cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sell in e bay retirement ?

my question is
My only job is e bay. If tomorrow I retire, will I collect retirement because I sell on e bay?
I've been selling in e bay for about 5 years
Thank you so much

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: sell in e bay retirement ?

The benefit comes from Social Security. It does not come  from eBay.  You were not an employee of eBay, so you do not get any retirement benefits directly from eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Yes, you will be able to set up payments to yourself from the funds that YOU have deposited into YOUR personal retirement fund over the past 5 years.

If you spent all the money that you made then................   no, there will be no retirement payments mad e to you.

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Being self-employed doesn't exempt you from paying into Social Security (assuming you are US based). If you have been reporting income and paying taxes and SS, the once you reach retirement age yes you could collect SS

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

You pay into SS the entire time that you are reporting wages earned. It makes no difference if you are self employed, it's based on earned wages. The way you've written your question is full of holes. What did you do before you starting selling on eBay? 

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

There are no retirement funds from eBay. 

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

No retirement, no insurance, no holiday pay...nada.  

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

The way I read your question is that you've been selling on eBay for 5 years. You never had another job. This is the only income you have ever had. You are asking if you can collect Social Security.

Obviously, you should speak to an accountant rather than relying on these answers (including mine).

My question is: Have you been declaring your on-line sales income on your taxes and paying your Social Security taxes? If so, maybe, probably depending on how much you paid in.

Even after you begin collecting Social Security, at certain ages you still have to declare your income and, if it reaches a certain point, you might have your payments reduced by that amount. I think that once you hit a certain age, maybe 67 (not sure) there is no limit on the added income you can make.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

hello everyone thanks for answering
Yes, every year I pay with the tax accountant
about e bay, taxes and all that

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

You must have accumulated at least 40 quarters of work in "covered employment" in order to qualify for Social Security upon turning 62 (if applying for early benefits). A quarter is based on 3 calendar months (4 per year). In addition, you must earn at least $1,470 in a quarter (in 2021) for it to count.

With only 5 years paying into Social Security that's just 20 quarters, you need another 20 quarters to qualify if you also reach the $1470 earnings per quarter.

It's based on quarters versus years, as people may not work every year. Understand the amount you receive is based on the amount paid in, which is why benefits vary greatly per individual. Even if you reach 40 quarters, which is just 10 years combined work, you'd need to make a good amount of money in that time to receive much of anything in benefits. Most people who collect social security have paid in for at least 40 years!

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Ebay has no retirement benefits.............if you are paying into soc sec, you should be able to collect benefits from them IF you have paid in enough quarters.......which think is 40.........i.e. paid in for 10 yrs........

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

You will not collect retirement from eBay.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@cristian3_6 wrote:

hello everyone thanks for answering
Yes, every year I pay with the tax accountant
about e bay, taxes and all that

Then your accountant is the best person to ask this question, and can give you more detail because they're aware of your own tax situation.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Not unless you either saved on the side, or else declared your earnings and paid self employment taxes (which include social security)....

BUT, haven't you had regular jobs prior to the 5 Ebay years? Those would have taken out Social Security.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@cristian3_6 

What did you do before you sold on e-bay for 5 years?  Did you work and pay into fica/futa with an employer of some sort?  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

If your age makes you eligible for Social Security, then you do not have to retire from selling on eBay to collect SS payments. Depending on your age, you might have reduced payments if your eBay earnings are above a specific threshold (currently about $18,000)..

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/agereduction.html

Message 15 of 36
latest reply