eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

atouchofeverythingmam
Community Member

Buyer says did not receive item . Tracking shows delivered.

The buyer says she did not receive the item .  Tracking shows item delivered.  Do I have to refund the money or should I??

Please use plain text.
couldabeenworse
Community Member

Re: Buyer says did not receive item . Tracking shows delivered.

in reply to atouchofeverythingmam

First, don't worry just yet; many of these packages show up within a few days after you provide buyer with the tracking number.  Calling the buyer's PO and/or asking him to check with family members may speed that up.  In the meantime, try to keep both parties calm and professional.  Some sellers aggravate the situation so badly that they still get poor feedback even after the package is found.

In the meantime, a couple of things might be relevant:

Was the package insured?

How much was the sale?

Please use plain text.
deeplist
Community Member

If the buyer says they didn't receive the item, but it shows it was delivered, then there's only 3 possible scenarios:

1) The buyer is simply lying and they really do have the item.

2) Somebody stole the package from the mailbox or doorstep.

3) The item was delivered elsewhere by mistake, like the neighbors for example.

Don't automatically assume the buyer is lying. This same situation has happened with things I've sold a couple of times and it turns out the package was delivered at the neighbor's house by mistake and it takes another 2 or 3 days for it to be returned to the PO and then delivered to the correct address.... or the neighbor eventually takes it to the correct address themselves.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

Calling the buyer's local post office is a good idea, but tell the buyer you're doing it first before you actually do. Sometimes packages mysteriously "appear" when the buyer realizes that an investigation is going to be started to determine the whereabouts of the "missing" package.

If the buyer opens a claim for INR (item not received) and the delivery confirmation shows it was delivered, they buyer will lose the claim, BUT nothing prevents the buyer from leaving bad feedback at any time during or after the transaction. So, don't get too emotional in your correspondence with the buyer. Keep it professional, take your time, and make no assumptions or accusations.

Please use plain text.
couldabeenworse
Community Member

If the buyer says they didn't receive the item, but it shows it was delivered, then there's only 3 possible scenarios:

There are probably even more, but you missed what appears to be a common one:

Carrier scanned the package as delivered (either before leaving on his route at at the recipient's doorstep), then, for any number of reasons, failed to actually deliver it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

first d.c. isn't tracking, it's not always correct.

i have a package showing "out for delivery" now for over a month that never arrived as yet.

if a small amount , i'd just refund buyer cost of item

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Please use plain text.
Community Member

DITTO on deeplists response!

Please use plain text.
deeplist
Community Member

Carrier scanned the package as delivered (either before leaving on his route at at the recipient's doorstep), then, for any number of reasons, failed to actually deliver it.

That simply doesn't happen. A package will not ever say "delivered" when it's still still sitting in a postal truck or at a post office somewhere. A "delivery" scan isn't performed until the moment the parcel is dropped on the doorstep, or placed in the mailbox.

The three scenarios I pointed out above are the ONLY explanations as to why a package would show "delivered" but supposedly never received.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Actually, it does happen. It has happened to packages sent to me as I live on a rural route and often things will be scanned as delivered by the carrier and I have to wait at our local gas station for her to drop it off, if she remembers. I have had a "delivered" package sit in her car for 3-4 days in the past.

Please use plain text.
couldabeenworse
Community Member

A package will not ever say "delivered" when it's still still sitting in a postal truck or at a post office somewhere. A "delivery" scan isn't performed until the moment the parcel is dropped on the doorstep, or placed in the mailbox.

You are assuming the carrier is competent, trustworthy and properly equipped.  I'm sure there are carriers that cut corners, and I've been told there are still some routes in my area where the carrier doesn't even have a handheld scanner, so they scan the parcels before they even put them in the truck.

At my home address it is not at all unusual to see a 7:30 am delivery scan even though the item doesn't reach my mailbox until 2:30 pm.

Please use plain text.
deeplist
Community Member

[ Edited ]

I live on a rural route and often things will be scanned as delivered by the carrier and I have to wait at our local gas station for her to drop it off

What kind of a post office do you have in your area? That doesn't make any sense what-so-ever. The USPS is legally obligated to serve all Americans, regardless of geography, at uniform price and quality. How is it that you have to "meet" your postal carrier at a "gas station" in order to receive your packages? That's ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

The post office has many LESS employees now.  Maybe it's that way in that area because it's impossible for that 1 carrier to cover a huge area in a 7- 8 hour shift. Count your blessings if you post office is near you and you have competent carriers!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

DEEP is 100% on T!!  However,  from my own experiences call Ebay ask them what to do, have them open a case to protect yourself if it gets nasty.  Or if the item is NOT expensive and below $20.00 I'd just give that person a refund, smile and then block them a neg is not worth $20 because they will come back with a fb either or.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]

DEEP: "What kind of a post office do you have in your area?"

