cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone followed through on an incorrect label update?

I just rec'd my first one of these where they say I owe them.  Almost $10!  I've had a few of these, but they've always been credits, usually just a couple of ounces difference.  It says that I paid for a PM label , but used a LFRB.  I 100% did NOT use a LRFB.  I didn't use a box at all.  It either would have been a poly mailer or a PM tyvek.  99% chance it was a tyvek.  

If you've run into this, how easy was it?  Did you call the number or do the email dispute?  Also, do they have a photo of the pkg?  Will they be able to look & see the pkg so they know it was in error?  Or do I need to be prepared for a fight?   

TIA.  I'll be out for awhile, but will check back later. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This happens to me all the time. It's a pain in the ass, but it's easy to appeal. Send USPS an email verifypostagehelp@usps.gov with the following details:

In order for USPS to investigate your dispute they must have the following information:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number with area code
  • Email
  • 10 digit Revenue Assurance ID or USPS Adjustment ID of each record to be reviewed
  • IMpb or tracking number starting with 94 or 420

I generally describe the problem, as well. Shipped 8 oz t-shirt in plain white polymailer with eBay logo, was up charged based on a Priority Flat Rate Envelope packaging which was not used.

Educated guess: packages sometimes get stuck together or are too close together when going through the sorting machinery so the scans are reading a different package. When you file an appeal, USPS will look at the actual photos taken during sorting and they will see the package and grant the refund.

USPS sends the refund to your original source of payment (credit card, bank, paypal, etc).

https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

If you have a picture of the envelope with the label applied that should help prove you did not use a LFRB.

Does the buyer of the item still have the envelope?  

Did you take the item to the USPS and get a receipt that you dropped envelope off?  My USPS always scans the barcode on the box or envelope.  I am not for sure and USPS is down for maintenance until tomorrow, but it seems like with the tracking number there is a way to see what you turned in.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@stephenmorgan  I do not have a photo of it.  

IDK about the buyer, was hoping I didn't have to bug them, which is part of the reason I'm asking the question.  I will involve them if I need to, but I'd rather not since they never left FB, nor is it their problem, so I don't wanna waste their time. 

Yes, taken to USPS & I scan all my pkgs at the APC or if DH took it, he goes to a human.  Either way, I get EVERYTHING scanned, so I have that proof, but I'm not sure what that buys me, as it doesn't prove I didn't use a box.  How do you think this would help?  There's nobody questioning that it was mailed, they're just saying there was a mismatch between my label purchased & my method of shipping.

I have already checked the tracking # on USPS website & it simply says "Priority Mail".  But IDK if it says that if it was a LRFB, b/c that's technically still Priority Mail, so IDK how much that helps, but I planned to point it out to them.  

What I'm really hoping someone knows is if they scan a pic of the pkg when these exceptions occur?  I'm hoping it's that simple. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

This happens to me all the time. It's a pain in the ass, but it's easy to appeal. Send USPS an email verifypostagehelp@usps.gov with the following details:

In order for USPS to investigate your dispute they must have the following information:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number with area code
  • Email
  • 10 digit Revenue Assurance ID or USPS Adjustment ID of each record to be reviewed
  • IMpb or tracking number starting with 94 or 420

I generally describe the problem, as well. Shipped 8 oz t-shirt in plain white polymailer with eBay logo, was up charged based on a Priority Flat Rate Envelope packaging which was not used.

Educated guess: packages sometimes get stuck together or are too close together when going through the sorting machinery so the scans are reading a different package. When you file an appeal, USPS will look at the actual photos taken during sorting and they will see the package and grant the refund.

USPS sends the refund to your original source of payment (credit card, bank, paypal, etc).

https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

It says that I paid for a PM label , but used a LFRB.  

A large flat rate box IS Priority Mail.

It either would have been a poly mailer or a PM tyvek.  99% chance it was a tyvek.  

Sorry, don't mean to come down on you, but how can not be 100% sure how it was sent?

LIke @stephenmorgan said, I would ask the buyer for a pic of the box & label, then depending on what the picture shows,  decide how you want to proceed.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

It says that I paid for a PM label , but used a LFRB.  

A large flat rate box IS Priority Mail.

It either would have been a poly mailer or a PM tyvek.  99% chance it was a tyvek.  

Sorry, don't mean to come down o you, but how can not be 100% sure how it was sent?

Really doesn't matter. She knows she used an envelope. She paid for Priority based on package weight. USPS is upcharging for a Large Flat Rate Box and she did not ship the clothing item in a box. Her envelope probably got stuck to someone else's box when it was passing one of the scan points.

