cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers who lie to force a return

I sold a machine and the buyer opened a return request, saying it didn't work. I don't accept returns, but I tried to help him with understanding how to operate the product. He opened a 'not as described' case. He then told me he had a technician examine the machine internally and that he found a defect in it. Since I was not able to confirm or refute that, I granted the return. EBay gave him a full refund. When I received the returned machine I inspected and tested it, and found absolutely nothing wrong with it. I am an experienced technician and am qualified to determine that. The buyer constructed a pack of lies to force a return without any legitimate reason. I reported the buyer and blocked him from future transactions. I lost $65 in shipping costs and eBay will not reimburse me. I appealed the case and sent eBay photos showing the machine in operating mode, proving that it worked properly and was as described. They ignored the proof and denied the appeal. I complained and the eBay rep told me they would review the appeal and respond in five days. They never responded.

Seller beware. Even when you provide proof eBay will ignore it. Abuse of the buyer protection policy is not taken seriously. At eBay the buyer is always right, even when the buyer lies to screw the seller.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Buyers who lie to force a return

@trex101 wrote:

I have a buyer who says he received a damaged electronics item from me and put in an eBay/PayPal claim that it's "Not As Descibed". I disagree with this, since the unit was shipped in good physical condition and was packed correctly, but yet I have to take a loss because USPS damaged it? Not fair....not fair at all. I tried for 2 hours to reach USPS both by phone and email - the latter says it's "down" and to try back later. What a joke. I will not, EVER, ship anything via USPS again. 

Did you purchase insurance? If not, that's on you. I never ship electronics anymore without insurance.  Shippers (USPS, Fedex, UPS...) used to take better care of packages, not so much anymore. I'll self-insure against a lost package - but not against them damaging electronics - and I routinely get complimented on my packaging.

If you purchased insurance, you need to make a insurance claim. No need to talk to anyone - just fill out the claim online and submit it. 

I agree you shouldn't be responsible for damage in transit - but you did have options available to mitigate that risk. 

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

The problem is that eBay only makes the pretence, but not any actual attempt to treat sellers fairly. A better way would be for them not to be biased against the seller. For some reason you seem to be comfortable with that bias.

It's the least of several evils.  If I say I sent you x and you say you received y, what are you proposing eBay should do?

As to the pretense, it would be perhaps be more honest if eBay didn't claim to "investigate" SNAD complaints.  But if they stopped saying that, I'm sure there would be a loud chorus of sellers complaining that it's inviting fraud.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

It's the least of several evils.  If I say I sent you x and you say you received y, what are you proposing eBay should do?

I'm proposing that there be justice, as actual  review and justice rather than the pretense of justice that is supposedly meted out by eBay in their kangaroo court. They own the venue, and the seller is always wrong, no matter what happens. As I have said, and will continue to say, eBay is a kangaroo court where the buyer is always right and the seller is always wrong. If you respond citing the "lesser of evils" argument, we who are reading this thread will understand that you, Couldabeenworse, are promulgating a game that incorporates some form of evil. IMO, all your arguments sound like you are a protagonist or an apologist for eBay.

As to the pretense, it would be perhaps be more honest if eBay didn't claim to "investigate" SNAD complaints.  But if they stopped saying that, I'm sure there would be a loud chorus of sellers complaining that it's inviting fraud.

Ebay is inviting fraud, and some sellers who have been wronged might feel guilty for sins they never comitted. I have no guilt for trying to be an honest seller. But eBay does not respect me for that. Where there is no justice, there can be no peace. But the fraud often can and does occur on the buyer side, as it is sanctioned and never questioned by those in authority, because the buyer is always right. Implicit in this mentality is: Seller = always bad, Buyer = always good.

Fraud doesn't always occur on the seller side, and not with honest sellers, despite the obviously biased policy of eBay to attract buyers. Does being a seller make you automatically guilty just for being a seller, and automatically innocent for being a buyer? At eBay, IT DOES.

So what is my point? SELLERS BEWARE!

My other point is wondering why you continue to argue to defend eBay, and continue to promote their unjust position, no matter what.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

as actual  review and justice

So how would that work?  I tell eBay I sent you x and provide them with 147 pictures of x working, and you say you received y and provide 146 pictures of y not working.  Do I win because I sent one more picture than you did?  Because my feedback is higher?  Because I'm just a swell guy?

What exactly do you think eBay should base it's opinion on? 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@chienoir wrote:

I sold a machine and the buyer opened a return request, saying it didn't work. I don't accept returns, but I tried to help him with understanding how to operate the product. He opened a 'not as described' case. He then told me he had a technician examine the machine internally and that he found a defect in it. Since I was not able to confirm or refute that, I granted the return. EBay gave him a full refund. When I received the returned machine I inspected and tested it, and found absolutely nothing wrong with it. I am an experienced technician and am qualified to determine that. The buyer constructed a pack of lies to force a return without any legitimate reason. I reported the buyer and blocked him from future transactions. I lost $65 in shipping costs and eBay will not reimburse me. I appealed the case and sent eBay photos showing the machine in operating mode, proving that it worked properly and was as described. They ignored the proof and denied the appeal. I complained and the eBay rep told me they would review the appeal and respond in five days. They never responded.

Seller beware. Even when you provide proof eBay will ignore it. Abuse of the buyer protection policy is not taken seriously. At eBay the buyer is always right, even when the buyer lies to screw the seller.

The alternative is to sell locally --- but as you most likely know the value is greatly diminished --- if not non-existent

Selling for value on-line carries risk ...

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Ebay does absolutely nothing to help sellers when this happens. No matter what proof I provide as a seller, Ebay doesn't care, they always land on the buyers side. I suppose that's the cost of doing business on Ebay... NO RETURNS apparently means nothing on Ebay. Buyers think it's Walmart!

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Strange as it may seem, the same thing happened to me again recently with a machine that was  identical to the one I previously described. It cost $100 to ship the item and that sort of monetary loss on a return costs the seller dearly. The buyer stated that the machine did not function, along with other frivolous complaints that were not 'significantly' different than stated in the actual description. I reported the buyer, then replied by asking a simple question. The buyer did not answer the question or reply to me, so it was obvious that she did not read the manufacturer's instructions that were provided with the machine.  The lack of a reply to me allowed me to open a case against the buyer. Upon inquiry by eBay the buyer admitted that the machine DID work. EBay closed the case in my favor. Fortunately, in this case the buyer caved under scrutiny.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Well your in GOOD COMPANY!   I have been selling for five years on Ebay - and I am very close to quitting now.  My main focus in selling is clothes - Either New With Tags or Excellent used clothing - with NOTHING wrong with them.  I am KILLING MYSELF in trying to protect myself again dishonest people.  I take 30 to 50 pictures of each item.  WHY so many?  Well because since I have  put No Returns on my auctions - I am getting people getting the item and wrecking it - and complaining to ebay saying that it has holes etc.  Well I have so many pictures of the item - that I am having to spend massive amount of time on the phone with Ebay defending myself against crooks!  Am I making a lot of money ?   No!   All of my auctions give great detail and full measurements and detail.  I am very careful about everything - no stains, no holes, no rips, no snags - NOTHING wrong!   What do I get - people get the item -  wear it and wreck it and then they claim they got it like that.  They send pictures of it with holes in it.  Now - this last one just happened two days ago, and I had to laugh because right where the customer decided to put the hole - I had taken a CLOSE UP picture of that area.  Well I even sent that to Ebay - and the customer still got their money back.   This is wrong!  Dead wrong.  Well you can tell I am upset, and I don't know what else to do to protect myself.  I have about 2,000 more items left - once I run out - I will quit selling on Ebay.  I can't make money when there are so many dishonest people in the world.  Then to top it off - Ebay is not standing behind their sellers.  I have a 100 percent feedback and I am having to fight to keep that.  What is truly sad is that customers see that - and they know I will go the distance to keep that feedback 100 percent.   I feel like a sitting duck in hunting season!    

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

NAR

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Blue medical stole my money and note send me the item its even not refund, ebay did not solve my problem and no one take care sor us the best sit to buy is AMZON really

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Blue medical stole my money and note send me the item its even not refund, even ebay did not help or take care of our problem and save us from the fake comapny

Message 26 of 26
latest reply