cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost adjustments for shipping labels ~USPS Class Action Lawsuit~

I'm getting really tired of USPS ripping me off.  Not only has USPS been overcharging for click and chip since last December but I've gotten 3 Cost adjustments for shipping labels the last week. 

The first was actually a month ago. It was a  1oz package that I paid almost $4 for 1st classs. USPS said it weighed 12oz. There is NO WAY it could be that much. Not even close. I opened a case and surprise I was denied. 

Last week I shipped a book. It was exactly 1 pound packed so I paid for medial mail for 1 pound. USPS said it was 1 pound 2 oz. They charged me an addiction $3.45 for shipping.  I already paid $2.85 so why was I charged more than double?

Just now, the same thing. I know the book was under 1 pound packed. Nope, USPS said it was 1 pound 4 oz. Again they changed me more than double what it should have been. 

I ship hundreds of flat 1 oz envelopes that should cost less than $1 for first-class but USPS has on average been charging me over $3.00 each. Again, flat and 1 oz at most. 

Clearly, its stated that Cost adjustments for shipping labels go BOTH WAYS. I get charged if I underpay and I'm supposed to get a refund when I overpay.

In all the years I've been drastically overpaying they have never once sent me money back. 

I would think this would end up in a class-action lawsuit like it did when Paypal was overcharging. 

And before it's brought up my scale is calibrated and perfectly accurate.  Much better than I'm sure USPS scales. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Cost adjustments for shipping labels ~USPS Class Action Lawsuit~

Interesting. I can't say I ship a LOT through USPS but I've never had an adjustment yet with them. I'll be watching this to see what others have to say though.

With UPS shipping (which I do most of my shipping with) its about 50-50 up and down. I figure I break even.

If you want adjustment horror stories. Read Fedex adjustments. I will not ship FedEx.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Try USPS I stopped using them about 15 years ago. Nothing but problems and USPS is getting close to the same. I'm so glad I'm nearly retired. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I would start standing in line at the post office to get an acceptance receipt so that they weigh them right there in front of you. 

I've had 4 adjustments so far. two were actually my fault, I put in the wrong weight, not paying attention. The other 2 I had reversed and got my money back, One was a 1oz package that somehow weighed a 1 lb later on (probably got stuck to another package), and one they said I used a regular priority box when it was in fact a regional box a. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

How are you guys being notified of USPS adjustments? And how are you appealing? Historically if something was off I thought they expected the recipient to pay the difference before the package was delivered.

In regards to the other post-paid guys (UPS, FedEx) is their anyway to tell if they do adjustments other than go through ever single line on your invoice and compare it to what you were originally told you'd be billed at the time you created the label?

I only have so much time in the day, I would find it extremely helpful if I was notified anytime I was billed more than what I was given as an estimate at the time I created a label

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

For USPS, the money is taken right out of my paypal account, and I get an email from ebay. The email tells you the amount and the reason. You can then appeal through a special 800 number or email address. 

For FedEx, I havent seen any notification or way to tell other than at the end of the month my invoice doesnt reconcile like it should. So then I have to search through all the fedex shipments to find it. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

1.  " I thought they expected the recipient to pay the difference before the package was delivered".  

Wrong assumption - the seller is 100% responsible for shipping  a correct label with sufficent postage paid. .   Don't think any buyer would appreciate  being "shorted sheeted" for insufficient postage  costs.

2.  "I would find it extremely helpful if I was notified anytime I was billed more than what I was given as an estimate at the time I created a label"  

When you buy a shipping label and you enter in the correct weight, package size,  carrier service  with an  appropriate box/envelope you will get  charged the appropriate cost provided your scale is correct and you round up your weights and measurement. 

Good rule of thumb to go buy "Measure twice cut once"  and don't estimate.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

1.  " I thought they expected the recipient to pay the difference before the package was delivered".  

Wrong assumption - the seller is 100% responsible for shipping  a correct label with sufficent postage paid. .   Don't think any buyer would appreciate  being "shorted sheeted" for insufficient postage  costs.

