cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"See full item description" Button

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+a... us

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

Re: "See full item description" Button

If they think they've cleared it out or "fixed" the problem, it's only on what THEY are seeing - it's a scam, hoax, pulling the sheeps wool over the eyes.  Buyers do NOT see your full description, but must click on the "See Full Item Description" icon.  YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED BY EBAY.  Any seller that thinks their listings are just fine and dandy, need to reach out to friends/outsiders and have them look at their items.  They will NOT see the full description, but they WILL SEE an advertisement (never seen before) towards the right-hand side, and YES it is within the four corners of YOUR listing.  Ebay is placing outside ads, using us sellers to do their dirty work.  I never agreed or even knew about placing ads in my listings.  Will I get paid for having over 3,000 ads from credit card companies, car companies, etc., in my listings?  I don't think so!

Message 76 of 195
latest reply

@blonsterkathryn wrote:

If they think they've cleared it out or "fixed" the problem, it's only on what THEY are seeing - it's a scam, hoax, pulling the sheeps wool over the eyes.  Buyers do NOT see your full description, but must click on the "See Full Item Description" icon.  YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED BY EBAY.  Any seller that thinks their listings are just fine and dandy, need to reach out to friends/outsiders and have them look at their items.  They will NOT see the full description, but they WILL SEE an advertisement (never seen before) towards the right-hand side, and YES it is within the four corners of YOUR listing.  Ebay is placing outside ads, using us sellers to do their dirty work.  I never agreed or even knew about placing ads in my listings.  Will I get paid for having over 3,000 ads from credit card companies, car companies, etc., in my listings?  I don't think so!

I looked at a random number of your listings and I can see all of your descriptions and I see no ads for credit card companies, car companies etc. All I see is that you are shipping a lot of your magazines by Media Mail and they should not be shipped by that method since it is against postal regulations. Otherwise your listings look fine.

Message 77 of 195
latest reply

I am a 15 year eBay top rated seller with many years on the site. I have seen many changes to the auction ads. I have to say that this new "See full item description " button is the worst, most ill conceived change to the auction page in the history of the eBay site. This page is what we as sellers pay eBay for. It is a terrible idea and must be something dreamed up to make things easier is some way for eBay because it sure does not do this for sellers or buyers. Buyers now have to go an extra step to see the complete description. Many buyers/bidders will not go to the complete description and then complain to sellers about an incomplete description. 

We have never been allowed any input or say-so on changes made to the auction ad page that we buy from eBay. This latest one is incredibly user un-friendly and there appears to be no intelligent thought process in its creation.

The first of these auction page compromises eBay forced upon sellers was the ad that shows up on each auction page on the top right hand side. We pay for the page but are forced to share it with another huge corporation so they and eBay can make even more money. You would think that a multi-billion dollar monopoly ( that would be eBay ) makes enough revenue. 

Ebay is NOT listening, and it is VERY doubtful that eBay will do anything about any of these really unfair changes to sellers auction pages.

Message 78 of 195
latest reply

Blonster.....

After getting an email from you I looked at one of your listings using Chrome and the same listing using Firefox. The one on Chrome had the view button. (no advertising by a credit card company or any other outside vendor came up to the right of the button.

When using Firefox your full listing for that same item showed up in the "regular" manner.

Just telling you what I saw. If this keeps up, I will modify the top part of my description and HOPE that shows up in eBay's abbreviated version of my work. I might also put in a sentence that says "push the button" to see more detail that eBay is keeping from you.
Message 79 of 195
latest reply

@kavi1030 wrote:

@traderbob444 wrote:

I deleted my browsing history and cookies on Google Chrome.  It worked instantly, and I went of with business as usual.  

YOU ARE RIGHT! I went in and deleted my browsing history and my listings are back to showing the description as before.
thanks!!

Sorry, you (and others) are not thinking logically.  Yes, we can do all of these things for yourself - clear c/c, use a diff browser etc., and maybe see things better in OUR world.

