cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

while walking my dogs ....

this morning a thought popped into my head.

How many orders have you had that shipped less than 100 miles from your location? I believe for me it is around 3. The great majority have gone at least 500.

Just curious.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: while walking my dogs ....

I'm in Florida.   I've had VERY few Florida customers over the years.    For some reason California, and Portland, Oregon have been my most popular destinations.  Why Portland I have no idea.  For a few years I used to get a few sales (2-4) to California every month... but that suddenly ended.  My last California sale was 12/31/23. 

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Many, but we have a local retail presence so some of our eBay purchases are from people local to us that know about our eBay store because of our retail store.  That's not the most common situation around here, so I'd imagine most sellers have a lot fewer local orders unless they do primary local pickup.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I have sold quite a few items to people that live within a 30-mile radius. Sometimes they ask to add local pickup on the listing and I will do that, and will meet them somewhere in the middle.  But I think for the most part buyers want to remain anonymous and don't want face-to-face contact, and will still have it shipped if nearby.

I have booths in a local antique mall in a larger near-by city, and have taken things out of there and put on Ebay, only to sell online to someone in that very city that could've purchased it in person if they had only gone into that store.

A couple of years ago we were traveling through a small town in Kansas and happened upon a nice sale where I bought several old advertising items from that town.  Got home to Colorado, listed the items on Ebay, and were bought by different people from that very town in Kansas.

I'd say, generally speaking, most of my sales go to California, Illinois, New York, Texas, Florida; coincidentally the states with the highest populations to begin with.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@squinkercat59  Thanks for the smile---love the Kansas story!

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I have quite a few local sales actually.  I sell some local history items and local college items, so I often have buyers near me or where I work.  I once shipped a yearbook to my own zip code.   I also sent an item just a few blocks from where my family lives in Florida.  Small world!

For me, I live in the SW corner of Ohio, so 100 miles can include Indiana and Kentucky.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

I do 7 day auctions and I'm fortunate enough to have approx. 10 repeat buyers every week! They are from MT, CO, MS, FL, VA, NY, NC, and IN. Quite a variety in states. About once a month I get a local pick up and usually meet for coffee. Make new friends that way!

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Few are within 100 miles but then parts of upper NY, NJ and CT are within that range and I'm in NYS.  I do get many calls from locals looking to pick things up last minute but unfortunately i don't have a b&m; only online stores. 

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

I had a buyer in the same condo community in which we live… less than 500 yards away.

Yes, I shipped it. 

It took four days for delivery. lol

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I live in Texas and since 2013 have had about 6 items shipped within the entire state.  Probably 2 were within 150 miles.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@mike_jayroe wrote:

this morning a thought popped into my head.

How many orders have you had that shipped less than 100 miles from your location? I believe for me it is around 3. The great majority have gone at least 500.

Just curious.

Usually mine go to the opposite coast but a few months back I had two in one week. One was 12 miles from me and the other less than ten.  First time. 

As for all time total the went close by, maybe a dozen. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I had 3 or 4 orders so far this week that shipped to Hawaii.

Good thing I ship to Hawaii.    😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

A great number. I live in a highly populated, high-income area, and because I offer calculated shipping, often times my listing will be much more appealing price-wise to someone who lives near me than an item with free or flat-rate shipping will be.

In fact, in the past 90 days alone I've shipped 5 things to destinations within 100 miles of me.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

I'm in central Virginia. Out of the last thousand or so items we sold, easily 50% were within the state, maybe 5% were actually local pickups.

DC here and I get a ton of sales to VA too.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I've sold quite a few to people within that range. One item went to someone who lives on the ridge that overlooks my house, and another to the apartment building next to the old post office - they could have lobbed it onto her balcony from the loading dock lol, another down the hill. Sometimes I meet people at the local Starbucks (easy to find).

When I lived in Seattle I lived in a kind of rough neighbourhood. A couple of times people wanted to pick something up and I would tell them where I lived, and they'd just ask me to ship it lol. A couple of other people were happy to stop by.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

I ship all over the place, have never noticed a pattern.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply