cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any seasoned sellers stop shipping internationally? Please weigh in!

So I'm in the corner of totally-pro-international buyers on eBay.... up until some experiences I had had recently. You know the whole, "a few people always ruin the fun for everyone else."

As I can tell - as someone who tends to sell things that are at a higher price point - you are really totally screwed if someone decides to juke the system. Inad cases have always been misused, but it's a whole different liability when the sale is an international one.

For example, someone buys something from you. Doesn't read the description AT ALL. Buyer's remorse. Opens a case as "not received". Tracking shows received. Closes in your favor. Then, opts to open yet another case for "Item not as described." This time they picked the winner....because there is basically nothing I can do at this point. 

Let's break it down:  You have a $250 sale, free shipping. They use eBay's standard delivery, and they pay customs that I'm not privy to. I am so freaking annoyed, but i just accept because this is not my first rodeo.  Now, in this hypothetical, you see after an acceptance of return that the customs fees were $100..... of which you are responsible for BOTH ways. In addition, whatever shipping they paid both times. The scam buyer also has the choice of what return service they use, with no regard for economical consideration.

In the conclusion, selling something for a mere $250 internationally could end up racking you a refund bill of $600-$800 based on weight, return shipping method, and original shipping method. And I get that there's a "cost of doing business", but with the escalating amount of these false inad claims, it just doesn't seem like that's something that my heart can take dealing with on a weekly basis (before I inevitably go broke).

So I'm just totally curious-- is this something that has occurred for you as well, and have any of you stopped selling internationally for similar reasons (particularly for higher-priced items)? Letting the buyer keep an item is not something I'd consider, just because that's not a precedent I intend to set. Seriously considering nixing the international, but it is isn't something I want to do. 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Any seasoned sellers stop shipping internationally? Please weigh in!

I'm not sure I qualify as a "seasoned seller".

I sell internationally through ebay's GSP.

I've never had a problem. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

I have not changed my international opinion at all. I still ship as I always have and have never run into the hypothetical you described. Which makes me wonder if that REALLY happened or are you only imagining a "worst case" that never happens just to justify your rant.

For example - "$250.00 international sale with free shipping". REALLY?  Who does that?

You are not required to accept an international return. But even if you do, you get the original item back to resell so you are not really out "600-$800".

There are oh so many more holes in your rant but I have neither the time nor inclination to try to help someone who has clearly already made up their mind.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I don't do overseas shipping due to to many countries with different restrictions and not only does that cost you in shipping but cost of item, plus maybe eBay metrics. 

The EU has just to many rules and regulations so it is not worth it to me to ship there and I keep my shipping to US and territories- although that doesn't mean  much now a days with all the fraud going on for sellers 

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Hi, and thanks for the reply!

I want you to point out the holes-- I'm genuinely asking because I'm *hoping*there's an alternative so much. So bring it on, and I appreciate your time.

Yes, you're right. I will still have the item, provided it is returned in the same way it was sent. So that's good.  And you aren't technically wrong... I didn't have to accept the return. But you kind of are wrong.

I could refund or I could accept the return. Those are my two options unless you count "message the buyer" or "offer a partial refund". Since the buyer didn't read the description, this item won't work for them. So there is 0% chance they're accepting a partial. Messaging the buyer is only going to prolong picking one of the other options. And finally, I'd rather not set the precedent of a hard refund when someone opens a false claim, as I stated in my initial post already. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Even with ligit returns International is tough, and there are enough other reasons I quit doing it.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Also, Richard..

You're asking who uses free shipping? I mean, really? If they use ebay's international delivery, then you are shipping to a US location. It doesn't change for me in that regard than any other shipping to any other US location... until a false INAD case is opened. And then it matters immensely. 

Why answer a question you don't even understand the logistics to?

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@adealadaymarket wrote:

If they use ebay's international delivery, then you are shipping to a US location.

Are you sure about that?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

After 21 years of offering Worldwide shipping with no exclusions I made a change last Fall and am now blocking all of South America.

I had many good customers in Chile (a few not so good in Brazil) and while deliveries were slow they were reliable and buyers were patient. During Covid, especially in the early days when Chile was leading the world in cases slow turned into an eternity but they were still getting delivered.

This Spring and Summer even that wasn't happening anymore so I made the move.

Unfortunately International (overseas) isn't as big for me as it used to be (60% of sales at one time), over the year shipping has become more expensive and Euro buys as of late are not forced to pay VAT even on low value shipments that were previously exempt. It has meant that a sale of $30 including shipping is now more like a $50 purchase for the buyer.....not very encouraging.

I'm still doing about 15% overseas (more to Canada) and I'm hopeful that when shipping returns to something resembling the old normal that business will pick up again.

NAD Claims/returns are a non-issue for me, other than Seller error I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to deal with an International return.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Your hypotheticals won't happen:

1) money back guarantee allows buyers to seek resolution by using either INR or SNAD method, not both. 

2) customs duty and taxes are international buyer's liability and in case of return the duty and taxes may be refunded. It has no impact on your selling cost.

Some products attract scammers, some products have high returns, your listing presentation and order fulfillment also affect returns. I'd say whether other sellers ship internationally has little relevance to your business. To feel comfortable with your decision you should evaluate your products and practice.

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I’m very part time now, and the high cost of International shipping makes this moot…. but I’d ship International in a red hot minute (actually I just did out of pure luck and an especially cool item) if I could only have my international customers back. They used to be 1/3 of my sales.

Never had a single issue, ever.

Have shipped to England, Hong Kong and Norway in the last few years (these days that’s one per year) - low of $100 and high of $1000 - again, no issues.

It’s a balance. True, problems can be more costly but the theory is that it’s covered by an increase in business.

I’m more nervous shipping International these days because it’s such an insignificant percentage of my sales volume that problems would be an out of whack loss percentage-wise.

I go ahead when the opportunity presents itself because I have no experience to the contrary. And, honestly, even now a big loss wouldn’t stop me because I have an excellent real world job. I could survive even a nasty loss. 

I know that’s sort of a non answer. 🤷‍♀️

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

In 2019, my post would have read as @inhawaii's:

"I'm not sure I qualify as a "seasoned seller".

I sell internationally through ebay's GSP.

I've never had a problem."

Since this whole pandemic, my post would now  read as @coastaltechsolution's:

"I don't do overseas shipping due to too many countries with different restrictions and not only does that cost you in shipping but cost of item, plus maybe eBay metrics."

I'm always willing to adapt, and just might when I'm comfortable again. Sorry to offer no help, @adealadaymarket🙁

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I gave up international shipping after two Canadian buyers in a row threatened to leave negative feedback if i didn't lie about the item value on their customs forms.  And this was so long ago, I could have negged them back!  I'm sure I've missed out on some sales and auction bids, but i prefer the reduced hassles and expenses. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

...my stuffs cannot ship international...(only by ground, not freight)

...when I used to sell Chanel perfume, so many buyers from Germany and France were interested to make purchase but I refused...

...now I have buyers from Dominican Republic use freight forwarding from Miami and Doral, Florida...the two annoying factors are: 1- eBay charged FVF higher even though I blocked international buyers, 2- Spanish language in messages from these buyers...(I don't know Spanish...sorry...!!!)

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

You can easily translate their messages by copying and pasting into a service such as https://translate.google.com

The international surcharge is based on the location of the buyer's payment source (e.g.,bank account), not on the delivery address.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply