cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is ebay not allowing 18650 battery sales anymore??

i use to sell salvaged used 18650 lithium batteries all the time..... suddenly i get this ebay message:::

Due to product safety concerns, 18650 batteries are not allowed unless they are included with a product or accessory designed to use them.

so i have to include a case or product w every sale now?

i currently see thousands of listings for just 18650 batteries.... how are they circumventing the restriction?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Seems like the reason is obvious.............  As to the other sellers.....they may just have not run into the obstruction yet....perhaps when the batteries go to be relisted they will be pulled........

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

The USPS and other carriers may be cracking down on restrictions on shipping these on aircraft or vessels without proper labeling. USPS info here:

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_027.htm?q=349.11&t=H&s=R&p=1&c=Pub52

FedEx and UPS have similar rules 

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Perhaps because yours are salvaged used 18650 lithium batteries.

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

How many of them are based out of China?  How many of those batteries are filled with sand?

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Have you had that experience?  I don't buy batteries from China so I wouldn't know if that would happen.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

I don't have a good source off the top of my head but fake 18650s are well known to exist in the electronics community.  If memory serves correct anything claiming to have a capacity over 3000mAh is either lying or a fake.

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Because eBay is a Marxist organization who wants you to be broke, and poor. I'm opening up account on competing auction websites. I'll sell my batteries there.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

I got ticketed for speeding the other day.

How come all the other speeders did not get a ticket?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 40
latest reply

They are classified as hazardous materials which can explode or catch on fire during transit posing a hazard to aircraft, trucks, and handlers. 

Most shipping companies have restrictions or protocols that you must follow when shipping batteries.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

Transporting lithium batteries:

https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/lithiumbatteries

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Yet they will let you sell the same batteries if they are installed within  some equipment or device. This is ludicrous. I put up two listings yesterday not knowing about the restriction  but have sold a lot of "repurposed" batteries in the past. This morning they were removed with the notice about their new policy. This is NANNY STATE **bleep**, or it is entirely to protect eBAY. I wish another company would appear that would provide some competition. : / 😕  😕  😕 😕

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Great idea.  Why don't you be the one to start the new site?

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@len4jdk wrote:

Yet they will let you sell the same batteries if they are installed within  some equipment or device. This is ludicrous. I put up two listings yesterday not knowing about the restriction  but have sold a lot of "repurposed" batteries in the past. This morning they were removed with the notice about their new policy. This is NANNY STATE **bleep**, or it is entirely to protect eBAY. I wish another company would appear that would provide some competition. : / 😕  😕  😕 😕

No it is to protect the unknowing: from fools who desire to make money no mater the risks are to others.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@mikepav1 wrote:

so i have to include a case or product w every sale now?

No, you need to respect the spirit of the restriction and stop selling salvaged used 18650 lithium batteries 🙂

Message 15 of 40
latest reply