cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who has confidence in eBay right now?

Between the fee's and lack of sales or views for that matter I am losing confidence at an alarming rate in eBay.

Even worse if possible is the USPS. I have TWO items I have purchased get lost in shipping--not delayed but lost in the last 7 days.

As a seller I have no confidence in anything I sell getting to the buyer. I understand the delays in transit time but not packages that don't even make it out of their zip code.

schemes within schemes
the serpent is a good sign
someday you may swallow yourself
by accident
Message 1 of 109
latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: who has confidence in eBay right now?

My previous post should have read as a buyer ,I have 100% confidence. Seller...Not so much

Message 76 of 109
latest reply

Buyers are becoming leery of eBay due to shipping times. ( and that may get worse). donsdetour 

That could explain the reduction in sales   sellers are seeing   right now .  Most everyone knows by now that the pandemic has really messed things up . I'm  glad I began my Christmas shopping for my family and friends very early  this year .  If I were still empty handed with gifts on todays date,,   I'd be shopping at the malls and department stores  rather than put my faith  in online deliveries  getting here on time . 

Message 77 of 109
latest reply

Some of the  restaurants aren't managing the shut downs well  at all   though . Some are going completely broke  and may be forced to go out of business  for good . There was one  woman who was forced to shut down  her restaurant and she was furious  that another eating  establishment  just  20 feet away  was allowed to remain open . .  Doesn't make much sense . 

Message 78 of 109
latest reply

The taxes are not Ebay's fault. They were against it from the beginning. After the case South Dakota versus Wayfair was decided in favor of the state in a 5-4 decision by the US Supreme court in 2018 many states passed similar market facilitator laws REQUIRING Ebay and the like to collect sales tax on behalf of all sellers.

If you are against the taxes write and call the politicians in the states that have passed these laws. 

I have been selling on eBay with several different accounts for the most part of the last 20 plus years. Yes the fees have gone up but in my opinion they have not skyrocketed. Ebay isn't immune to general inflation. 

In order to be successful on eBay you have to be able to source your inventory at right price.  As a seller you should be able to know in your head what something should sell for. I base all of my buy prices based on conservative sell prices. My rule of thumb is if I can't at least double my money after I subtract all of my costs (Ebay fees, Paypal fees, shipping supplies, postage, and labor from the sell price I won't buy it. I mainly buy from a network of dealers I have developed over many years who are looking to liquidate excess inventory. They know what I pay and will usually contact me if they have something they know I'm looking for when they need cash.   

Message 79 of 109
latest reply

turquoisetulips,

This all becomes sort of not important when we are faced with real adversity.  I am sending my love and hope for your sister and your family. 

Keep your positive outlook, and if you need a lawnmower, I will gladly find one for you 🙂 I'm in So Cal.

Sending all my good thoughts and hopes to you and your family.

Grandma

Message 80 of 109
latest reply

@jg

yes to your post #70.  exactly....

schemes within schemes
by accident
Message 81 of 109
latest reply

@theteamsetguy 

In order to be successful on eBay you have to be able to source your inventory at right price.  As a seller you should be able to know in your head what something should sell for.

absolutely correct. 

I recently came into a pretty good source--but the part about knowing what something will sell for? I find that difficult even using the advanced search for sold.

That seems to be all over the place---one item sells for $150 and another for $275

Like vs.LIke

it's risky ---nothing is guaranteed and eBay doesn't have your back as a seller.

schemes within schemes
by accident
Message 82 of 109
latest reply

I have items where the tracking was imputed on 12/1 that still have not left the local clearing house. Crazy

Message 83 of 109
latest reply

Yep here's an example -our delivery man resigned almost a year ago but had enough vacation accrued that the PO can't even advertise his position yet.

Message 84 of 109
latest reply

With my buyers, I always send the email message below WHEN I receive the payment.  So far, my buyers have been very understanding of the situation we are experiencing today.  Some sellers may not have the time to do this "customer extra care service" but in my opinion, it is worth the extra step versus ignoring your customer completely and depending on eBay's automatic thank you and estimated arrival of the package (always off).  This has prevented additional frustration. 

Also, I request that my packages be picked up during the regular delivery time. I had a problem with the carrier NOT scanning the tracking into the system.  I made a call to the postmaster of my station and explained that I am doing business and will not receive a discount IF my packages are not scanned into USPS's system on the day of pickup.  Postmaster informed the carrier to completely do their JOB and that is scanning all pickup packages.  This is another way to prevent automatic dings to your eBay seller account that is out of your control.  If one "late ship" slips through and I'm dinged, I call eBay, explain what USPS did NOT do and eBay removes the ding immediately.

All of the above works for me.... hope you can make the time because it's worth it and you have an email trail if the buyer leaves negative feedback that was out of your control..... eBay will remove.

Template of the email I send to all of my buyers:

Thank you for your purchase. Your  (insert item) will be mailed, 12/14 via PRIORITY

Please note: USPS is experiencing later than normal delivery INCLUDING PRIORITY PACKAGES. This is due to COVID, lack of employees, and dismantled sorting machines in major distribution centers. These problems along with the tremendous holiday mail volume are creating major delivery problems. This is out of my control. Hopefully, you will receive your package in a timely manner.

You will receive an automatic eBay notice with the tracking number so you can follow the transit of your package.  We will also monitor your package tracking.

PLEASE contact me FIRST If you have ANY PROBLEMS before returning, checking neutral, NEGATIVE, or checking less than 5 stars in each category feedback.

I strive to pack items to prevent transit damage. If the item arrives damaged please contact me IMMEDIATELY for instructions.

I strive for 100% positive 5-star customer satisfaction.

Thank you again for your business and PLEASE stay safe.

Message 85 of 109
latest reply

This is what buyers expect. When you place an order on another website if you don’t get the package most places will send the buyer another one. 

As a seller you have to know there will be dishonest buyers out there. I price in 2% margin for lost packages, damaged packages, mistakes when I send the wrong item, fraudulent returns, buyers claiming something was missing in the order, and etc. I still think for the most part buyers are honest. 

Message 86 of 109
latest reply

@team

This is what buyers expect. When you place an order on another website if you don’t get the package most places will send the buyer another one. 

yes I understand 

but in the beginning( insert thunder here)

eBay was made on mom and pop.

not gigantic sellers that have 100K +++ feedback

those places have margin built in because they can afford it

most sellers I think that are small are running on a tiny margin.

in this case I am the buyer and I feel badly for the seller.

do you think eBay has her back?? I can file a INR right now and she has to refund.

even though the item is clearly held up --and if I were dishonest?

I could possibly get my item and not refund her.

schemes within schemes
by accident
Message 87 of 109
latest reply

Hi,  

There are other venues out there that take care of their sellers.

Message 88 of 109
latest reply

cahue-20
Scout

I probably won’t buy much more here. One tshirt company is not standing by it’s return policy. Several of my Pyrex purchases are very late. Two packages have broken Pyrex pieces. Return policy is convoluted. A promised replacement bowl is still missing with no tracking. I am pretty much sure I will not trust any of this again.

Message 89 of 109
latest reply

where?

schemes within schemes
by accident
Message 90 of 109
latest reply