cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer received opened and missing package

I got a message today from a buyer saying that they just got their package. When the package arrived it was ripped open and the item was missing. It says it was delivered. They said that the postman marked it and took it with him. The postman wrote "received unsealed" on it. I imagine the buyer is looking for a refund but I'm confused why I am responsible for giving them their money back. I told them to file a police report and take a photo of it to upload to ebay for a refund but I'm not even sure if the is 100% correct. Any suggestions? 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Buyer received opened and missing package

@beautyisdead wrote:

I'll give her a refund though I'm confused how I'm responsible since it was in the custody of the post office.  I'm going to the post office to mail things today and I'll ask the worker what she advices too. 

You got lucky that the buyer refused the package thus voiding their money back guarantee.

Usually, you ARE responsible for the item to get to the buyer. Had the buyer not refused the package and filed a SNAD, you would be responsible for giving them a refund and seeking reimbursement from the postal service if the package was insured. 

Also, you are not allowed to sell used cosmetics. “I am selling some lotions that I did not like after buying. I have used them 1 - 3 times.” That doesn’t mean “New (Other)”, that means used.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

janet9988_0-1699817230510.png

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/prohibited-restricted-items?id=4207

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@beautyisdead wrote:

She is saying the item never showed up and wants a fefund. But I have zero idea what to respond with. I haven't even gotten the returned envelope from the post office. When I talked to postal worker she said the mail person sends it back and to do nothing until I get it.

Screenshot_20231110-144734_eBay.jpg

Respond to the INR and upload the tracking number.

If it shows the package was refused, they should close the case in your favor.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

You need to resolve the problem with the buyer BEFORE they file a credit card chargeback.

All mail order or internet merchants are responsible for safe delivery of the goods.

You will lose a chargeback dispute, and Ebay will access an additional $20 dispute fee on you.

Even if they refused the shipment.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Incorrect, if the buyer opened a request for INR, the seller could respond with the tracking. It would then be escalated to a  case and closed in the seller’s favor.

At that point, since a case was closed in seller’s favor they would have chargeback protection.

ebay would cover the loss

Message 20 of 20
latest reply