cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Deception

My very first experience with FedEx shipping.  If there is a seller out there who's never tried FedEx, I just want to warn you.  I've sold a 1,5 lb roll of wallpaper and chose FedEx shipping, $8 supposedly - less expensive than USPS.  Now, a month later, Ebay has sent me an invoice showing that I owe $22 for FedEx!!  I've lost instead of earned by selling my wallpaper.  Even though all these numbers are not big compared to what many people deal with, but I'm just shocked to see the sheer deceptiveness of FedEx shipping option!!  So, those who are just starting to learn to sell on Ebay, be warned.  

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: FedEx Deception (FRAUD)

It looks like I used the interior box for the dimensions instead of the shipping box but that only added 10 inches total outside length so the difference should have been minor. Packed with paper and bubble wrap and secured with packing tape - same as I have shipped every package for 20 years. The FedEx "actual" weight is a complete fabrication. It weighed 5 pounds plus about three ounces on my postal scale. There is absolutely no way this pair of shoes in a cardboard box weighed in at 21 pounds at the depot unless someone was leaning on the scale.

FedEx 2-day delivery was selected - because that was the lowest cost option on the shipping selections!

Also - they are billing me for the entire "actual" shipping cost of $96.34, even though I already paid $15.73 when I printed the label.

Origin Zip: 83401

Destination Zip:  24017-2510

Estimated Shipping Cost: $15.73
Tracking #: 390938349519
Orig Wt: 5.0; Orig Dims: 15.0x12.0x9.0 in;
Base rate: $110.44; Disc: -$94.71;

Actual Shipping Cost: $96.34
Tracking #: 390938349519
Bill Wt: 21.0; Bill Dims: 19.0x15.0x12.0 in;
Base rate: $148.21; Disc: $51.87;

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

@randbcollectibles 

Here is my FedEx bill archeology ...

Orig Wt: 5.0; Orig Dims: 15.0x12.0x9.0 in

This is the information that you provided to eBay in order to generate the label.  You said it has an actual weight of 5 pounds and a dimensional weight of 10 pounds (15x12x9/166) ... you should be charged for the higher of the two, or 10 pounds.

FedEx 2-day at 10 pounds is $15.73, regardless of zone.  And that appears to be consistent with your estimate.

Bill Wt: 21.0; Bill Dims: 19.0x15.0x12.0 in
Notice that this is the "billing weight" and not the actual weight.  Shippers use the higher of the actual weight and the dimensional weight, and this is the billing weight.  The actual weight of 6 pounds (5 pounds 3 ounces rounds up to 6 pounds) would not be used here because the dimensional weight is 21 pounds (19x15x12/166).

On eBay, FedEx 2-day shipping is deeply discounted for 10 pounds and less, but the price can skyrocket for 11 pounds or more.  In your case, I think 83401 to 24017 is a Zone 7 shipment ... 10 pounds is 15.73, and 11 pounds is 62.82.  See the skyrocket?  The price of 96.34 is correct for a 21 pound package going to Zone 7.

Also - they are billing me for the entire "actual" shipping cost of $96.34, even though I already paid $15.73 when I printed the label.

When you print a FedEx label, you do not pay for it - that is just an estimate based on what you said.  After FedEx analyzes your package, they send you the bill to be paid.  So, you only paid once.

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

There are just so many reasons not to use FedEx.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

That exponential rate escalation is insane. The way it was presented on screen, it appeared 2-day was reasonable. Otherwise I would have selected normal Ground. I will not be using FedEx again for anything from now on.

I double checked my card invoices and it looks like you were right on the charge. It didn't go through yet so it wasn't double billed after all.

I'm pretty much done with Ebay I think. It's completely dysfunctional compared to what it was a few years ago. I used to only have to worry about buyers trying to scam me, not Ebay/FedEx as well. I'll just go back to using my local auction house.  They are much less deceptive than Ebay and everything always sells for a good price.

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

I've also noticed on the invoice that my package was 3lb instead of 1.5.  I measured it accurately and even rounded up the weight.  I've contacted Ebay and received a text response from them.  They said I should contact FedEx.  

At least with USPS it's always transparent, you pay for your label, print it out, take the package to the post office and you are done.  With FedEx you later learn that there is some sort of a difference between"dimensional" and "non-dimensional" weight.  I'm glad that I didn't lose a lot but learned some interesting details.  Sorry you've lost a more significant amount.  

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

Almost verbatim  the situation that happened to me.   I was shipping something from NY to CA and fedex seemed like the cheapest option.    See response below.. how does something go from shipping cost of $15.73 to $65.83... a 350% increase.. I feel that this was a bait and switch tactic.    In the future, I will never use fedex again.   Only USPS....

See  below the response I received today from an Ebay representative.

Thank you for contacting eBay in regards with your fees. Let me explain it to you.

FedEx always rounds up, even if a package is 1.01 lbs., it will be rounded to 2 lbs. Please keep this in mind in your calculations.

Are you using your own or FedEx packaging? FedEx One Rate pricing will increase drastically if the customer used their own packaging, because One Rate is a FedEx package based service and will be adjusted according if FedEx packaging was not used.

Also, Actual/Original Weight and Billable Weight (Bill Wt.) are different. Billable weight is the larger value between actual weight and dimensional weight. Dimensional weight is size-based, so a light package can be marked as heavier due to size.  

