Did you mean: 

not making any money

paid 10 cents for my item.

I sold it for $5

Buyer paid $5.40 (8% tax)

eBay charged me  $0.70  +  $0.30

Bubble mailer $0.08

It cost  $3.72 to ship.

My profit before eBay took their fees was 11 times what I paid for the item.

How can eBay do this to me?

eBay took 91% of my profit, but at least by not promoting it I

left myself enough money to buy another $0.10 item.

Getting closer to that condo in Boca every day.

sarcasm.jpg

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: not making any money

To wit.   Not my selling ID.

Message 16 of 50
latest reply

Is there a sarcasm emoji? If not, aren't we in desperate need of one?

Message 17 of 50
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

This is not the kind of business acumen I'd be going out of my way to make public.

yet on eBay is is way to common.

That seems to be a problem.

And of course the whole topic is cynical to begin with:

The Original Poster knows what is what...

Message 18 of 50
latest reply

Was a light mist outside.  No gas to mow the lawn anyway. Could be clearing up the mess in the garage, but that is too depressing/overwhelming, so here I am on eBay being a nuisance, but it seems others have some spare time as well 😁

Message 19 of 50
latest reply

I have been around here for a long time. I have found that there is an ebb and a flow to all of it. Some things you lose money on and some things you make quite a bit. I have never actually made money because of the ebb and the flow. Hope this makes sense.

Message 20 of 50
latest reply

No, not really. The small one with rolling eyes would be about it.

I had to import the larger one. 

Perhaps I should have provided a disclaimer/caveat 🤔 to not waste the time of those wising to devote their time to help those with serious issues.

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

LOL, I just want to know where u get bubble mailers for .08 cents LOLOLOL

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

@collectfest wrote:

LOL, I just want to know where u get bubble mailers for .08 cents LOLOLOL

Ahh them ones:

they just came from the auction and way out of date: a bit sticky they be but a good price they were......

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

Well, on eBay of course.

Bought 500. Small ones. (for $5 items) (for $0.10 items)

It was back a bit, and I think I had one of those eBay coupons.

I'm getting old, and don't sell many $0.10 items anymore, (no profit in it since the selling costs have gotten so high) so it looks like I will be taking them with me when I go. Sure to have room for them in the condo.

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

I love this thread as I sit here procrastinating. A little levity among the people that are actually serious with similar posts is just what the doctor ordered. Thank you

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

Great post and not unlike several that we see every day here. Thanks. Needed the laugh.

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

Unfortunately for you. there are minor points you forgot: Ink/toner. paper, printer wear and electricity. I subtract a total of $.25 for those and my mailer.

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

Volume, man!   Volume!   You gotta think volume!   Haven't you heard that?   Sure, I lose 18 cents on every sale, too, but I make up for it in VOLUME!

🤡

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

assuming this isn’t a joke, if your going to have low margins or PPI then you have to do volume. I average $8-$12 PPI or 45%-50% margins but sell 15-25 items per day on average. Also, never never do free shipping. Always always always charge for shipping and make sure when you do that your charging enough to cover ALL costs associated with shipping the item. Do NOT charge the buyer the EXACT amount for shipping otherwise you will always lose money on shipping. 

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

Well, on eBay of course.

Bought 500. Small ones. (for $5 items) (for $0.10 items)

It was back a bit, and I think I had one of those eBay coupons.

I'm getting old, and don't sell many $0.10 items anymore, (no profit in it since the selling costs have gotten so high) so it looks like I will be taking them with me when I go. Sure to have room for them in the condo.

Don't give up that easy just take a look at your cost and business models and look for alternatives, some have already been suggested. Again not sure what you are selling but maybe bundle them 20, 40, ??  to a package (remember you bought them in a lot of 500), use calculated shipping and add in a handling fee to cover packing materials, ink, paper, etc. 

Message 30 of 50
latest reply