cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer received opened and missing package

I got a message today from a buyer saying that they just got their package. When the package arrived it was ripped open and the item was missing. It says it was delivered. They said that the postman marked it and took it with him. The postman wrote "received unsealed" on it. I imagine the buyer is looking for a refund but I'm confused why I am responsible for giving them their money back. I told them to file a police report and take a photo of it to upload to ebay for a refund but I'm not even sure if the is 100% correct. Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

If buyer can prove it was received opened and empty then yeah you are responsible

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

You would be responsible to give them a refund and you file the insurance claim to get your money back.

But since the postman took it with them I am not even sure how you could make a claim with USPS.  Can you look the Tracking Number up and see what the status says?  If the postman documented that the package arrived empty then it should be an easy claim.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

The postman would NOT have taken it with him. Something is fishy with the buyer's story. If it is marked delivered by the post office, I don't see how the buyer is able to prove his story.

I get an e-mail every day from the post office with a picture of each piece of my mail. So, the post office should have a picture of how that package was delivered to the buyer. I would contact the post office, explain the issue and see if you can get a picture of how the package was delivered.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@beautyisdead,

What type of item did you ship and how was it packed?  I see you have listed and sold packs of pens, tubes of body creams and books and ship using Ground Advantage.  If you are shipping those things in envelopes the sorting machines may have torn it open.   You are responsible for packing items so that they arrive intact.  You deal with the USPS, to get a refund on your own after dealing with the buyer.

Your buyer saying the carrier took the package with them doesn't sound right unless they refused delivery, in which case the tracking info should indicate that.  You can try contacting the USPS and inquire about that and why the carrier did not scan the package as opened/damaged before they put it on their truck?

Still, if the buyer wants a refund, they have to return the package.  Since they say the carrier took the package with them, they have nothing to return.  You should at least start by telling them to file an item not as described dispute.  If they do, respond to it by sending them a return shipping label. They will have 5 business days to get it to the P.O. or carrier, if they do not do that, you can ask ebay to step in and they will close the dispute.  The label will expire after 30 days and you can get a refund for it. If they send back something different or an empty package back don't open it, and come back here to let us know that. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

I send my items in envelopes that are padded and I secure more inside. I then tape the outside of the package so they can't open. I looked at the package when I had the tracking and it says that the item was refused. It didn't say it on the eBay tracking but I see it on the USPS website that the customer refused it. I also see that this happened at the post office before the one that delivered it to her. I've never had this happen before so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. It says that it's sending it back to me (so the envelope?). But I also read that I'm not responsible once they refuse delivery. So it looks like the item went all the way to their state and was close to being delivered before it item was missing. It says the package was insured up to $100 with ground. I'll give her a refund though I'm confused how I'm responsible since it was in the custody of the post office.  I'm going to the post office to mail things today and I'll ask the worker what she advices too. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@beautyisdead wrote:

I looked at the package when I had the tracking and it says that the item was refused. It didn't say it on the eBay tracking but I see it on the USPS website that the customer refused it.

Wait to see if the package is eventually returned to you or if the buyer files a claim @beautyisdead . Don't do anything before that.

For reference, eBay's MBG on item not received claims:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

The buyer refused delivery of the item

Covered:

• The item arrived with shipping cost still owing because the seller didn't apply enough postage

Not covered:

• The buyer refused delivery for any other reason

If a package arrives empty or was damaged in transit, the buyer should accept the delivery and report that the item doesn't match the listing.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Now she is saying the item never showed up and wants a refund. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

She is saying the item never showed up and wants a fefund. But I have zero idea what to respond with. I haven't even gotten the returned envelope from the post office. When I talked to postal worker she said the mail person sends it back and to do nothing until I get it.

Screenshot_20231110-144734_eBay.jpg

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Screenshot_20231110-144734_eBay.jpgon the update of the mail it says the mail was taken by the postal worker. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Do not refund. Send them the link @wastingtime101 supplied  showing the eBay MBG  policy, and tell them tracking shows they refused delivery, and therefore they're  not covered. They needed to keep the empty package and file a not as described  case. Then call eBay and make sure they know the buyer refused delivery.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Do not refund. Send them the link @wastingtime101 supplied  showing the eBay MBG  policy, and tell them tracking shows they refused delivery, and therefore they're  not covered. They needed to keep the empty package and file a not as described  case. Then call eBay and make sure they know the buyer refused delivery.

I agree with not refunding, but don't send them that link! They may file a not as described claim when they don't even have the package and try to force the refund through a return request. Better to do this (in my opinion) @beautyisdead :

Click the button on that screenshot to update tracking details. Add the tracking number. Don't do anything else until the package is returned to you (unless you want to contact CS to give a heads up).

You said there's no notice on tracking about damage - just the refusal and return to sender processed, right? So wait to see what you get back.

If the package comes back with stickers from USPS showing the package was damaged, etc - file an insurance claim with USPS and refund the buyer.

Buyer can sill file a not as described claim on eBay (even though they're not supposed to) and they can still file a credit card chargeback.

You want your immediate action to be getting this non-receipt claim closed in your favor so that's on record.

Let us know as this progresses and if you need more help depending on what happens next.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I'm a mail carrier. we get a lot of unsealed packages. Most of the time I tape them and rubber stamp them in the office but sometimes weak packages come open on the route. Mainly these are Amazon packages as they have a lot of empty space in the boxes and their poly bags are highly perforated. I have had them rip as I picked them up from my back seat. 

This can also happen with individual shipped packages too. I had one yesterday that was sealed with( i kid you not)  PAINTERS TAPE, and the cheap kind at that. The end kept curling away and was almost open on the end. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

I'm a mail carrier. 

So good @lja440 to have you back!

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

What type of item did you ship and how was it packed?  I see you have listed and sold packs of pens, tubes of body creams and books and ship using Ground Advantage.  If you are shipping those things in envelopes the sorting machines may have torn it open.  

This would be my guess. My mother has had this happen countless times with makeup she has ordered online.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply