cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed Ex and UPS Shipping on eBay

In the past I've read a few horror stories here in the community about sellers purchasing Fed Ex and UPS labels via eBay at a great price and then a few weeks later being billed additional astronomical amounts.

I currently need to ship a large heavy sale cross country.  I compared cost for Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS for the buyer using each of those entities websites and they were pretty much similar in cost for ground.  USPS was lowest but only by a bit. 

But, after the sale, I'm seeing in the eBay label generator that both FedEx and UPS are about half of the USPS price.   

I'd love to save my buyer some money but don't want to get hit with the bill myself in a couple weeks.  

Any advise or knowledge from your past experience would be much appreciated.  

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fed Ex and UPS Shipping on eBay

Thanks for the responses.  

Thanks for the link, that is very interesting.  However, eBay does tout that "let them worry about the correct calculations" so all of that should be covered and calculated by eBay when you use their labels.  I am entering the exact measurements and weight.  And they obviously know what is being shipped.  

My question is mainly whether you can trust that the eBay calculations for Fed Ex and UPS are correct and from a recent post I am just now reading regarding Fed Ex additional charges and by your responses that you need to check these additional charges yourself then evidently you have no way of knowing if eBay label costs includes those or not and cannot trust the calculations, at least not now.  

Thanks again everyone.  

Quite welcome. As I mentioned in several other posts I got hit by one UPS surcharge using an eBay label and have not used eBay to purchase labels in a LONG time. I have little faith in their quotes for UPS and FedEx. I moved to Pirate Ship for purchasing labels and have 100% confidence in their label costs which are often at the same discounted rate, sometimes better, than eBay's. 

I also pay for the Pirate Ship labels with a cash back credit card which further reduces actual shipping costs. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The rates you get on the individual sites are probably full retail and do not reflect the eBay discounted rates. However, eBay may not be calculating any of the UPS or FedEx surcharges into the cost they are showing you. What are you shipping, what are the dim's, how much does it weigh and where are you shipping from and to? 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

"What are you shipping, what are the dim's, how much does it weigh and where are you shipping from and to? "

It's definitely dim surcharges oversize package and across country east coast to west.  Nothing hazardous being shipped, just large and heavy.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I always use UPS for larger items and never had a serious  problem, just make sure that you have your measurements' and weights correct especially if is near any of the maximum allowable dimensions because if your package  goes over those it will be very very expensive. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"What are you shipping, what are the dim's, how much does it weigh and where are you shipping from and to? "

It's definitely dim surcharges oversize package and across country east coast to west.  Nothing hazardous being shipped, just large and heavy.

That still doesn't tell me much. It may be more than just DIM charges. Following are the links to the UPS and FedEx surcharges that may or may not be calculated into the UPS and FedEx figures you get on the eBay shipping costs. 

https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/en_US/Accessorial_Preview.pdf 

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/FXE_FXG_Surcharges_and_Fees_2024.p... 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the link, that is very interesting.  However, eBay does tout that "let them worry about the correct calculations" so all of that should be covered and calculated by eBay when you use their labels.  I am entering the exact measurements and weight.  And they obviously know what is being shipped.  

My question is mainly whether you can trust that the eBay calculations for Fed Ex and UPS are correct and from a recent post I am just now reading regarding Fed Ex additional charges and by your responses that you need to check these additional charges yourself then evidently you have no way of knowing if eBay label costs includes those or not and cannot trust the calculations, at least not now.  

Thanks again everyone.  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks again everyone.  

Quite welcome. As I mentioned in several other posts I got hit by one UPS surcharge using an eBay label and have not used eBay to purchase labels in a LONG time. I have little faith in their quotes for UPS and FedEx. I moved to Pirate Ship for purchasing labels and have 100% confidence in their label costs which are often at the same discounted rate, sometimes better, than eBay's. 

I also pay for the Pirate Ship labels with a cash back credit card which further reduces actual shipping costs. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I am going to check into Pirate Ship immediately.  Thanks for the tip. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

i recommend ups and dont trust fed-x cause at timetake to long i buy my shipping label here on e-bay always regarless what others that here might say ive ship many heavy item i also had a few damaged item and got paid back from ups ez-pz if you know how to fill a insur.. claim on there sight never tru ebay like others think just make sure you pack it safe giveng a xytra pound on label as well as inches and you will be ok i advise it cause ive done it for yrs not only read about it like other and give you false advise you decide

Message 9 of 9
latest reply