cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any seasoned sellers stop shipping internationally? Please weigh in!

So I'm in the corner of totally-pro-international buyers on eBay.... up until some experiences I had had recently. You know the whole, "a few people always ruin the fun for everyone else."

As I can tell - as someone who tends to sell things that are at a higher price point - you are really totally screwed if someone decides to juke the system. Inad cases have always been misused, but it's a whole different liability when the sale is an international one.

For example, someone buys something from you. Doesn't read the description AT ALL. Buyer's remorse. Opens a case as "not received". Tracking shows received. Closes in your favor. Then, opts to open yet another case for "Item not as described." This time they picked the winner....because there is basically nothing I can do at this point. 

Let's break it down:  You have a $250 sale, free shipping. They use eBay's standard delivery, and they pay customs that I'm not privy to. I am so freaking annoyed, but i just accept because this is not my first rodeo.  Now, in this hypothetical, you see after an acceptance of return that the customs fees were $100..... of which you are responsible for BOTH ways. In addition, whatever shipping they paid both times. The scam buyer also has the choice of what return service they use, with no regard for economical consideration.

In the conclusion, selling something for a mere $250 internationally could end up racking you a refund bill of $600-$800 based on weight, return shipping method, and original shipping method. And I get that there's a "cost of doing business", but with the escalating amount of these false inad claims, it just doesn't seem like that's something that my heart can take dealing with on a weekly basis (before I inevitably go broke).

So I'm just totally curious-- is this something that has occurred for you as well, and have any of you stopped selling internationally for similar reasons (particularly for higher-priced items)? Letting the buyer keep an item is not something I'd consider, just because that's not a precedent I intend to set. Seriously considering nixing the international, but it is isn't something I want to do. 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Any seasoned sellers stop shipping internationally? Please weigh in!

Hi, and thanks for this, Jimmy. I hadn't really considered catering to a less problematic lot, and then excluding the others. But I will now.

Slept on it. Taking all international off of anything A-Heavy and B-High priced....due solely to shipping costs and customs fees.

I appreciate your time.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Hi there!

I probably have confused you and the other gentleman for saying ebay international and then the official name of the other international they offer, GSP??(maybe) I apologize for that, and I can def see where maybe I came across as rude looking back.

I was simply referring to the KY warehouse we all ship to, and my elaboration was obviously lacking. Thanks for the time.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Rob, thanks for the reply.

First, let me apologize and clarify-- I don't get on these things often, and I do not know the official terms or colloquialisms or acronyms to this as you probably do. I assumed it used to be "item not as described," and then for some reason, I assumed "SNAD" was just a changeover to "significantly not as described." To be honest, I still am not sure how that wording goes. But hopefully, you can get the gist.

Second, I was informed that i would be responsible for the payback of customs fees and return shipment cost. I am not sure how that is going to work, but I am certain to find out shortly! $$$

Appreciate your time!

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Hi, and thanks for your time.

I *love* shipping internationally, too. I have had very few problems in the past. Like almost none.  Just has been ramping enough for me to post something.

Thanks for the input. 🙂 All the best.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for weighing in. Wishing you nothing but the best in sales, health, and happiness in 2022. 🙂

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Yes, I  am.  I have a buyer who says something chipped.  they bought it through eBay's Internation shipping. They cannot take it to USPS for a claim, I don't even know what country they are in.   No more International for me.   Not  with eBay.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Hey, and thanks so much for giving me your time.

Just a quick note... if people threaten to give you negative feedback, you can auto-remove it if they do. So please don't feel intimidated by this language.

In my personal issue, this person was not qualified to leave feedback after her (first) (false) (scam) case was closed. So this is not a feedback thing for me at all, but a business query. But i hate to think of you getting bullied or pushed around. It's against eBay policy, so they have to remove it-- last time I checked.

Good 2022 and good sales!

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Well, consider yourself a hot commodity... that doesn't have to deal with these issues! 🙂

Thanks for the weighing in.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply