cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sell in e bay retirement ?

my question is
My only job is e bay. If tomorrow I retire, will I collect retirement because I sell on e bay?
I've been selling in e bay for about 5 years
Thank you so much

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: sell in e bay retirement ?

You seem to believe you work for eBay and will receive retirement benefits from them.

You don't and you won't.  

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

If your age makes you eligible for Social Security, then you do not have to retire from selling on eBay to collect SS payments. Depending on your age, you might have reduced payments if your eBay earnings are above a specific threshold (currently about $18,000)..

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/agereduction.html

Even it they're old enough to qualify at present, they haven't met the quarterly social security tax pay in requirement. They've stated this is all they've worked, only 5 years. 

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@cristian3_6 wrote:

my question is
My only job is e bay. If tomorrow I retire, will I collect retirement because I sell on e bay?
I've been selling in e bay for about 5 years
Thank you so much

this is a joke????

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

EBay would have to be your employer. You do realize just because you use their venue to

list your items you are not an employee? This is actually no more than a classified ad. Just want to make sure you understood the distinction.

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

when I went to the counter I asked him and he told me that for paying the taxes he said yes
What I understand is that when I am 65 years old, can I request the benefit?

sorry if I misspell I use google translator

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

@cristian3_6 wrote:

when I went to the counter I asked him and he told me that for paying the taxes he said yes

@cristian3_6 

There are NO retirement benefits for sellers on eBay. There is nothing to request. 

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

The benefit comes from Social Security. It does not come  from eBay.  You were not an employee of eBay, so you do not get any retirement benefits directly from eBay.

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

Is this a real question?

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

thank you very much now I understand

But won't it be a lot of money like a retirement?

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

No.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

The amount you get back in Social Security depends on how much you paid in while you worked.  Social Security is good about sending estimates every year to those eligible.  It also depends on your age at retirement, the longer you wait the more you get.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Thank you very much for answering
I learned something new

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

@cristian3_6 wrote:

You can apply for a Social Security benefit.  Whether or not you get one depends upon how long you worked in the U.S. and how much you paid into Social Security when you worked. 

Unlike many other countries, in the U.S. an old age pension is not an automatic entitlement. nor is it based on need.  

The U.S. government old age pension, Social Security is based on how long you worked and how much you paid into the Social Security fund during the time you worked.

Your monthly benefit is then calculated on the length of time you worked and the amount you contributed, so the monthly benefit can range form a minimum of $42 per month to a maximum of $3,985 a month.

To be eligible at all, as others have said you must work a minimum of 40 "quarters," a quarter being a three-month calendar period.  (40X3=120 months, or 10 years). 

Americans who have worked their entire adult lives, earning average incomes, get about $1.500 a month.

=

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

That was a really good answer. I was about to post this type of information. It's great to see accurate Social Security and accounting information on a public forum. 

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

thank you very much for the good answer
I've been in e bay for 10 years, I made like 50 thousand dollars
How much would the approximate social security pay me per month

Message 30 of 36
latest reply