cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay return and MBG policies

Over a week ago, I shipped an item and it was at the buyer's door in less than 48hrs.  Unfortunately, the USPS could not complete the delivery and marked the package as "no access" in the tracking record.  Today the buyer opens a INR case.  I respond by giving the tracking number and pointing out the no access record.  Further suggest contacting the local post office, wich hopefully still has the package.  Buyer refuses to do anything and wants a full refund.  eBay is already suggesting I give the full refund.  I know if I bring it to eBay's attention, that the package is most likely available for pick up at the PO, I'll be subjected to losing the FVFs when they rule in the buyer's favor.  Since eBay has always ruled in the buyers favor with me, even in cases of outright fraud, I hesitate to ask eBay to step in and force the buyer to go pick up his package.  I'm most likely already out my shipping cost and the item and there isn't a thing I can do as a seller.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: ebay return and MBG policies

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

if he calls the P.O. and gets the package forewarded back to him and then refund the buyer when he gets it back. My concern here is that it seems like from what poster stated is that the rep told him to refund before he got the package back.

Even if the OP poster gets his package back, I imagine he would still be out of the shipping costs!  and I am certain he will not be able to reuse the box or bubble mailer either.  I do wonder if eBay would give him back his FVF's?

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

Yes, I did upload the tracking # by clicking on the appopriate link on the case detail page.  That was in addition to telling the buyer to check the tracking information on the item detail page to see that the PO attempted to deliver the package on 5/17 and failed to do so because of "no access."

This morning, on the recommendation of my local PO, I filed an online missing mail request, which allowed me to have the package returned to me if found.  I was told that would stop the buyer from picking it up.  I did not really want to do that, as I'd rather get the item to them and put this behind me.  But their refusal to respond left me with little choice.  I'm going to call eBay CS, do what it takes to get a rep in the USA, and ask for a hold to be put on the 4 day time limit before the buyer can ask eBay to step in.  Hopefully the PO finds the package soon and returns it to me.  I will then refund the buyer's money and consider it a lesson learned.

Thanks for all the suffestions from everyone.  If nothing else, I have learned that it's a good idea to watch the tracking of all the items I ship, just in case this happens again.  At least then I can be a little proactive before the buyer can file an INR complaint.

Message 47 of 64
latest reply

@heppsusedtools wrote:

I was told to either provide the buyer a tracking number or a refund. The tracking number has been on the detail page since I shipped. I still provided it again. I was also told that if I did not refund the buyer's money and he asked eBay to step in, I'd lose my FVFs. The PO in question is in NYC. I spent almost an hour on the phone today, most of the time on hold, and got nowhere. All they would tell me is that according to the tracking, there was no access on the 17th. I'm going to talk to the PO from which I shipped tomorrow. Not very hopeful but who knows.

I've dealt with eBay enough to have a good idea how this will turn out. Either I refund the buyer before he ask ebay to step in, or I end up not only refunding the purchase price & shipping but losing the FVFs. If I ever get the item back is a **bleep** shoot.

Having been taken out of hundreds of dollars by dishonest buyers and scammers, while eBay helps them in the theft, the last sentence was mild compared to what should have been said. These sort of shenanigans are now happening with roughly 10% of my items. I no longer offer any shipping on heavier or expensive items. If it continues, I might have to only offer local pick up and might as well move over to FB marketplace.

I think it is so wrong to "twist" sellers arms to refund the buyers before eBay refund it  with the penalty of charging the seller FVF.  I am certain some people are thinking this is sort of Mafia tactic!

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I would call over and over until I got a rep with all this info. This is YOUR MONEY that is being wasted because this buyer will not cooperate.

Exactly. This should be considered as delivered.

As soon as the buyer gets the refund, he will pick it up at the post office.

You need to get a real rep. I would also invoke the blues on this thread.

@heppsusedtools  Penguins asked if you actually provided the tracking number "into the case details" or just through a message ~ can you verify which?

