cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller charged for UPS shipping option but shipping USPS

Good Day. Not so good day for me....    😞  I purchased some shrimp from a seller.  I shopped around quite a lot to find one that had UPS shipping as these were live shrimp and the Post Office (USPS) does not deliver fast enough or deliver to my door. I paid the extra 10 bucks for 2nd day Air and UPS as opposed to free USPS shipping so the shrimp would have a good chance of making it alive. I made the order and was contacted by the seller. Seller wanted me to upgrade shipping from standard USPS?  I had ordered UPS 2 day air and was confused as to the sellers inquiry. I responded telling the seller that I already paid for upgraded shipping with UPS. They already took the extra money to pay for that upgraded shipping. Where I live was also explained to the seller and that being the reason I paid for UPS. UPS delivers to my door where the post office does not. Next I get a shipping confirmation of my address. I responded with the proper address. Today I get a notice that my order will be shipped USPS and not UPS!  I wrote them again and included copies of the order and their own shipping options they have on their page. Again said that USPS will not be an option. I just heard back and they said they are shipping this Wednesday by USPS! I formally asked them to cancel the order because they (1) took my money for UPS shipping and (2) Refuse to ship the way I paid even though proof was given.   I have refrained from giving the sellers name at this point because I do not know if I am allowed. That said I wish others could be warned about this misleading info on shipping their product!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If your experience continues to play out the way you're describing, that's what negative feedback is for. 

The only excuse I could think of for shipping via the wrong service would be maybe they have lots of orders and didn't notice the different shipping selected on yours. The fact that the seller got in contact with you about shipping method would tend to downplay that as a possibility though.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Not sure I understand it all.....

"(USPS) does not deliver fast enough or deliver to my door"

Did you have just a PO Box for your delivery address, this is the address on file before you placed the order.  UPS may not be available as an option when buying a label for an address that is a PO Box without a street address too. 

"Next I get a shipping confirmation of my address. I responded with the proper address." 

There seems to have been a problem with the address.  The shipping address is not something you change or add to after the order has been placed.   Most sellers will cancel the order and allow you to repurchase with the correct address.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Don't understand why that this is happening?

You just need to ask your seller for more of an explanation

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

UPDATE.........

After further communication with the seller, the order was cancelled at my request. The seller finally gave a response as follows.....

"We do not ship by UPS any more because the last time I did they cost me over $30,000 due to dead product."

I do question that as it has been my experience with a relative recently retired from UPS that does not happen unless circumstances are out of UPS's control such as earthquake, hurricanes, riots, and any other disturbances that can arise en-route to delivering the package.  However that was the reason that the seller gave. I responded to the seller with a thank you for cancelling the order and the very prompt refund. I then suggested that.... (1) They should have explained that in the very first communication asking for an upgrade in shipping... and, (2)  They should remove the "Ship by UPS Second Day Air" option off the web page.  After just now looking, that UPS option is still there!

It is my opinion that many buyers will not even notice. The seller leaves the UPS option on the site, buyer chooses that, and seller pockets an additional 10 - 22 dollars. I only caught it because the USPS (Post Office) does not deliver to my door since I live in a private community. We all have our mail boxes at the entrance and any packages too big for the box are picked up at the local Post Office.

So buyer beware! Make sure you pay close attention to the shipping the seller is using!  And make sure to get the shipping you paid for! If not, document everything,  all communications, and take screenshots of the terms. Then that would fall under the E-Bay guarantee of not getting what you paid for and that would trigger E-Bay's involvement if needed and you would have all the proof if the seller decides to change the page after the fact.   Fortunately, my situation did not come to that undesirable end, but it was the next thing to do if the seller would of refused the cancellation request.

I thank everyone that responded! I learned a few things. Most of all, That I am not alone in the E-Bay world! Take care and God Bless!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

UPS and FedEX are the only ones that deliver to my door. I live in a neighbor hood with all the mailboxes at one location however still carry a street address.  Post Office does not go to peoples door here because the roads are private and post office says their insurance will not cover that. They can only drive on publicly maintained roads.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Please read my update. After which you will see what they said, and the fact that they still have the UPS shipping option on their page. Fishey! (Pun Intended)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply