cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Deception

My very first experience with FedEx shipping.  If there is a seller out there who's never tried FedEx, I just want to warn you.  I've sold a 1,5 lb roll of wallpaper and chose FedEx shipping, $8 supposedly - less expensive than USPS.  Now, a month later, Ebay has sent me an invoice showing that I owe $22 for FedEx!!  I've lost instead of earned by selling my wallpaper.  Even though all these numbers are not big compared to what many people deal with, but I'm just shocked to see the sheer deceptiveness of FedEx shipping option!!  So, those who are just starting to learn to sell on Ebay, be warned.  

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: FedEx Deception

it looks like there has been a change in the way fedex checks the packages.  due to the cost of the items we have shipped, we almost always use fedex or ups.  this sounds really scary, and the only way that you can definitely ensure against the weight surcharge is if you bring it in person to a fedex office.  i realize some of you cannot, so that isn't an option.  but for those who can... they will put it onto the scale in order to print a receipt.  at that point, you have 2 means to verify...

the first is to find out what their scales say the weight is as you stand there, and if you have a discrepancy, you would be able to not ship right then -- as others have said, the label you print on ebay for fedex is NOT charged to you unless the package actually goes through their system.  so, even tho you have printed the label, if you don't ship, there is no charge.

the second and most important thing for verification is that the receipt you get for a drop-off has that weight printed right there on the receipt.  when you drop off a pre-printed ebay fedex label, they don't do the dimensions...but, the weight is automatically printed because the package is sitting on the scale when they do it.  always check your receipt to verify the weight, and if you agree with the weight, then you will have PROOF of the weight in that receipt!!

one note... i don't believe we have ever dropped off multiple fedex packages, and if so, i don't know if they would show the weight of each individual package.  you would have to ask if you ever have that situation.  but for one package, a receipt would solve any weight issue.

i remember when they changed their system to dimensional weight, the first couple of months, the charges were indeed out of whack -- but that showed up on our ebay forms before we shipped...i didn't have any surprises.  however, that spooked me a bit because it was showing things like a 5-lb package costing 125 dollars. huh?  but, it settled down after a couple of months.  even so, that weirdness must still be in their system when you jump weights or dimensions as others here have explained.

the trouble is... we've had multiple usps packages either lost or misplaced for days or weeks en route, and the usps can never help us because their tracking isn't detailed enough.  one of my worst experiences was when purchasing an item on ebay, and about midway in transit, it just disappeared completely from their tracking.  the seller and i tried to get some answers for over a month, and my post office just closed the case when there was nothing else they could find out.  i guess they assumed we would just file for a lost-mail claim.  the problem was that it was a typical ebay one-of-a-kind vintage item, so the seller and i didn't want to give up.  finally...after going to the regional postmaster, we were told the package was lost in a long-haul truck fire.   why didn't any of the post offices we were working with have that info?  i don't know... don't know if it was real or not because i didn't see any big increase in lost package info on ebay discussions at the time.  but, NONE of the offices had that info and apparently couldn't get it.

we've also had several usps packages rerouted around the country  for days or weeks at a time before they were delivered.  this happened multiple times already -- including one next-day overnight package that they just sort of took an extra day to get there because the pickup time when they handed it to the truck was after 5pm that day.  there have been several ebay community posts about that from other people, too.  so, i don't trust the usps either.  sorry.

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

Kinda hard when the FedEx terminal is over an hours drive from my home and 2 hours from work.

No Kinko's nearby? I hear Walmart or is it Walgreen takes Fedex but not sure they give a receipt. Luckily I have all 3 carriers within 2 to 4 miles of home so I get a receipt even for a $5 item.

Nope, no Kinko's, There is a Walgreens in the next county. I've never heard of Walmart taking packages. Not sure if I'd trust them anyway. I dropped my small wristlet with my ID a CC, prescription card, AAA card and a little cash there. I realized where I had lost it. Went back and couldn't find it. Left my name the description and my phone numbers. After a couple days I figured it was gone and went about replacing the items. 6 MONTHS later they call, here the tag on it said that it was found the same day I lost it. 

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread and for all the excellent responses full of good info. I've been selling on eBay for 20 years and have always used USPS. I don't like to use FedEx or UPS from prior bad experiences. I had heard that this year eBay signed a new contract with FedEx and that the pricing was better for them now.

I was considering looking into switching over when I stumbled across this post. Now I've read through the entirety and know that I will never use FedEx at all. Everything will stay the same for me. I would never ship an item and have to pay later on for charges I never anticipated.

Imagine a restaurant where you order what you want, like a buffet. Then once you are full and wiping your chin, they bring you an over inflated check? You can't leave until you pay it! Would you go back to that restaurant? 

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

@jpkutmaltese wrote:

FedEx always rounds up, even if a package is 1.01 lbs., it will be rounded to 2 lbs.

Also, Actual/Original Weight and Billable Weight (Bill Wt.) are different. Billable weight is the larger value between actual weight and dimensional weight. Dimensional weight is size-based, so a light package can be marked as heavier due to size.  

Both of these metrics also apply on UPS. On Ground packages, you're basically renting a space on the truck. A large box that weighs 5 pounds is going to take up more space and will cost more because fewer other packages can now fit, than a small box which weighs 20 pounds.