According to the MBG:

Generally, the buyer is responsible for accepting the item when it arrives. If the buyer refuses delivery, their claim is not eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Although the MBG doesn't specifically say that "no access" would be cause for the buyer to be ineligible for the MBG, the post office did make an attempt at delivery which, imo, puts the cause of non delivery on the buyer, as does refusing delivery.

It doesn't look like anyone has done an @Anonymous ~ if he doesn't respond before 1:00  p.m., this situation could/should be brought up on the Wed. Chat.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 49 of 64
latest reply

@heppsusedtools wrote:

I checked the tracking on the USPS site and the last entry is the same as shown on eBay tracking - May 17 "no access."

I don't follow tracking on my items and was not aware that the package had not been delivered until contacted by eBay about either providing a tracking number or a refund. Had I known, I would have been trying to track it down. The buyer has pretty much gone silent and won't answer my attempts to contact them. I can sort of understand, as it's been over a week and he has not received his purchase. At this point, I guess he just wants his money back.

This comes on the heels of a buyer who returned a 40 year old stereo receiver last week, as INAD. I got it back with a number of internal parts missing. Parts that required de-soldering to remove. eBay refunded the buyers money, I paid almost $100 in shipping, and when I reported the buyer, eBay thanked me by keeping almost $25 in FVF, because they found in the buyer's favor.

I am not a "bad" seller. I do my best to provide items to buyers at a decent price, well packaged, and shipped quickly. My feedback is filled with the praises of happy buyers.  Yet eBay consistently treats me like I'm the one being dishonest.  

I'm a bit POed, a whole lot frustrated, and just about done with eBay's shenanigans. This use to he an enjoyable thing. I now cringe when I see a message or email from eBay.

I wonder if it's a scam from the buyer.  I had an international buyer who claimed the package has not been delivered, knowing well that I only have tracking in the USA and no tracking on the final destination part of the  delivery.  His account is a new account, but he manipulated the MBG like a pro.  There was no way my international buyer was new using eBay's MBG.  I am certain he had another account he uses or used on eBay.  Soooooo... I'm wondering if this is another case of the buyer trying to get the item for free by not doing everything he can to get the package from the post office.  It could be that as soon as the buyer gets his refund from the seller, he will go to the post office and pick it up!

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

Yes, I did update the tracking number to the case page.  I also mentioned it in a message to the buyer.  It has been on the item detail page since about 15 minutes after he paid.  

To be honest, I don't really think the buyer is a scammer.  I do believe he doesn't want to be bothered to go collect his package from the PO and just wants his money back.  Living in NYC, a trrip to the PO might not be as simple as it is way out here in the woods of Pennsyltucky.  I've checked his feedback and the feedback he's left for others, and nothing would suggest to me that he's a repeat abuser of eBay's return and moneyback gaurantee policies.  Granted, eBay makes it difficult for sellers to flag problem buyers, but you can generally get a sense for those who might be less than honest.

Message 51 of 64
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey everyone,

Happy to clarify that if there is a delivery attempt to the buyer's address they provided at checkout, the seller would be protected in an item not received case. The only exceptions would be a) damage in transit where the buyer cannot safely accept the item and the shipper confirms damage b) additional postage due to the buyer and c) the seller instructs the buyer to refuse the package. When "No Access" is recorded, it generally indicates the buyer can arrange pickup with the shipper, but we would be able to protect a seller right away. Hope this helps clear things up!

Message 52 of 64
latest reply

Hi @Anonymous, 

When "No Access" is recorded, it generally indicates the buyer can arrange pickup with the shipper, but we would be able to protect a seller right away.

Are you sure that's the case here? Reason I ask is that the buyer has opened an Item Not Received case, which as you know should close automatically if the seller uploads a tracking number showing a Delivered status in the buyer's City and ZIP. Obviously that hasn't happened, and if the case times out, which it appears it is about to do, then eBay will refund the buyer and the seller will get a defect, correct?

At minimum, should the seller be requesting a manual intervention to get the INR closed now, based on your explanation of how "No Access" is officially interpreted? (The buyer has shown no inclination to go and collect it, but the seller should not be penalized for that.)