Here's the details:

Tracking #: 391487826019

Orig Wt: 10.0; Orig Dims: 20.0x12.0x6.0 in;

Base rate: $103.58; Disc: -$87.85;

Actual Shipping Cost: $65.83

Bill Wt: 12.0; Bill Dims: 20.0x12.0x6.0 in;

Base rate: $101.28; Disc: $35.45;

I know this may not have been the news you were expecting, but I hope I explained everything clearly.

Thanks,

Marge D.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

I have only shipped 3 items via FedEx. all three were cell phones going to Verizon's insurance dept with pre-paid labels that had tracking.

First one I called for pick up at my home. FedEx demanded $11.45c to pick up and had to be paid in cash to the driver. No tracking number was ever entered and the item never arrived. Had to pay full price for replacement phone.

Second was put in the FedEx drop box at the local truck stop. Tracking never showed anything and I had to pay full price for the replacement phone.

The third I went to the Verizon store talked to the manager. She agreed to personally hand the package off to FedEx. She did and the package was  never shown on tracking and the insurance department stated it never arrived. Verizon comped the phone.

Since then all the pre-paid labels (yes my family is hard on phones) have been through USPS, tracked perfectly and have taken 2 top 3 days to be delivered and our account updated.

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

First one I called for pick up at my home. FedEx demanded $11.45c to pick up and had to be paid in cash to the driver. No tracking number was ever entered and the item never arrived. Had to pay full price for replacement phone.

Second was put in the FedEx drop box at the local truck stop. Tracking never showed anything and I had to pay full price for the replacement phone.

The third I went to the Verizon store talked to the manager. She agreed to personally hand the package off to FedEx. She did and the package was  never shown on tracking and the insurance department stated it never arrived. Verizon comped the phone.

Since then all the pre-paid labels (yes my family is hard on phones) have been through USPS, tracked perfectly and have taken 2 top 3 days to be delivered and our account updated.

Only common sense to get a receipt when handing over or dropping off a package whether it's at Fedex, UPS or USPS. Shipped dozens of times with all 3 and only had an unexpected surcharge when sending an unboxed tire.

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@lja440 wrote:

Only common sense to get a receipt when handing over or dropping off a package whether it's at Fedex, UPS or USPS. Shipped dozens of times with all 3 and only had an unexpected surcharge when sending an unboxed tire.

Kinda hard when the FedEx terminal is over an hours drive from my home and 2 hours from work.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

Kinda hard when the FedEx terminal is over an hours drive from my home and 2 hours from work.

No Kinko's nearby? I hear Walmart or is it Walgreen takes Fedex but not sure they give a receipt. Luckily I have all 3 carriers within 2 to 4 miles of home so I get a receipt even for a $5 item.

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

@jpkutmaltese wrote:

how does something go from shipping cost of $15.73 to $65.83... a 350% increase.. I feel that this was a bait and switch tactic.

Orig Wt: 10.0; Orig Dims: 20.0x12.0x6.0 in;

Base rate: $103.58; Disc: -$87.85;

Actual Shipping Cost: $65.83

Bill Wt: 12.0; Bill Dims: 20.0x12.0x6.0 in;

Base rate: $101.28; Disc: $35.45;

@jpkutmaltese 

Three things with respect to this shipment:

1. FedEx 2-day rates offered to eBay sellers are deeply discounted for 10 pounds and under, but as soon as they hit 11 pounds then the rates skyrocket because they don't have the deep discount.  In your case, this looks like a Zone 8 shipment ... 10 pounds is $15.73, 11 pounds is $62.82, and 12 pounds is $65.83.  Do you see that huge price jump from 10 pounds to 11 pounds?
  2. Your dimensional weight is 9 pounds, so dimensions will not come into play in this shipment.
  3. Since I am seeing a 12 pound billing weight, then my assumption is that the FedEx scales weighed the package, and it was between 11.1 and 11.9 pounds rather than the 10 pounds that you suggested or measured. 

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

For 2 pounds to increase the price by 350%... i feel like i was robbed.

Thanks for the information.  I weighted it on a regular household scale since my digital scale does not go above 

5 lbs.     Now i learned my lesson especially about using fedex.

Peter

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

While there are some discounts using UPS or FedEx thru eBay, you still have to go to UPS's and pretty sure FedEx's sites to complete the transaction. I stopped using FedEx last year so may be wrong on having to go to their site after charges were invoiced thru eBay 3 months after shipping at a higher price.

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

To be frank I've been done with FedEx entirely for several years now. I stick strictly to USPS for both buying and selling. I've had more misdelivered packages from FedEx than I've had from all other shipping services COMBINED. If you ship to/from rural areas they simply will not find the address or will leave it at the first house they can find. I've had packages left in an empty field, left at abandoned properties and even once another person's packages hidden under a plant stand in my yard and only discovered months later. FedEx is garbage and I'm done with them.
Message 29 of 46
latest reply

Hi Rising Star,

I was wondering what the out come of this was. I also paid $15 for a fedex label, then was charged $75 later by eBay/fedex. The box only weights 7 lbs,  14 x 12 x 9. Fedex told eBay the box was 14 x 13 x 12 and was billed at 14 lbs, but when you track the package it says it weight 7lbs on fedex website. eBay told me fedex denied my claim. Since you still can’t call eBay, I’m still trying to fight it with eBay through email but still received no response. I’m was thinking to start a class action lawsuit. 

Message 30 of 46
latest reply