cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A buyer wants to have an item shipped to a diifferent address than her billing address

She would like to purchase the item as a wedding gift and have it sent to the bride-to-be's address.  She asked the receipt be sent to her (the buyer) address.   As a buyer, isn't our "receipt" basically the transaction information on our ebay profile? 

I have noticed that when I change the "ship to" address on the label, it says "may not be eligible for seller protection program" (I just did this as a test on another item I was shipping, there has been no type of transaction yet between us for the item in question, and I am glad she asked the question before purchasing.) 

I'm not 100% understanding what this means.  Is it a risk to the buyer/recipient?  Is it a risk to me?

I have one of those gut feelings that if I accept this situation, it's not going to end well.  Wedding presents are often duplicated and therefore returned.  If it were a low-price item, I would take the risk, but I am a just an occassional seller and anything over $100 is a great sale for me.  It is also a heavy item and my fear is that if I have to pay return shipping costs, I'm going to be out a good chunk of change.  

I know I can't base a sale on a gut feeling, but the last time I sold anything over $100 at this time of year, the package was mysteriously "lost."   I'm obviously willing to take the risk of selling a $100+ item again or I wouldn't have listed it, but is there any part of shipping to a different address than the buyer that puts this at elevated risk?

Sorry if I didn't explain this very clearly.   Thanks for any help you can provide!

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: A buyer wants to have an item shipped to a diifferent address than her billing address

The buyer doesn't need to open another account. She can add the daughter's address to her own existing account, as @mam98031 noted in post #5 . Under My eBay > Account tab > Addresses > Other shipping addresses.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Re: A buyer wants to have an item shipped to a diifferent address than her billing address

Last question - (I think)  The "receipt" that she mentions, I'm guessing she is referring to the invoice (which I just would not include with the package) but wouldn't the transaction information through PayPal be "receipt" enough? 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I would think so.  The PayPal transaction information (which she can print for herself)  includes more information about the transaction than you'd find on the regular default packing slip that you can print as part of the label purchase process.  

Probably she just doesn't want the recipient to know what she paid for it.   Reassure her that you can enclose a message that says who the package is from without revealing the price, if that's what she wants.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Thank you all for your help on this!  Much appreciated!

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@paleocrassas123 wrote:
Does M2M = Ebay's messaging system? And is it up to the buyer to provide the desired shipping address info to paypal?

Thanks for your help!

Yes.  M2M = Member to Member.

Yes, the buyer would supply the information.  Who else to you think would be able to give them that information?  Ebay nor PP could possibly know where anyone would like their item ship until they are told by the buyer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@paleocrassas123 wrote:
I have had a single buyer with multiple addresses (I don't deal with international shipping, but I have had a few people from Japan request that an item be shipped to a CA address. This doesn't bother me because the eventual recipient and buyer are the same.) I hope I'm correct using that rationale...

This situation bothers me that the person she is sending these to as a gift may not even know they're coming. I'm also envisioning the scenario that these are also on her registry and she will end up with multiples and need to return one of them.

I know I can't base my decision on assumptions, but I'm not exactly known for my great luck! 😉

Yes, you are fine.  As long as that address is what is on the PP payment.  And it is important to know that you, as the seller, is only responsible for the item to the address you ship to.  If after it is received at that address, someone repackages and/or reships the item to the international address, the buyer's protections in Ebay are void.  You are no longer responsible for the item once it is reshipped.

It isn't your responsibility to know if a buyer has the permission to ship to whatever address on the payment.  Your responsibility is to ship to the address on the PP payment.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

See if the Buyer can change the ship to address to her daughters address by starting another account. No protection from Pay Pal if you ship to an address not associated with the account.

@vintagecraze50

WHAT?  Anyone with a PP account can have multiple ship to addresses.  Anyone on Ebay can have multiple ship to addresses.  You do not have to open a separate account for every ship to address you may use.  Having multiple ship to addresses on your account on PP does NOT void your protection on that site as a member.  This is simply not true.  

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Ok--was thinking about credit card payments and how you always have to have the right address associated with the credit card I  paying as a guest instead of from the actual registered PP account.  So yes, that IS correct, as long as the PP payment specifies ship to in this case the daughter's address they should be ok.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@vintagecraze50

I'm honestly not sure why you would confuse the rules of any given credit card company with the rules of Ebay or PayPal.  They are all different.  

While certainly with a credit card your primary address should be correct, you can still ship to other addresses when paying with a credit card.  At least with a regular PP account.  I honestly don't know if the rule on that is different for a "guest".  I don't know why it would be, but I suppose it could be.  Paypal does not verify/confirm addresses for Ebay transactions and haven't for many years.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

The buyer doesn't need to open another account. She can add the daughter's address to her own existing account, as @mam98031 noted in post #5 . Under My eBay > Account tab > Addresses > Other shipping addresses.

Or just 'Change address' or 'Add address' when they go to check out. Much easier than going through ebays convoluted internal pages.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Or just 'Change address' or 'Add address' when they go to check out. Much easier than going through ebays convoluted internal pages.

@d-k_treasures

You don't need to go through Ebay's pages and I agree with you that it is far more difficult than it needs to be.  

Just add it in PP.  Be careful with Change Address as you want to make sure you don't touch your primary address, just add another ship to address..  But I completely agree, far easier to do in PP.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

.. Or just 'Change address' or 'Add address' when they go to check out. Much easier than going through ebays convoluted internal pages.

Yes it is easier, which is why I recommended above: "But during the payment process, the buyer has the option to change the name and address to anything they choose."  But my later response was supposed to address vintage's specific concern.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@d-k_treasures

You don't need to go through Ebay's pages and I agree with you that it is far more difficult than it needs to be.  

Just add it in PP.  Be careful with Change Address as you want to make sure you don't touch your primary address, just add another ship to address..  But I completely agree, far easier to do in PP.

You dont need to add it in PP either - just add the new address in the checkout screen as partial had mentioned also.

Never, ever do that.

Tell them to add that address in ebay before checkout and select it when they pay.

If they have already checked out, tell them it is too late.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

The first words of the first post are "She would like to purchase the item..." Clearly she has't paid yet.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply