cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUYER SCAM RETURN

ON APRIL 29TH I RECEIVED A MESSAGE FROM A BUYER WHO WANTED TO PURCHASE A NEW SHIRT FROM ME.  HE ASKED ME TO CHANGE THE SHIPPING FROM FIRST CLASS TO PRIORITY BECAUSE HE NEEDED THE SHIRT BY MAY 2 FOR A GRADUATION EVENT.  I AGREE TO DO THIS.  THE NEXT MORNING I SHIPPED THE PACKAGE.  I TRACKED THE PACKAGE AND IT WAS DELIVERED THE MORNING OF MAY 2.  ON MAY 8TH I RECEIVED A MESSAGE FROM THE BUYER THAT HE WOULD LIKE TO RETURN THE SHIRT.  THE REASON GIVEN WAS THAT IT DID NOT FIT.  HE MADE SURE IN HIS COMMENTS TO MENTION THAT HE DID NOT WEAR THE SHIRT.  I QUESTIONED THIS BUYER AS TO WHY HE WAITED 6 DAYS TO CONTACT ME?  HIS REPLY WAS THAT HE OPENED THE PACKAGE AND HE VISUALLY DETERMINED THE SHIRT WAS TOO SMALL.  VISUALLY? REALLY?.  THE SHIRT ARRIVED BACK WITH ONE OF THE TAGS MISSING AND SHOVED INTO AN ENVELOPE.  I SENT THE SHIRT NEATLY FOLDED AND PACKED CAREFULLY IN A POLY MAILER.  THIS BUYER OBVIOUSLY WORE THE SHIRT AND DECIDED TO RETURN IT.  IF I CONTACT EBAY REGARDING THIS WE ALL KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN. NOTHING.  WITH THIS FREE RETURNS POLICY WHICH I WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THIS IS JUST AN INVITATION FOR THIS KIND OF ABUSE THAT WILL RUN RAMPANT

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: BUYER SCAM RETURN

I should also note that any Seller Update is not policy, but an intended direction of eBay.  They may delay or not implement into policy the information in the Seller Updates.  For example ...

• When they reduced the TRS+ discount from 20% to 10%, they said this was to cover elimination of external ads ... never happened.
  • They also said that watermarks would need to be eliminated from photos ... never happened.
Message 16 of 55
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

Thank u for this general info, but the below policy is precise. I thought you knew of an overriding policy that included clothing and/or other items as well.

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

The policy I provided to you is the overriding policy - that is the official language of eBay.

The listing of categories you quoted above is from the Spring Seller Update (a news item), and it is a promise that special categories do not need free 30-day returns in order to have access to the partial refund capability.   However, the policy currently does not articulate that this is the case, so either the policy has not been updated or eBay has decided to not implement that caveat.

No, it is an eBay policy as follows:

Streamlined returns policies

Starting in May 2018, we will streamline our returns policy options. Buyers' expectations are continuously evolving and we strive to deliver a returns experience that is consistent and competitive with the changing marketplace. Our simplified return policy options will help drive a retail-standard returns experience for buyers and may boost your sales. We recommend that you begin changing your returns policies now.

The five return policy options will be:

• No returns accepted
  • 30-day buyer-paid returns
  • 30-day free returns
  • 60-day buyer-paid returns
  • 60-day free returns

Restocking fees will no longer be a return option.

Starting June 1, 2018, when you offer free returns, you’ll have greater control to manage your business, and you can decide to issue partial refunds to buyers.

Certain product categories have unique retail standards and sellers will be able to offer variations on the new returns policy options. Categories that will continue have the option to offer 14-day returns include Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo and Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment.

Sellers will also be able to issue a partial refund for all returns where the item is returned used or damaged in select categories, including Business & Industrial, Parts & Accessories, Collectibles & Art, Cameras & Photo, Medical, Mobility & Disability Equipment, Home Improvement, Furniture, Musical Instruments & Gear, and Yard, Garden & Outdoor.

You will also have the flexibility to set different return policies for domestic and international returns. For example, you can choose to offer free returns domestically, and in the same listing, offer paid returns to international buyers.

Because we are standardizing returns, we will remove the "additional return policy details" field that some sellers may use to detail their returns policies. Removal of the field will simplify returns for buyers.

Message 17 of 55
latest reply

@stuff4divas

I'm confused.  Are you wanting an answer from me, or do you want to argue with me?

I gave you an answer, and pointed you to the policy.   I'm not interested in arguing about the text from the 2018 Spring Seller Update  ... information in Spring Seller Updates are a heads up about upcoming policies, but (a)  they are incomplete, (b) they are typically confusing, and (c) they do not always get implemented into the eBay policies.

I gave you the link to the policy.

Message 18 of 55
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

@stuff4divas

I'm confused.  Are you wanting an answer from me, or do you want to argue with me?