Omg wait, I'm still on the floor LMOA!   =/ Be nice people geesh maybe this person really is a redneck..and Betty boo boo is his/her daughter, jk.  My husband is a farm boy so this is a joke.

I had a situation where we DID make a mistake on a package, one number off on the address.  So, the mail guy gets there and the people sign for a package coming from us..=/  So, the buyer emails us and says the mail person at the post office said that that express mail package was delivered to 4(#$ didid st..not my address.  Now nobody is in the house, I mean like gone, bye bye.

So, I am going to refund her the $200.00 because WE did mess up, but the package was in her name and a man signed for it! I learned to ALWAY make sure its a restricted EXPRESS package...live, learn, laugh lifes to short.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Oh and then there was the lady who told us that we were up to something with the PO because her package was sitting in the middle of Bell Gardens somewhere for over 3 weeks!!!!! I called the office they had to report it, I told her we couldn't possibly control that, she demanded a refund! I gave it to her because that I'm told was our fault too?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Oh and so when the purse gets there she'll get that for free too!

No negs from her yet, was it worth it.

Yes.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

That simply doesn't happen. A package will not ever say "delivered" when it's still still sitting in a postal truck or at a post office somewhere. A "delivery" scan isn't performed until the moment the parcel is dropped on the doorstep, or placed in the mailbox.

The three scenarios I pointed out above are the ONLY explanations as to why a package would show "delivered" but supposedly never received.

lol, we have packages scanned as delivered here, that are still in mail carriers truck. they either couldn't fit them in the cluster box or the package box was full with  another's mail.

they scan them when they want in most cases. i still have one showing scanned out for delivery , been 2 months.

have several that were never scanned but were delivered.

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Please use plain text.
deeplist
Community Member

The post office has many LESS employees now.  Maybe it's that way in that area because it's impossible for that 1 carrier to cover a huge area in a 7- 8 hour shift. Count your blessings if you post office is near you and you have competent carriers!

Postal downsizing has NOTHING to do with it. Again, the USPS is legally obligated to serve all Americans, regardless of geography, at uniform price and quality. There is absolutely NO WAY that any post office is going to REQUIRE you to meet your carrier at some gas station to collect your mail. PERIOD.

And if they do, for whatever reason, and you believe you have to do that in order to get your mail, then you need to contact them and file a complaint against that particular post office because they're not doing their job.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

It has happened to me when I've ordered items from Amazon and they use ONTRAC to deliver.  I have received the item 1 to 3 days after it shows delivered.  Also, one time with the USPS but got an apology from the postman who said he just forgot to leave it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Actually, this has happened to me. I live in a 3 lot complex and the walk from the street to my home is about a 100ft walk. The mail carrier knows I receive a lot of packages and usually waits a day until more packages arrive to make the walk up to my home if they do not fit into the mailbox up front. I acutally have a package now that is scanned as delivered, but will most likely show up tomorrow along with a few other items I'm expecting.

Please use plain text.
homecomforts
Community Member

1) The buyer is simply lying and they really do have the item.

2) Somebody stole the package from the mailbox or doorstep.

3) The item was delivered elsewhere by mistake, like the neighbors for example.

Don't automatically assume the buyer is lying. This same situation has happened with things I've sold a couple of times and it turns out the package was delivered at the neighbor's house by mistake and it takes another 2 or 3 days for it to be returned to the PO and then delivered to the correct address.... or the neighbor eventually takes it to the correct address themselves.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

Calling the buyer's local post office is a good idea, but tell the buyer you're doing it first before you actually do. Sometimes packages mysteriously "appear" when the buyer realizes that an investigation is going to be started to determine the whereabouts of the "missing" package.

If the buyer opens a claim for INR (item not received) and the delivery confirmation shows it was delivered, they buyer will lose the claim, BUT nothing prevents the buyer from leaving bad feedback at any time during or after the transaction. So, don't get too emotional in your correspondence with the buyer. Keep it professional, take your time, and make no assumptions or accusations.

Very good post. It's always a tricky situation. I've had this occur 4 times in my selling career. The first time, the buyer was finally able to locate it at another address that was similar. The second and third time, the buyer and I agreed to split the cost . The fourth time, I told the buyer it showed delivered and to check around. She emailed me to tell me that she checked with the neighbors but no package. I told her I would let her know if it came back to me but it did not and she did not contact me further. I don't know if it ever found her or not. When I get a misdelivered package, I put it back out for redelivery.

Like the quoted post, keep lines of communication open and do what you feel is right and fair. There is no one solution that fits all problems.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
eBay is not one size fits all. There is no shame in selling low end items nor glory in high end designers. Money is one color: green
************************************************************************************************************************************************
Please use plain text.