund" and HOPE you get the same item back. I would not offer a partial refund as the shipping is not that expensive. Issue the return shipping label and BLOCK her.

Be careful when you call eBay, eBay is NOT your friend.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

But this one is almost $400.  So it's a doozy.  Follow my advice, take your time and use it wisely.  If you have an experienced scammer, there is no way you can protect yourself, you will lose.  But you can gather info for an appeal if you get something other than your bag back.  Do not place your trust in the wrong bucket.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

@youbebetty wrote:

Thank you all so much for your input, it really means a lot.

She did open a request to return, just a few hours after USPS says item was delivered.

So the person I spoke with on the phone at eBay told me they actually recommend NOT asking the other person for photos - that it may provoke them to cause damage to the item?  But the only way I would feel slightly comfortable going through with any sort of return on this would be to see clear and complete photos of the item this person will be shipping back to me, to insure that it is the same item in the same condition I shipped it to them in.  

I did ask the person if there were any package damages right away - I thought, perhaps in some sort of freak accident the package was left on their porch in the rain, and in some possibility ink transferred from the box to the inside of the bag?  Nope.  They said they brought it in right away and "opened it very carefully."  When I asked if they had worn it or possibly placed it on a colored surface that would have color transferred, they sent a long reply of no, and "please don't accuse me."

I'm going to call today and speak to a different rep and see what happens.  I still don't feel comfortable with this at all, given that I know I shipped out a perfect and brand new item, and given the high value of the item.  $600+tax brand new, and there are counterfeits out there left and right.

I'm also going to note that eBay, how much it stinks that the only option now is that I have to pay for their return shipping?  Because of the high value + insurance, it costs $20 to ship this item each way. 

If this person is not trying to scam me and they've just had buyer's remorse, it's pretty screwy to make me pay for their shipping back, again.  I only charged them $10 on the listing.  That's $30 out of my pocket because of a shady buyer.  I don't list items on here frequently enough for that to be something I'd get back easily.

If they are trying to scam me...eBay can and should do a better job of protecting their sellers.

Unfortunately Ebays MBG overrides your no return policy and this buyer knows it.  You are probably going to get back a damaged bag that is not the one you sent and unfortunately Ebay backs the buyer so you will probably lose any appeal you try.  Even if the buyer sends back a rock or an empty box, Ebay does not care, they returned a package and the money is automatically taken from your Paypal account, even if it throws you into a negative.  

I'm sorry this happened to you, but when the buyer was trying to whittle you down on what your lowest price was and free shipping is when I would have blocked them immediately from any further bids.  She is probably hoping you will offer a partial refund (which is a whole other scam on ebay now).  I really hope that you receive your original bag back from the buyer in as good of shape as you orginally sent it.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:
...I'm sorry this happened to you, but when the buyer was trying to whittle you down on what your lowest price was and free shipping is when I would have blocked them immediately...

/\/\/\

THIS unfortunately is the correct answer.

I wonder what the buyers FB looks like, anything interesting in there??

Message 15 of 35
latest reply