I gave you an answer, and pointed you to the policy.   I'm not interested in arguing about the text from the 2018 Spring Seller Update  ... information in Spring Seller Updates are a heads up about upcoming policies, but (a)  they are incomplete, (b) they are typically confusing, and (c) they do not always get implemented into the eBay policies.

I gave you the link to the policy. 

No arguement. Thought you had some info that wasn't already posted. I just wanted to know if my listings would be covered under the up to the 50% refund w free returns. Sorry to have bothered you.

Message 19 of 55
latest reply

I was answering using my own experience. I sell clothes and have had the exact problem as this seller is having. I was not only refunded the cost of shipping both ways but also refunded the payment for the clothes. And, I also got to keep the returned clothes to do with as I saw fit. So, I believe experience would be the best way to answer this seller and not just what you read in what may or may not be the future policy.

I stand by what I wrote as the clothes returned to me was not in the same condition as what I sent them to the buyer and eBay's Seller Protection stood by me stating that the buyers cannot return goods to a seller in any other condition that how they were sent. This was exactly what the representative of the Resolution Department said to me during the resolution of my problem with a buyer, who by the way was another seller. I won't name any names here.
Message 20 of 55
latest reply

Never try to solve a problem with customer service as they cannot help you. Go directly to the Resolution Department and speak to those reps if you want real help. I will caution you to be respectful if you want any assistance from them as they are the authority on these issues and they do have the power to change things for your benefit. I have never been disappointed with their assistance with these buyers.
Message 21 of 55
latest reply

I wanted you to know that I received 100% payment for a return I received plus the shipping costs for both ways. I'm sure you could 'offer' a 50% refund to a buyer if you wanted and they would accept. I prefer the getting the item back and if it isn't in the condition I sent it, I will file an Appeal and let Sellers Protection do what it can for me. I would recommend all sellers learn how to use the Appeal process for their own good. EBay has never said you have to take a loss, but if you don't follow through you will.
Message 22 of 55
latest reply

A really good idea would be for a seller to be able to offer different free shipping back time frames for specific items and still be able to keep their top rated plus. Clothing is notorious for the rent it send it back. That should be shorter return window. A refrigerator would need a 30 day minimum because  of various functionality problems which may need to be addressed and remedied in a longer time frame.

Message 23 of 55
latest reply

@fine_find wrote:
I was answering using my own experience. I sell clothes and have had the exact problem as this seller is having. I was not only refunded the cost of shipping both ways but also refunded the payment for the clothes. And, I also got to keep the returned clothes to do with as I saw fit. So, I believe experience would be the best way to answer this seller and not just what you read in what may or may not be the future policy.

I stand by what I wrote as the clothes returned to me was not in the same condition as what I sent them to the buyer and eBay's Seller Protection stood by me stating that the buyers cannot return goods to a seller in any other condition that how they were sent. This was exactly what the representative of the Resolution Department said to me during the resolution of my problem with a buyer, who by the way was another seller. I won't name any names here.

Right On!!!

Message 24 of 55
latest reply

@fine_find wrote:
I wanted you to know that I received 100% payment for a return I received plus the shipping costs for both ways. I'm sure you could 'offer' a 50% refund to a buyer if you wanted and they would accept. I prefer the getting the item back and if it isn't in the condition I sent it, I will file an Appeal and let Sellers Protection do what it can for me. I would recommend all sellers learn how to use the Appeal process for their own good. EBay has never said you have to take a loss, but if you don't follow through you will.

You are sooo Right! I too have fought for my seller's rights and won. Great job!

Message 25 of 55
latest reply

I just don't fully understsand why eBay needs to FORCE returns....they need to understand that their sellers are not Walmart or Microsoft....we should have the chance to be protected if we have no return items. They need to bare some risk to protect its sellers or they are going to lose a lot of them. Perhaps that is their plan they don't want casual sellers anymore on their site

Message 26 of 55
latest reply

The IRS is taking that deduction away from us as well....was told this was to be the last year for deductions on donations....just sayin'!

Message 27 of 55
latest reply

"Seller protection" my foot! I sold a 2005 Volvo Stereo system $149.99, the buyer received the item and replied on the eBay message system that it was "excellent!" 3 days later I get the return request. I asked what the problem was and he gave me 3 completely different ridiculous stories. So he's a liar but I do returns so whatever.....I get the item back smashed AND missing parts. Ended up costing me the item - $$$ - shipping BOTH ways because it was free shipping to begin with AND eBay refused to refund eBay final valuation FEES! All totaling a little under $200 theft. I appealed the eBay descision 3 times, eBay said repeatedly "they do not guarantee returns."

Message 28 of 55
latest reply

Agree the 30 day policy is absurd, not necessary at all. Except if someone needs to wear and return. But ebay does not care what sellers think.
Message 29 of 55
latest reply

I think it’s a lost cause with new policies to be protected by even blatant abuse of returns, policies, etc.
Message 30 of 55
latest reply