cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

notification delay from price drop

If you have watchers they get a notification of a price drop 5%+.

How long is the delay before they can get another price drop notification?

Been testing, been 2 days no notification.

Anyone know the delay ?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: notification delay from price drop

@robbie31415 wrote:

I know you love providing info, but you are wrong.

Thank you for your concern.  What I said was correct, but apparently as so many things on this site, things change rapidly.  I am however glad you have had success with your testing.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 30
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

I can confirm that eBay does send more than 1 email for watched price drops. Also more than one notification.

It appears eBay has it set for 7 day delay before you can retrigger.

Thanks for that info - appreciate the update @robbie31415 . Looks like eBay changed how it works since the last time we asked the reps on this board about it. Not all that surprising since it was a while ago. 🙂

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Thank you for this. I couldn't remember if people get notifications at 10% or 5% price drop -- I was leaning more to the 5% and looks like that's what you saw.  I was thinking about dropping my prices 5% every month to see what happens .. so I'm hoping that they get that notification each time. 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

"...The offers are never sent to more buyers than you have inventory in the listing."

That part sounds counter-intuitive to me. If that's the case and the seller had 100 viewers on an item, does that mean it's going to show up for 100 days in the "Send an offer" list, if nobody buys it each time?

I don't know the 411 on this one (never thought about it, actually) but as a seller I'd prefer a "first-come/first served" notice to the watchers. Whoever buys it first gets it. Of course if there were 5 of them in stock then the first 5 would get it, etc. , until sold out.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

So far I been producing the notification every week on same item with at least 5% drop.

So you should be good. 👍

The price drop notification also seems to appear if you view the item only and don't watch. So recent people who clicked should also see notification.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

@stetbooks wrote:

"...The offers are never sent to more buyers than you have inventory in the listing."

That part sounds counter-intuitive to me. If that's the case and the seller had 100 viewers on an item, does that mean it's going to show up for 100 days in the "Send an offer" list, if nobody buys it each time?

I don't know the 411 on this one (never thought about it, actually) but as a seller I'd prefer a "first-come/first served" notice to the watchers. Whoever buys it first gets it. Of course if there were 5 of them in stock then the first 5 would get it, etc. , until sold out.

What?  First we are talking about WATCHERs.  And if there are more watchers than there are items currently up for sale, the offer is only sent to the number of watchers equal to the number of items the seller has for sale.  If a seller has 3 items and 50 Watchers, are you saying you would prefer the offer was sent to all 50 watchers when you don't have the inventory to cover those sales if they happen?

Number of Watchers has NOTHING to do with how long an offer is good for.

After you send out a round of offers and they expire or get purchased, the item will appear back on your list of available listings to send offers on.  This will repeat unless the Watchers are too old and I'm not sure what that number is.

You would need to lobby Ebay to make that change to the programing.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

So far I been producing the notification every week on same item with at least 5% drop.

So you should be good. 👍

The price drop notification also seems to appear if you view the item only and don't watch. So recent people who clicked should also see notification.

Hey @robbie31415 . If what we were told in the past holds true, a buyer has to view an item a minimum of 3 times, or add to their watch list, or add to their cart. Any of those 3 actions is considered enough interest to trigger the alerts.

If you're still running your test, I'm curious to know if/when you stop getting notifications. I was reading something last week (I think in a help page? or on a settings page maybe?) that mentioned some kind of undefined limit about how many times eBay will alert buyers on the same item.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 22 of 30
latest reply

I'm going to verify that, but I believe that isn't true.

Majority of my inventory is 1 and I send offers and when I send an offer it tells me how many buyers got it. Almost every time it's more than 1. If it's based on inventory then it would be limited to 1.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Those of you saying eBay will send the same price drop notice and/or seller initiated offer to multiple interested buyers regardless of having only 1 item available are correct. There's even a message on the alert buyers receive saying the offer has been sent to multiple interested parties.

pricedrop-message.png

In the past we were told the notice will go to a max of 10 interested buyers at a time. Don't know if that holds true today.

GLORIOUS!

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@robbie31415 

Clearly I haven't had enough coffee today or something.  But you are right, I was wrong.  Guess I should take a break until the fog clears.  Thank you for catching that.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@robbie31415 

Clearly I haven't had enough coffee today or something.  But you are right, I was wrong.  Guess I should take a break until the fog clears.  Thank you for catching that.

@robbie31415 

I confused myself on this one.  I thought we were talking about offers to watchers.  I don't know why, the title is clear, just my head isn't this evening.  Still I was not correct and I appreciate you catching that.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

Yeah still testing. The main items I was testing sold, so that kinda messes up my testing.

Being able to see if it's limited to 10 would be a challenge lol.

Probably would require a lot of dummy accounts. Not sure eBay would be okay with making all those.

My next price drops are set for tomorrow so hoping I still get the notifications.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

I'll be honest with you, I'm really out of it today. Feels like I been experimenting with things I shouldn't be.

So don't mind me, I can really only see one post at a time right now, struggling to see multiple post context.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

Yeah still testing. The main items I was testing sold, so that kinda messes up my testing.

😂

Try testing with your underperforming, least desirable, longest tail items. Worst case scenario, you sell some dead weight before you finish the test. It's a win either way.

GLORIOUS!

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi @robbie31415 ,

I like your idea!

Good luck!

Message 30 of 30
latest reply