Message 53 of 64
latest reply

I am happy to report that eBay has just closed the case in my favor, based on the attempt to deliver the package last week.  

If the USPS ends up returning the package to me, I will certainly refund the buyer's purchase price.  As I mentioned somewhere above, I'm not a bad seller and I do try to treat honest buyers the best as I can.  Don't know if trition had an influence, or if it just took the eBay system this long to check the tracking I provided through the case page.  Either way, it looks like things have turned out for the best.

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

If I am not mistaken NYC was mentioned as I final destination? And “no access”? Ones, I dealt with a buyer from Brooklyn whose purchase was over $300. Before I send his purchase I Google a destination address I found that it was some business which had been closed for at least a couple of years. I called eBay and PP and notified them about possible fraud attempt. After that I contacted the buyer and told that the address were he wanted the purchase to be delivered is a closed business and I know that for a fact and asked him to be provided with a legit address.

It is always a good idea to Google (Google Maps) the buyer’s address, so you will be familiar with a final destination location (if there is a fence over which your package wanted to be thrown or not, or porch, or front yard etc, etc… and if this neighborhood is save in general). It takes a couple minutes but, perhaps, will help to avoid a lot of troubles.

Good luck.

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

Look for a Paypal case for INR being opened very soon.  That is usually what happens when ebay closes a case for the seller.  And since ebay and paypal are 'seperate' companies now, there is nothing ebay can or will do to help you.

(*Bleep*)
Message 56 of 64
latest reply

I am..............holding my breath!!!

To be fair, I just got off the phone with ebay to close a case for SNAD where the buyer did not return ('nother account) within stated time frame. Sparing the details, case was closed and Paypal funds released within mins of my request. The last thing discussed was claim then opened in Paypal...

ebay CSR explained, basically, no, a claim could not be opened as one was already processed through ebay. And vice versa.

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!!! We'll see what happens. As much, uh, hmmmm, "constructive critisms" I post about ebay this, ebay that, thought maybe a sense of fair play might be appropriate.

Sharp tongued, thinking outside the box, pushing the envelop to the extreme, with a tiny smidgen of fair play thrown in for good measure..........

One in a row?

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

retros1 wrote:

Look for a Paypal case for INR being opened very soon. That is usually what happens when ebay closes a case for the seller. And since ebay and paypal are 'seperate' companies now, there is nothing ebay can or will do to help you.

Please, do not worry about that. If you will be able to win this case on eBay – it will be much easier on PP. Just provide them with the tracking number and the copy of that email you got from trinton@ebay
Sincerely,

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@a_c_green wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, 

When "No Access" is recorded, it generally indicates the buyer can arrange pickup with the shipper, but we would be able to protect a seller right away.

Are you sure that's the case here? Reason I ask is that the buyer has opened an Item Not Received case, which as you know should close automatically if the seller uploads a tracking number showing a Delivered status in the buyer's City and ZIP. Obviously that hasn't happened, and if the case times out, which it appears it is about to do, then eBay will refund the buyer and the seller will get a defect, correct?

At minimum, should the seller be requesting a manual intervention to get the INR closed now, based on your explanation of how "No Access" is officially interpreted? (The buyer has shown no inclination to go and collect it, but the seller should not be penalized for that.)

An item not received case will not automatically be closed when a seller provides a tracking number. There are sellers that send out replacements or offer refunds even when tracking confirms delivery, so we won't automatically close these cases. If customer service reviews this case, we would close it for the seller, but our system does not proactively take this action. 

Message 59 of 64
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@retrose1 wrote:

Look for a Paypal case for INR being opened very soon.  That is usually what happens when ebay closes a case for the seller.  And since ebay and paypal are 'seperate' companies now, there is nothing ebay can or will do to help you.

Want to step in and clarify that if a case is escalated to eBay for a decision, the buyer would not have the option of going to PayPal to pursue another case. While are separate companies, PayPal can see that an investigation has already occured on our end and a decision was made.

Message 60 of 64
latest reply