cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insured packages and USPS policies... what are they?

shipped a $300 insured package to Florida.

was left on the front porch today...

recently was a thread on this board about sig conf...

the thread went on about insured packages.

1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf...

a signature from anyone in the house.

was it a false statement?

the USPS really takes that much of a chance with packages now?

i mean the recipient is a friend of mine.

only bad thing that could happen is theft from the front porch.

just texted her, hope she gets home really soon.

what bothers me the same friend, recently had a package showing delivered when it never was...

her post master pretty much told her; too bad it shows delivered.

she was lucky.

the package was mis-delivered and the wrong recipient was honest enough to return it.

at the end she got it.

doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?

thanks...

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@wfloridafinds wrote:

.... 1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf... was it a false statement?

...doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?...

Yes that was a false statement. Obsolete, actually; the threshold was raised to $500 about a year ago.

If there's nobody home then the carrier is supposed to use his own discretion when deciding whether to leave a notice or the package itself, based on risk factors like theft and weather. The carrier naturally has no idea whether he's holding a package worth $300 or $5. In this case, it's probably the same carrier who mis-delivered that other package.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

@wfloridafinds wrote:

.... 1 poster had mentioned that the USPS requires a signature for anything insured for more than $200...

even without sig conf... was it a false statement?

...doesn't the USPS leave notices anymore?...

Yes that was a false statement. Obsolete, actually; the threshold was raised to $500 about a year ago.

If there's nobody home then the carrier is supposed to use his own discretion when deciding whether to leave a notice or the package itself, based on risk factors like theft and weather. The carrier naturally has no idea whether he's holding a package worth $300 or $5. In this case, it's probably the same carrier who mis-delivered that other package.

Message 2 of 54
latest reply

thanks for the info...

good to know...

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

To be clear, the signature required on insured packages of $500 or more is for the USPS' own records. It is not Signature Confirmation (SC) and the signature is not viewable on-line. You only need SC on sales of $750 or more. Insuring your shipment and requiring a signature at delivery time are two different things.

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

The carrier naturally has no idea whether he's holding a package worth $300 or $5.

One would think that when he scans the package, it could/would/should reveal the insured value.

Message 5 of 54
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

To be clear, the signature required on insured packages of $500 or more is for the USPS' own records. It is not Signature Confirmation (SC) and the signature is not viewable on-line. You only need SC on sales of $750 or more. Insuring your shipment and requiring a signature at delivery time are two different things.

yep got all that...

but it means the package would be handed to a live person (hopefully at the right address)...

not just left on the front porch...

i mean my friend had an issue with a package delivered to the wrong address.

she got it at the end...

but her post master told her; too bad it shows delivered.

so the same thing would happen to a package left on a front porch (and stolen).

never mind the $300 insurance.

a postmaster would say; too bad, it's been delivered on the front porch...

anyway my friend got the package.

so it all ends well...

but what happened to the days when the USPS left notices?

what i find hilarious is some sellers have an issue with PO Boxes...

seems to me PO Boxes are the safest places to ship to...

anyway thanks for all the help...

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

The carrier naturally has no idea whether he's holding a package worth $300 or $5.

One would think that when he scans the package, it could/would/should reveal the insured value.

@lja440 can probably tell us for sure, but I think the only clue the carrier gets when making a Delivered scan is whether they need to collect a signature. That would tell them whether the insured value is above or below $500.

Message 7 of 54
latest reply

In some places, leaving packages on the front porch is perfectly normal.  It is around here; I've had packages worth over $200 delivered on my front porch and never worried about it because package theft has never been a problem in my neighborhood.  The carriers here will just leave the stuff on your porch unless you specifically instruct them otherwise.

Message 8 of 54
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

In some places, leaving packages on the front porch is perfectly normal.  It is around here; I've had packages worth over $200 delivered on my front porch and never worried about it because package theft has never been a problem in my neighborhood.  The carriers here will just leave the stuff on your porch unless you specifically instruct them otherwise.

anyway...

got the answer to my question and my friend got the package.

so everything is good...

but ur missing the point.

it is about the fact that the USPS will do nothing if it says delivered when it fact it was mis-delivered or stolen.

mentioned it in my earlier reply.

the place where my friend lives is not 1 of the places u talk about...

it was a nice area 40 years ago when she bought her house.

nowadays it is 1 of the worst area in FM FL...

i mean i don't have a problem with such practice.

as long as the USPS covers the cost of the insured item if something goes wrong.

but doubt it...

in any case it is all good now...

Message 9 of 54
latest reply

USPS is not responsible for thieves stealing packages. Once it is delivered it is the responsibility of the homeowner. If your friend lives in a crime area I would suggest telling them to contact their local PO and tell them to not leave packages and instead leave a notice for pickup, It's a common sense thing.

Message 10 of 54
latest reply

@runaround1111 wrote:

USPS is not responsible for thieves stealing packages. Once it is delivered it is the responsibility of the homeowner. If your friend lives in a crime area I would suggest telling them to contact their local PO and tell them to not leave packages and instead leave a notice for pickup, It's a common sense thing.

u know what my question has been replied to, already...

and i don't need a lecture...

what i said earlier was just an opinion/statement.

no amount of arguing would change my mind/opinion.

not we have the right to disagree, but...

it is the carrier's choice to leave a package unattended on a front porch, not mine and not my friend....

my opinion is (which is not for debate for i can sense from this thread it would be an endless chat);

common sense would be to leave a notice.

the mail delivery people there, know very well what kind of neighborhood it is.

i paid close to $20 to have this package shipped and delivered but NOT to be left on a front porch.

if a package doesn't fit in the mail box (and this one didn't) they should leave a notice, period.

PS; my friend got the package as i mentioned earlier so it is all good.

doesn't mean i have to agree with such practices...

Message 11 of 54
latest reply

I was not arguing or lecturing, just replying to a question you brought forward to the community. You can agree or disagree but no need to be rude,.

You also don't have to agree with the PO practices, but i doubt they will change because you don't agree. Just tell your friend to call the PO and they will keep a note saying to not leave packages for thieves and instead leave a note for pickup.

Message 12 of 54
latest reply

@runaround1111 wrote:

I was not arguing or lecturing, just replying to a question you brought forward to the community. You can agree or disagree but no need to be rude,.

You also don't have to agree with the PO practices, but i doubt they will change because you don't agree. Just tell your friend to call the PO and they will keep a note saying to not leave packages for thieves and instead leave a note for pickup.

actually it was not the question of my thread...

that question was already answered and i picked it as a solution.

perhaps u could re-read my OP?...

u just replied/commented on an opinion i gave...

and u keep arguing about it...

so i will just let it go...

as for being rude you are the one that insinuated my friend had no common sense.

so why don't we leave it at that...

have a good night...

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

The answered you approved of was the PO can leave a package or leave a note. It's up to them "unless" you tell them specifically what you prefer. Just like the answer I gave to you question. Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

you've had the last word...

why don't we leave it at that now?...

Message 15 of 54
latest reply