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Thank you, that is super helpful & I figured it must be something like that, another pkg close to mine.  Both DH & I have at times rec'd bills for toll roads, in a city an hour away from us, where we hadn't been for in his case years, in my case, months but I wasn't in that city that day.  Both times it's just been a poor view of the license plate & they were resolved very easily.   You are right, I know it wasn't a box b/c I never ship clothing in a box except for 2 rare exceptions & this was not one of those. 

@inhawaii No worries, no offense taken.  I'm 100% sure how it was sent, it was sent plain PM (not FRB).  I can't be sure of what type of envelope I used b/c it was several weeks ago & I have an assortment of poly mailers, tyveks & bubble envelopes, but based on my shipping practices, I am 99% sure it was a PM Tyvek.  I can't be 100% sure b/c clothing items vary in size once you fold them up.  If it had been too tight of a squeeze in a tyvek, I would have used a regular poly mailer.  I wrote a long detailed explanation, but in general, I sell everything from XS to plus size 5x, so once you fold those, they can be radically different in size, especially girth.  I have 6 different sizes of poly mailers & 2 kinds of bubble mailers, though only 2 are my main go-tos.  The need for variety is b/c a size S silk tank top fits into a different poly mailer than a plus size 2x lined wool blazer. 

Often, an item looks like it'll fit in one size, but once it gets folded, it has to go in the next size up.  As a clothing seller, I always have to be mindful of leaving a certain amount of space for the buyer to cut into the  mailer, so they don't cut the garment when opening it.  I don't really know which size it will fit in until it's folded up & in its inner protective plastic bag.  I may slip it in a tyvek & then decide it's too tight of a squeeze & doesn't allow for that 'filler' room & if that's the case, I'll sub out a poly mailer, since it doesn't matter for Priority.  That's a daily occurrence, so I would never remember from 2+ weeks ago, which envelope 1 specific item went into.   I also have multiple colors/designs of mailers for fun & I  would never rememebr from 2 weeks ago if I used a white or purple or tie dye poly mailer b/c that depends on my mood of the day LOL 🙂 

I KNOW it wasn't a box b/c I don't ever ship clothing in a box.  Buyers hate it & there's no need for the extra protection.  I have 2 exceptions to that (large multiple purchases & large coats) & I know this wasn't either of those.  I further know that even had I shipped it in a box, it would NOT have been a LFRB b/c I don't even think I use 2 of those a year!  It's an extreme rarity for me to use a LFRB & it would not happen on clothing.  Those are reserved for the rare occasion I sell dishes or breakables that require a lot of padding.  This was a sweater.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101   Hey, just a quick follow-up, when you've done this, do they get back to you?   I did it approx 3 weeks ago & haven't heard a word.  Is that normal? 

I have not gone digging into my eBay account, I expected that I would get some sort of response, with a decision.   

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

You did not receive an initial auto response to the email you sent @simply-the-best-for-you ?

I've always gotten a response. If you got that response then check your funding source to see if a refund was processed.

I never disputed an APV charge for a label purchased through eBay - always disputed charges that came through other label providers. Those providers always sent a confirmation email when the credit was processed.

However I have voided labels through eBay and they do not send an email confirmation when void credits are processed, so maybe it's the same for APV credits? I don't know.

See below for timeline.

How long will it take USPS to review my dispute?

USPS may review all scan data relating to your piece in question, including image analysis, and if such an error has occurred, we will work through our PC Postage partners to return the amount in question. Most responses can be expected in 2-5 business days, and at most 15 business days.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101  Oh, I do think I rec'd the standard response right away.  I'd have to dig to find it, thank you for pointing out the info, looks like I should have either rec'd a response or like you said they just applied it & didn't notify me.  Time to go digging I guess.  Thanks again, you're always so helpful! 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

No prob @simply-the-best-for-you . If you find you did not receive the credit, call 1-844-819-5187 for the APV Help Desk.

GLORIOUS!

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@wastingtime101  You're the best!  Thank you so much!  I'll try to check this weekend, getting ready to travel, so short on time.  I appreciate you making it so easy for me (((wasting))).  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Take care @simply-the-best-for-you . I know you've got a lot going on. This was the absolute least I could do to help. 🙂

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Just posting this in case anyone has the same problem.  @wastingtime101  I did check all my tx's since I opened this case & I did NOT receive any credit, nor any communication from USPS, outside of the immediate confirmation email that I'd opened a case.  

So keep an eye out folks, it's been 3 weeks & no action was taken.  I'll call them this week & post what happens.  

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I would try contacting them again and letting them know about when you submitted originally but haven't heard anything in response.

I don't like how you have to handle these situations on eBay.

Pirateship makes it so much easier and never had issues getting a response.

1000009980.jpg

Message 15 of 19
latest reply