cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflicting info on shipping refund

A buyer in th UK opened a "buyer changed mind" return request. I do accept returns but I am wondering about the refund of the original shipping cost.

I have searched the help pages and I am coming up with conflicting information. Any help would be appreciated.

If you return an item for any other reason, including changing your mind about a purchase, the seller can keep any restocking fee specified in the listingReturn policy.

In these situations, your original shipping charge usually isn't refunded. Check the listing Return policy for specifics on shipping charges. You may also have to pay the return shipping charges.

For this type of return, your refund is usually the total purchase price, including item cost, sales tax, and other charges, less:

• Original shipping (unless specified otherwise in the listing Return policy)
  • Restocking fee (if specified in the listing Return policy)
  • Return shipping (if specified in the listing Return policy)

AND THIS:

You accept returns in your policy and the buyer changed their mind about a purchase

If you stated in your listing's return policy that you accept returns, your buyer can return the item to you, even if they've changed their mind.

Here are your response options:

Accept the return – The buyer will send the item back to you for a full refund, including original shipping costs. If you stated in the listing that you'll cover return shipping charges, choose how you'll arrange for the item to be returned.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Conflicting info on shipping refund

You do refund original shipping, but since this is clearly a buyers remorse return, she pays to ship the item back to you.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I find it confusing, though, that the policy that I found tells the seller, that they have to refund the total including original shipping, and that it tells the buyer, that orig. shipping will be deducted from the refund amount.

Since this was an international sale, I don't like the idea of being out $15 because the buyer didn't read the description...

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@whitcomb-girl you don’t refund the original shipping cost. You refund the item price only unless you offered free shipping. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thank you, that's what I was hoping for. There was no free shipping... So there should be an option to deduct shipping once the item is returned?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

wrote:

Thank you, that's what I was hoping for. There was no free shipping... So there should be an option to deduct shipping once the item is returned?

Yes, if the return reason selected by the buyer is a remorse reason 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I still need help with this case. I have now received the item back but because no tracking was used, the case is still stuck at "Return Started." The money is being held by paypal and the only option I have is to "Refund the Buyer now." However, that means the whole amount including original shipping. There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the amount. So, am I stuck with refunding the whole amount on this buyer's remorse case, including $15 initial international shipping?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the amount. So, am I stuck with refunding the whole amount on this buyer's remorse case, including $15 initial international shipping?

You could phone eBay and see if they can do something, but my impression has been that only select sellers have the option to edit the refund amount.  Otherwise, the only deduction can be the restocking fee % which is automatically applied.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Yeah, that's possible... 

As per the previous answers, I thought that I would have the opportunity to adjust the refund amount after it shows DELIVERED. But since there was no tracking, it doesn't show that it was returned. I guess I could wait until the case closes by itself and then issue a partial refund? He already left neutral feedback and he can't open a Paypal case as long as the ebay case is open, correct?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Don't do anything.https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31NfZGCvNrL.jpg

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@whitcomb-girl wrote:

He can't open a Paypal case as long as the ebay case is open, correct?

Yes he can, but he would have to return the item again to get a refund.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

he can't open a Paypal case as long as the ebay case is open, correct?

There have been a couple of recent posters that said they were blocked from filing with paypal, but the longstanding policy has been that opening a paypal or credit card case automatically closes the eBay case.  As the previous poster mentioned, paypal would require a return as well.  If he moved on to a credit card chargeback, they might find in the buyer's favor without tracking.  Also, Paypal (and even eBay) rules might be different in the buyer's country.

I guess I could wait until the case closes by itself and then issue a partial refund?

I am not sure if that gets you an eBay defect or not.  I am also a little uneasy about the idea of pretending the buyer did not return the item just because it's to your advantage.

FWIW, technically, you are not entitled to deduct anything from the buyer's refund that is not stated in your agreement (in this case, your eBay listing).  It's unfair to the buyer to spring a hidden fee on them after the fact.  If you are concerned about future situations, you should spell it out in your return policy.

I'm curious if the buyer is aware of your intention to keep part of his payment?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

The money is being held by paypal and the only option I have is to "Refund the Buyer now." 

I refund buyers often before the tracking updates as delivered (but of course only if I have received the item back such as in your case).   

If you click on "Refund the Buyer now", you will be taken to a 2nd screen where you should be able to refund only the purchase amount and NOT the original shipping.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Well, he should know because of the ebay policy I copied in my OP:

For this type of return [changed mind], your refund is usually the total purchase price, including item cost, sales tax, and other charges, less:

• Original shipping (unless specified otherwise in the listing Return policy)
  • Restocking fee (if specified in the listing Return policy)
  • Return shipping (if specified in the listing Return policy)

So unless my return policy states that I do refund original shipping, the default would be that shipping is not refunded. Am I reading this wrong?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

When I've returned items on a "buyer's remorse" basis, I definitely DID have to pay return shipping, and the original shipping cost was deducted from the refund.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply