cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay return and MBG policies

Over a week ago, I shipped an item and it was at the buyer's door in less than 48hrs.  Unfortunately, the USPS could not complete the delivery and marked the package as "no access" in the tracking record.  Today the buyer opens a INR case.  I respond by giving the tracking number and pointing out the no access record.  Further suggest contacting the local post office, wich hopefully still has the package.  Buyer refuses to do anything and wants a full refund.  eBay is already suggesting I give the full refund.  I know if I bring it to eBay's attention, that the package is most likely available for pick up at the PO, I'll be subjected to losing the FVFs when they rule in the buyer's favor.  Since eBay has always ruled in the buyers favor with me, even in cases of outright fraud, I hesitate to ask eBay to step in and force the buyer to go pick up his package.  I'm most likely already out my shipping cost and the item and there isn't a thing I can do as a seller.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: ebay return and MBG policies

You need the package back ASAP, or the "customer" will pick it up, then get their refund too. Talking to slumdog millionaire on the telephone is apparently pointless.

Message 31 of 64
latest reply

AND  : Block them

Message 32 of 64
latest reply

@heppsusedtools wrote:

Over a week ago, I shipped an item and it was at the buyer's door in less than 48hrs.  Unfortunately, the USPS could not complete the delivery and marked the package as "no access" in the tracking record.  Today the buyer opens a INR case.  I respond by giving the tracking number and pointing out the no access record.  Further suggest contacting the local post office, wich hopefully still has the package.  Buyer refuses to do anything and wants a full refund.  eBay is already suggesting I give the full refund.  I know if I bring it to eBay's attention, that the package is most likely available for pick up at the PO, I'll be subjected to losing the FVFs when they rule in the buyer's favor.  Since eBay has always ruled in the buyers favor with me, even in cases of outright fraud, I hesitate to ask eBay to step in and force the buyer to go pick up his package.  I'm most likely already out my shipping cost and the item and there isn't a thing I can do as a seller.

This buyer is being unfair!  The buyer has the tracking information and, by checking the tracking information, the buyer is aware that USPS has tried to and is trying to deliver the package:  the buyer has a responsibility to try to obtain the package from the Post Office.  It is unreasonable for the buyer to refuse "to do anything and want a full refund".  In case you are wondering, I am a buyer, not a seller, and I ALWAYS follow the tracking for my purchases:  if my package was listed as undeliverable then I would go directly to the Post Office to obtain my package -- non-delivery is not an option.

You need to contact eBay customer service and clearly explain that the buyer is not doing her/his share of the process -- picking up the package or arranging for delivery.  It would be helpful if you contact USPS to inquire when the next delivery attempt will be made:  you should request email documentation of this so that you can provide the tracking information with initial delivery attempt and the subsequent USPS delivery plan to eBay customer service.  This buyer is wasting the shipping fee that you paid, and it is unreasonable for this buyer to make no attempt to pick up the item(s) for which (s)he paid and supposedly wants.

When this transaction has been completed, you should block this buyer so that you do not have to endure a similar situation again in the future.

Message 33 of 64
latest reply

Start the forewarding process now by going to the USPS website. Our package was held up in Jacksonville, Fla, not as big of a P.O. as in NY. I still had to call several times and did get a Postal worker there. She actaually held the package there in front after retrieving it and then I called the buyer and they went to pick it up. In this case, since you cannot get a worker to fiin the package, recall it online.

Message 34 of 64
latest reply

I have to say that I would do whatever necessary to help the buyer locate the package, but this extreme hoop jumping terrible experience for this seller is in the hands of Ebay. To what extent they will uphold this happy happy buyer policy at the expense of a sellers peace of mind and livelihood is completely crazy.

Message 35 of 64
latest reply

I would call over and over until I got a rep with all this info. This is YOUR MONEY that is being wasted because this buyer will not cooperate.

Message 36 of 64
latest reply

OP, when you call ebay, you can't just talk to any rep that answers the phone - you have to talk to one in America.  So if you get a rep that has any sort of accent, just thank them and hang up and keep trying until you get one that doesn't.  The outsourced reps can not help, but will say anything to get you off the phone.  I got one recently that could not read English.   And most of the time, their advise is the worst thing a seller can do.  I believe that the only training that the outsourced get is - make sure the seller refunds the buyer.

