cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay "buyers" are precisely why I'm closing my store in 2023

A "buyer" asks for me to send additional photos for a listing.  I'm hesitant.  At first, I thought it was because the specific photos being requested are already present in the listing.   But then I realized it was because this is ebay and I already knew from plenty of past experiences that this would ultimately wind up being a complete waste of my time. 

But, I do my professional duty and take the photos and send them.  Then I get a reply from the "buyer".  The "buyer" then asks for a completely different set of specific photos because he/she asked for the incorrect specific photos he/she wanted in the first email by mistake.  So I take the second set of photos and attach them to another reply.  This is all occurring on Thanksgiving morning by the way.

Then I get another set of replies from the "buyer".  First, can we complete the sale on instagram.  Second, then tries to renegotiate the price to a lower one on a listing that has no best offer option available and a listing description that specifically states all prices are firm.  I did not reply to either message of these final messages from the "buyer".  

I was right in the first place.   Total waste of my time.  Because this is ebay.  Because this is precisely what I get from "buyers" like this on ebay.  All too often.  I never encounter any of this type of nonsense anywhere else I sell.  Only on ebay.

So, while I wasted my time as I knew I would, I am thankful on this Thanksgiving that I am still on track to be completely gone from ebay in 2023. 

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: ebay "buyers" are precisely why I'm closing my store in 2023

@eiketsu wrote:

<snip>

3) Stalking is unwanted and/or repeated surveillance by an individual or group toward another person.

4) Since I am still paying seller fees to ebay, I will now contact seller services and see if the seller representative finds you surveilling me and my store months after a post, and when I never replied to your previous message either, to be appropriate or not.

I'm confused as to why you feel this was inappropriate. That person simply replied to your post with a question. That's the purpose of this forum, someone asks a question and others reply. You are not obligated to respond to every person who posts on a public forum. For those posts which do not resonate with you, simply ignore them. Best of luck to you....

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@eiketsu wrote:

2) Last time I checked, 2023 has 12 months in it, just like every other year.  February is month #2 out of 12, so 10 months still remain.

[Silliness about surveillance deleted]

For your threat to end your listings you actually have only about 4 months still remaining. In one of your past complaints you stated 'by mid-2023 100% of my selling activity will be off ebay'

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ebay-s-solution-for-the-new-listing-tool-problems-is-for-me-to...

Your feedback looks fine but if you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater that is your prerogative.

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

@eiketsu wrote:

1) I haven't posted any new listings in 2023.

2) Last time I checked, 2023 has 12 months in it, just like every other year.  February is month #2 out of 12, so 10 months still remain.

3) Stalking is unwanted and/or repeated surveillance by an individual or group toward another person.

4) Since I am still paying seller fees to ebay, I will now contact seller services and see if the seller representative finds you surveilling me and my store months after a post, and when I never replied to your previous message either, to be appropriate or not.

I'm not sure if you'll get much satisfaction from CS - anyone can look at anyone else's listings and comment on them if they so wish.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 33 of 53
latest reply

@eiketsu wrote:

1) I haven't posted any new listings in 2023.

@eiketsu   Ohhh! So sorry u thought me congratulating u for finding enough positiveness on eBay after all your negative comments toward it was stalking  LOL  I thought u found some good here after all. I guess not 🤔

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

Keep it up.....

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

@eiketsu wrote:

Keep it up.....

ok @eiketsu  I'm done, I thought u were going into a positive direction re ebay when I saw u were still selling.

Good Luck with your future and I hope u make lots of sales while u r still here.

😊

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

I think that I pretty much covered it. LOL

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

I haven't bothered posting in a few months. It's a waste of my rime and energy. There are many other platforms to sell on. 

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

Love when I'm asked for better photos when the image is scanned & cannot get any better.  lol

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

@liszemguli0   sorry, why r u telling me this? i did not post anything to u 😶

Message 40 of 53
latest reply

@eiketsu wrote:

I am thankful on this Thanksgiving that I am still on track to be completely gone from ebay in 2023. 

Looks like the OP changed their mind. Still have 104 listing up for 2023.

Message 41 of 53
latest reply

A 'Scan' can be done at many different levels (dpi) so asking for 'better' is NOT abnormal. 

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

It is when it is a sports card & all of the details on it are clear.

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

If these photos the buyer requested are necessary for someone to figure out the condition of the item or what type of item then I could understand why they were requested and you should already have put them in your listing with a description.  After you sent the photos, you should only negotiate price and offers through eBay and not even consider what the buyer was saying.  No big deal, it happens to sellers all the time. 

Message 44 of 53
latest reply

Offering a return policy attracted more scammers in the 4 months I did it than in the entirety of my 23 ebay career. I still do returns if it's an appropriate situation with solid communication, but never advertise it. The amount ridiculous Amazon mentality we got was beyond absurd, we're not walmart or a loan company.

Message 45 of 53
latest reply