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

Since you can’t speak to eBay now only by email,  1 rep had wrote that also about rounding up. Fedex website did say though that the package was 7 lbs on its tracking. But when they billed eBay they doubled the weight to 14 lbs & listed that the package was 1” more in width & 3” more in height. How can they explain a $59 more charge for a total of 4 inches more. That’s basically the size of a matchbox car. The total base rate came out to a $9.39 difference btw what I had had the package as and fedex said it was. So if they would have charged me $9.39 more , I would pay it & never use fedex again, but $59 more is ridiculous. If I would have chose  USPS to ship that item it would have been $23 total.

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

Ebay just handles the billing. Can't you contact Fedex about it?

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

Ebay just handles the billing. Can't you contact Fedex about it?

The FedEx account belongs to Nate Heyward at eBay, and FedEx will only talk to the account owner/company about those shipments. Just like FedEx won't talk to anyone else if you have an account at FedEx.

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

this is ebay stealing money not a problem at all for them

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

I just got off the phone with Fedex customer service and received the routine "we can't discuss the charges because eBay is the account holder, not you".   They did confirm that the weight I had entered and that they had for this item on the tracking number were the same.  The conversation, although not directly stated by the FedEx rep, is leading me to believe that the error may be eBay inflating the weight and dimensional billing.   With the number of cases and dissatisfied sellers I would think that a class action case to recoup our overcharges might be an idea?

Aspen GRILL OVERCHARGE.JPG

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

Isn't it odd that the FedEx-claimed dimensions are exactly double your measured dimensions? I think you'd remember if the package was 8' long. Would a 94" x 30" x 24" box even fit in your car?

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

Almost the same thing happened to me! I sold an item and FedEx quote was the cheapest ($8.32) so decided to try it even though it said it was "estimated" cost but I figured it might be off by a $1 or $2 so no biggy. I was wrong. They ended up charging me twice: $11.82 and then again $17.98 for the same package.

Bellow is their explanation for the first charge being different from their estimate. There is no explanation of the second charge.

Estimated Shipping Cost: $8.32
Tracking #:
Orig Wt: 2.3125; Orig Dims: 12.0x12.0x2.0 in;
Disc: $8.32;

Actual Shipping Cost: $11.82
Tracking #:
Bill Wt: 7.0; Bill Dims: 16.0x13.0x5.0 in;
Base rate: $13.72; Resi: $3.15; Fuel: $0.59; Disc: $5.64;

I measured and weighed my package and when I dropped it off at FedEx, I had FedEx employee weigh and measure it again and they confirmed it was accurate but they wouldn't give me a confirmation on the price because they said e-bay has an agreement with FedEx and their prices are different from retail and supposedly cheaper. It ended up costing me almost $30 instead of quoted $8.32. Never again! I'm thinking of reporting them to BBB and maybe state attorney's office. Not sure. Any suggestions?

Also, tried to get help from e-bay but all they did is file a dispute with FedEx and told me to "patiently wait" for their reply. What a scam!

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

The fact that the FedEx cost was less than USPS should have been a red flag. USPS is government subsidized and FedEx is a private for profit company. USPS is almost always cheaper than a for profit company but there are some cases where they are more cost efficient usually for larger packages. This happened once USPS went to dimensional weight for larger packages. Weight is not always a factor with USPS. I have shipped 58 pounds of casting lead in a USPS priority mail medium flat rate box. I didn't even bother to calculate the shipping using any other provider. There was no way they were going to beat the USPS cost of $13.20 for shipping. This was a package that went from Virginia to Colorado. 

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The fact that the FedEx cost was less than USPS should have been a red flag. USPS is government subsidized and FedEx is a private for profit company. USPS is almost always cheaper than a for profit company but there are some cases where they are more cost efficient usually for larger packages. This happened once USPS went to dimensional weight for larger packages. Weight is not always a factor with USPS. I have shipped 58 pounds of casting lead in a USPS priority mail medium flat rate box. I didn't even bother to calculate the shipping using any other provider. There was no way they were going to beat the USPS cost of $13.20 for shipping. This was a package that went from Virginia to Colorado. 

AH-HA ! So that was you. LOL On my previous route I had a guy that would get these heavy MFRB's and thats what he said was in them. He made fishing lures. That was back before we started delivering Amazon and people started buying dog food, cat litter and cases of energy drinks on line. A box that heavy was rare, now I get several 50#+ boxes daily.

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

Guilty. 😊  Most of the boxes I ship with USPS are in the 5-6 pound range but on occasion I have some crazy heavy item that fits in a flat rate box and I get more than my money's worth. To be honest I am surprised USPS has not changed the weight limits on the flat rate packages. 

Before Dim-weight shipping I sent a full sized beer keg (empty of course) from Virginia to Ohio for about $30 and a 7' long six inch piece of PVC that held a fishing rod, got some strange looks when I took that package into the post office but it was under the 103" limit. That one went from Virginia to Florida for a nominal cost of about $20 or so. 

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

After Hubby passed, I shipped the portion of his fishing equipment that his youngest brother wanted (the man could have opened a fishing store). Dale at the time was stationed in Hawaii. I shipped 7 fishing poles a case of reels and 2 large full tackleboxes. The poles I loaded into PVC with a string around the handle end securing it so it wouldn't hit the fragile tip. 3 banded together bundled 6 of the 7 in 2 packages and the other a long 2 piece salt water rod was a bundle of 2 pipes. Dale still uses the pipes as transport cases on fishing trips 16 years later. 

Message 45 of 46
latest reply