2.  "I would find it extremely helpful if I was notified anytime I was billed more than what I was given as an estimate at the time I created a label"  

When you buy a shipping label and you enter in the correct weight, package size,  carrier service  with an  appropriate box/envelope you will get  charged the appropriate cost provided your scale is correct and you round up your weights and measurement. 

Good rule of thumb to go buy "Measure twice cut once"  and don't estimate.

Of course the seller is responsible. It doesn't meant that USPS hasn't historically had a policy of "postage due" (for well over a 100 years) that is collected directly from the recipient unless they refuse at which point the package would be marked "return to sender".  Are you telling me you've never heard of that?  I've been around long enough to know the idea of USPS billing the insufficient postage back to the seller wasn't even floated as an idea until 2016/2017 and it started in small part with a direct partnership with eBay. To this day depending on how the package is sent the USPS will still collect postage due from the recipient. 

And you're telling me that everyone who has been charged a rate above what was advertised from FedEx via eBay incorrectly measured or weighed (or both) their package? Based on how common of a theme that is in this thread and other seller communities I highly doubt that. Regardless my problem with that is their is absolutely no notification. None. One would have compare the "quotes" at the time of shipment to what was billed on their invoice.

I kind of like what DHL does and that is they charge the estimate + 20% as a buffer and then a final charge comes through within 1-2 days after the item has been picked up and processed on their end.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yes I have heard of the  postage due being paid by the precipitant but as you stated they  can refuse and have it sent back to the sender.  What I said it ain't good  a selling policy.  If you do your homework properly it should not happen.  Have shipped 1600 packages on eBay and received  about 300 packages and never had an postage due issue issue.

The USPS introduced the  APV in 2017 to all USPS  on line buyers of shipping labels.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/USPS-Begins-Automated-Package-Verification-Changing-Unde...

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

What ticks me off is that I open a case with USPS and they just auto deny it. I've never gotten a dime back in all these years. That just incentivizes them to count or overcount every tiny thing or even a lot of the time nothing since there is no repercussion for them. It doesn't matter that I can prove it was shipped correctly when its just more money for USPS and it's all automated. 

Of the ones recently, I sent them proof and still got denied. And I have the receipts from the post office since they stopped scanning them if I don't wait in line.  

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Im going through the same thing,  my 7 oz  is being recharged as 15 oz.

Most of my packages dont get scanned, as I drop them off,  I now

get most of them scanned now and have receipts. All my shipping is with ebay labels.

I received my ebay message about my cost adjustments today for the

current time that they send these to us.

I could verfiy the refunds that were made but only up to may 7th. I go to all transactions

to see this information and scroll all the way to see the bottom of the page.

I went to my may invoice and can see which ones did get credited.

I cant check April because it doesnt show the information like the  may invoice  does

It does show the 2 that Im disputing by sending that email to verifly at usps.'but this is on my May invoice.

Im waiting  to see when I get a charge back for one that I have a receipt for the weight and cost

from a certified usps scale.

I spent a few hours with ebay CS today and they could not find my missing refunds 

I think those are not being refunded back on to the payments 

that are shown on the cost adjustment message.

Seems any before may 7th are not there, 

Hope Im explaining this ok,  if enough sellers have this problem from what I read

it will qualify for a class action, I will 100% do one if it qualifies.

Dan

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I've had this problem off and on for months now.  It used to be when you emailed verifypostage, they would come back with scans from multiple locations to confirm or deny there was an issue with a scanner.  Now, it seems they just auto-deny any disputes.  

I can accept when they tell me the 5oz package I mailed weighed 6oz.  But last week, I mailed a 1lb  2oz item.  Shipping weight boxed and packed just under 2lbs, I rounded up.  They charged me for 3lbs 2oz which was DOUBLE what I should have been charged.  Last month, I mailed a PHONE with weight rounded up to 1lb and they charged me for 3lbs.  I've been hit with 4 of these in the past 2 months, and every one of them is not a small amount, these are all $5+ upcharges.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Sounds like you need a new scale.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

happen to me to to many times 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply