cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants me to return item and remove negative feedback after I got courtesy refund from Ebay.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I bought a vintage NBA jersey, with no returns accepted and the seller shipped it out the next day. I received the item and quickly realized that the colors were much different than in the pictures. I believe he washed the jersey with something red and the colors went from gold to basically reddish orange. I politely contacted him and voiced my concern that the letter color is much different than the pictures. I requested that I would like to return the item and since it was SNAD he should be responsible for the shipping. After a few messages back and forth he disregarded my issues with the item and I told him I would be opening a case.  I loaded up pictures and when the 3 business days had passed Ebay ruled in my favor and issued a return label. Prior to me being able to even package the jersey up to ship it back, I received a courtesy refund from Ebay and they told me no other action was needed. That I could keep the jersey, and I simply threw it in my donate pile of clothing. I left negative feedback for the seller based on his terrible customer service he provided. A few weeks pass, he responds to the feedback with false information. I responded again, and clarify what he is saying isn't true and for buyers to beware.

This is where it gets interesting, he sent me message this morning requesting I return the jersey and remove the feedback.  My response was as follows, "Per Ebay the case was closed after they issued me a refund due to the hassle from this sale. The feedback left appropriately describes my buying experience. I attempted to resolve this issue with you, without having to get  Ebay involved and you disregarded my concerns about the purchase." 

He responds, "So you're not going to return the jersey?" I was told that the case was closed and that the transaction was complete. Do I have to do anything more with this seller? I'm pretty sure ignoring him is the best way to go. Any input is much appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Buyer wants me to return item and remove negative feedback after I got courtesy refund from Ebay

I would ignore and put her on the bbl 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: Buyer wants me to return item and remove negative feedback after I got courtesy refund from Ebay

I wouldn't remove the feedback, but I would return the jersey to the seller if they pay for the return label.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Ebay took down my negative feedback because I said, Ebay had to step in to get my refund in his response. This is just prolonging the terrible sellers on this site.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@crystalbeadedimports wrote:
Ebay took down my negative feedback because I said, Ebay had to step in to get my refund in his response. This is just prolonging the terrible sellers on this site.

They removed the negative because you violated the rules regarding FB.  You cannot post the outcome of a case in FB.  Hopefully this will not happen again to you any time soon, but you may wish to familiarize yourself with the do's and don't's of posting FB.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If the return money came out of eBay's pocket then seller should not receive the shirt back. The seller isn't out any money. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@cfr.mifr.psugmu3cv wrote:

If the return money came out of eBay's pocket then seller should not receive the shirt back. The seller isn't out any money. 

I don't see how the OP could possibly know if they received a courtesy refund.   Courtesy refunds will always appear to a buyer as though the seller just refunded - which is also entirely possible.    I thought only a seller knows when eBay provides a courtesy refund on their end, not the other way around.  Am I wrong? 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I know that sometimes eBay covers the refund and it's called a courtesy refund. I've never gotten a courtesy refund so I'm not sure how they inform the buyer. I know the seller would know if the buyer got a refund from eBay and could be trying to take advantage of the situation. There are just as many crummy sellers as buyers. 

If it's a seller refund then yes the item should be returned but only if the seller sends the buyer a prepaid shipping label. Buyer should not be responsible for shipping cost on a snad.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I received a courtesy refund a few years back and the message from eBay said it was a courtesy refund from them.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@kitschy*loot wrote:

I received a courtesy refund a few years back and the message from eBay said it was a courtesy refund from them.

What were the circumstances of that?  Was it a situation like the OP's?  

I find it odd that eBay would issue a label and then suddenly refund out of the blue.  Maybe if the OP called eBay and complained they didn't want to return.  I could see something like that maybe. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@green-night wrote:

I don't see how the OP could possibly know if they received a courtesy refund. Courtesy refunds will always appear to a buyer as though the seller just refunded - which is also entirely possible. I thought only a seller knows when eBay provides a courtesy refund on their end, not the other way around.  Am I wrong? 

That's correct. However:

Subject: Case # XXX: You received a refund

You received a refund

Hi XXX,

We have decided to issue you a courtesy refund for this case on Feb 16, 2019 to the PayPal account you used to purchase this item. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping. Please log in to PayPal to get your refund.

This case is now closed, but you can view the details of the case in the Resolution Center.

Comments:
We're sorry you had a problem with your purchase. For more information about this case, please refer to the email we sent you.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

If it's a seller refund then yes the item should be returned but only if the seller sends the buyer a prepaid shipping label. Buyer should not be responsible for shipping cost on a snad.

But since it's a courtesy refund, the item belongs to eBay, and it is wrong to send it back to the seller, even if the seller pays for return shipping. IOW eBay paid a gift, trash or not, for the buyer.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Yes I agree with you. Buyer should keep it if eBay did a Courtesy refund. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@crystalbeadedimports wrote:

They removed the negative because you violated the rules regarding FB.  You cannot post the outcome of a case in FB.  Hopefully this will not happen again to you any time soon, but you may wish to familiarize yourself with the do's and don't's of posting FB.  

But the rating should have stared and just the comment removed...

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 14 of 14
latest reply