But a seller likely does NOT see what you see, they see this stupid button, inaccurate leading spoiler sentences, see that they have to waste time to make extra clicks... they are not going to take the time (even if they know how or why) to change browsers or to clean c/c to see things the way they are supposed to be)... so they lose interest and back out of the page and another possible sale fails.

I asked before (with no reply that I've seen), how can eBay claim we are responsible for our listings when they are the one writing them and making them inaccurate gibberish and hogwash?  I think I (?maybe we all?) should consider composing a disclaimer which instructs and implores possible buyers to click the button.... and put it in the 'condition' field so it might get noticed (as it appears this area is unaffected, thusfar).  

I've not had one sale since this trash started... but eBay will want their store rent anyway in a few days... Sheesh! This is not the selling platform I pay for... It's bad enough that other ads are hogging my space.  

Maybe when the clipboards behind closed doors notice the drop in sales, they will wake up - but until then - it might be too little - too late and thusly we sellers will suffer the consequences of their poor vision and inability to make truthful announcements of their intentions instead of blindsiding people like this as they change the rules in the middle of the game.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 80 of 195
latest reply

I agree!!!  Massive idiocy on the part of eBay!

Message 81 of 195
latest reply

We added  "Buyer's Responsibility: Read FULL ITEM DESCRIPTION" on the item specific box for our new listing.

The Button thing will waste seller's time more ond more for Answering Q and more Return.

Personally, why I've never ever buy fashion product from Amazon is thare is no any description in detail.

Message 82 of 195
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer

My apologies for coming in late on this thread.

Reason being, have no idea or just confused what the buzz about UNTIL

we're seeing that blue prompt "See full item description" in our listings 

AND on other merchants as well - on Sunday Jul 2nd.

No wonder when I checked with other merchants who have yet to encounter

this prompt - they too, are ?confused? over the issue.

Still, I have followed the instructions of one poster here, about clearing the

pc's cookies. I have just done that.  Back to before now for the listings. 

Full written description are in full view without that blue prompt. 

So are other merchants' site when I went in to check on their listings.

This latest episode is a "some see it, some don't. but, it does not mean it is not there ..."

To survive this, will add a "Please Read Full Item Description Before Check Out"

in the Item Specifics.

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with punches*

Message 83 of 195
latest reply

Sorry won't do any good to call. Ebay is like a stubborn mule.
Ebay sys NO ONE HAS CALLED _ outright lie just like they read from their cue cards,
Message 84 of 195
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
So very SAD that sellers are NOT listened to!!! 8 (
Message 85 of 195
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well said and I see an eBay law suit in the future with changing our personal wording.
Message 86 of 195
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@selsa84 wrote:

just called ebay and was told any one who is seeing there item descriptions being hidden needs to call customer servive asap. Also said that NO ONE has complained about this issue today and they are not experiencing problems. CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE

Then I wonder why every time someone brings this up on the Ebay For Business Facebook page they are told this is a buyer-side test and not everyone is seeing it and there is no opt out of it (even though some have gotten out by clearing cache, cookies, etc).

Well, I use chrome all of the time, and I haven't seen the 'See Fool Description" button at all ........................ BUT - I did today on a couple items that were clicked from a link in a sellers store to another item in the sellers store. 

The result was an incorrect part of the listing being shown(from a totally different listing, no less), then the See full description, which of course opens up over the listing.

However, viewing the sellers other items and clicking into them from there DOES show the entire description, and not the stupid button.

Way to go, ebay.

Absolutely Horrible I completely agree. As a seller, and as a buyer the listing details must be on the first page.
Message 88 of 195
latest reply

Such a bad idea, I'm convinced everyone at ebay is a complete idiot.
Message 89 of 195
latest reply

Most likely it is an issue where they are doubling the click per item... more page views = more advertising dollars

Message 90 of 195
latest reply