When you get a rep in America, have them take a look at the tracking and put an extension/hold on the time limit for the case to give the PO time to deliver the package.  They have done it for me a few times without question once they see that there is a package and the PO is attempting to deliver and the problem is on the buyers end.

Then if I were you, I would make a personal trip down to your PO branch and file a recall package with them and have the postmaster call their branch to notify them not to deliver it and to check to see if it is still there.  The recall costs around $10. 

Check the buyers feedback and the feedback left for others to see if there is a pattern of nondelivery or refunds.  It would not surprise me to find out that they regularly block the delivery box - with dogs or other ways and then files INR and gets refunded and then picks up their freebies.  A variation is a common scam Internationally that is referred to as customs hangers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 37 of 64
latest reply

As stated - go to the USPS site and put in for tracking updates - both past and present on the package so you have confirmation of the attempted delivery - call the buyer's PO and see where the package is - see if a notice was left and if they've had other nondeliverable packages - call US Ebay CS again  and again and ask for an extension having them see the tracking information.

The problems you are experiencing can be handled - with the last issue - you could have filed mail fraud, IC3 and a police report and gotten your money refunded to you as a courtesy refund by Ebay - I'm sure that was suggested but that you didn't follow through. This is the risk we take selling here - don't sell anything you can't afford to lose - but there are ways to handle these situations if you listen to the advice given.

Message 38 of 64
latest reply

<<I was told to either provide the buyer a tracking number or a refund. The tracking number has been on the detail page since I shipped>>

@heppsusedtools

Did you upload tracking into the case?

That's what the CS means by "provide a tracking number".

The case can't see the order ... dumb, yes, but true. You have to enter the tracking into the case.

Also ... I have one right now "undeliverable as addressed" ... If you look at the eBay Order Details, the status is "delivered". eBay considers a delivery attempt as delivered.

Screenshot_20170524-060314.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 39 of 64
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I would call over and over until I got a rep with all this info. This is YOUR MONEY that is being wasted because this buyer will not cooperate.

Exactly. This should be considered as delivered.

As soon as the buyer gets the refund, he will pick it up at the post office.

You need to get a real rep. I would also invoke the blues on this thread.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

@d-k_treasures

OP made a statement (see my post above) that makes me think that they have not uploaded the tracking into the case.

The Order Details on OP's case should look like the same as mine. Any delivery attempt=delivered as far as eBay is concerned.

But they have to upload the tracking into the case ...

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 41 of 64
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

@d-k_treasures

OP made a statement (see my post above) that makes me think that they have not uploaded the tracking into the case.

The Order Details on OP's case should look like the same as mine. Any delivery attempt=delivered as far as eBay is concerned.

But they have to upload the tracking into the case ...

But they did say this, so I assumed that they did enter the tracking # in the case - unless they just stuck it in the message and not the spot for the tracking #:

I respond [to the case] by giving the tracking number and pointing out the no access record.

And yes, you are right - it should look like yours. Any delivery attempt should be considered delivered.

Retrose brought up a very important point. The cs reps not in the states cannot seem to help in these situations as well as the US reps. Why? I do not know. 

Message 43 of 64
latest reply

To end this on a comic/tragic note, Ebay should add in their seller responsibilities that they are to arrange airfare to whatever state their packages are being held in order to collect them and transport them to their customer in order to avoid FVF charges, defects and must fly to San Jose for a paddling from a nun at the Capistrano Mission. 

Message 44 of 64
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

What? the rep told you that you should refund the buyer immediately due to buyer refusing to pick it up.  If that is correct you better be calling the P.O. and find the package and have it forewarded back to you before you agree to what the rep suggested. Geez, what the heck where they thinking.

Reps from eBay and Paypal always suggest you refund the buyer their money in it's entirety.  They said it's for customer satisfaction!  I've been told that many times whenever I talked to the reps about anything.  I've always tempted to say "what about selllers satisfaction?"... but I've learned to bite my tong and just chalk it up to "cost of doing business" because no matter what the truth is, the seller gets the short end of the straw!

Message 45 of 64
latest reply