cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay sided with a SCAMMER! eBay hits a NEW LOW! What is going on????

Dear fellow eBay Sellers,

Buyer wanted us to send to an UNVERIFIED ADDRESS after she bought it. We kindly told her about eBay's rules and policies and refunded her and asked to  simply change her address to the one she wanted us to send it to.  She was RUDE and COMBATIVE. Left negative feedback. eBay sided with her and won't remove the bad feedback. What is going on here? We followed the rules that eBay set up and they simply don't care about sellers. How many other sellers did this person do this to? Sales are already down this year and they keep pushing the sellers down? See negative feedback below.  She lied about so much...  Any other recourse? Does calling work? We reported her too. 

Past month

Verified purchase

The seller refused to send a gift item to an address that was not mine. The seller said that was eBay's policy. That does not sound like a big ask in my opinion and I have a hard time believing a person cannot order a gift for someone and have it sent to their address. I found this seller to not only being negative but ignorant as well. Stay away. If I could leave a review with no stars that would be my preference. Consider these minus stars.

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: eBay sided with a SCAMMER! eBay hits a NEW LOW! What is going on????

That's not true at all.

The shipping address almost never requires to be the same as the billing address associated with payment.

Thats crazy.

Some small stores may require it, I have it turned on for my shopify store, but no major online store has this requirement.

Message 46 of 60
latest reply

next time report it to ebay immediately also if this was a scam you need to look at her feedback left for others. i caught a buyer leaving nearly the identical negative feedback for every purchase. it was a blatant attempt to obtain a partial or full refund neither of which I was about to do. i asked the rep to look at his feedback asking how is it possible that every purchase is an issue? how it is possible he only leaves a positive when a seller caves in & refunds him. an obvious scammer the feedback was removed his account suspended

Message 47 of 60
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

I thought if a seller cancelled with "problem with Buyers address", the buyer could not leave feedback.

I guess that is not the case?

Anyone?

Not too long ago it was they can leave feedback but ebay will automatically remove it within 24 hours, at least that was the case last I heard, when cancelled for reason "buyer asked / problem with address." And just to be clear when I say automatically I mean the feedback would disappear all on its own without any further interaction.

Message 48 of 60
latest reply

The question here is this:

Was the address requested by the buyer something OTHER than the address that would show when purchasing / printing the label through the ebay system? Specifically did this buyer MESSAGE the seller ASKING that the item be sent to another address, because the seller can really only send the item to the address provided at time of payment. This address however that was provided, if it was provided, can be any address of the buyer's choice.

So what is unclear here is how exactly did this buyer make the request?

I also find it odd that the negative feedback stuck.

I suppose it depends on the reason the seller used for cancellation?

Used to be a buyer could leave negative feedback but ebay would remove it without even the seller having to do anything, within 24 hours it would be gone, automatically. This however was only the case for sellers having used reason "buyer asked / problem with buyer's address."

Also of note, many sellers abused this reason "buyer asked / problem with buyer's address" to cancel buyer orders in the past when in fact sellers were out of stock, and I can go into a long story over this however it doesn't pertain to this thread so I won't.

So, what exactly was the reason used for cancellation?

Message 49 of 60
latest reply

There are phone reps, but the service is sub-contracted, the workers are not paid by eBay, and they are notoriously under trained.

The reps on social media are eBay employees, better trained, and have some authority.

But they always start with a written "Chat".

This is a feature, not a bug.

First, it gives the member a chance to write out, proofread, and correct their complaint. This is difficult to do extemporaneously on the phone.

Then the rep has a chance to read and decide what the actual complaint is.

Just as we posters often have to ask several times to learn the full story. Dates, prices, paid or not paid, returned, refunded, chargeback, wrong colour or wrong item.  Upset leads to vagueness.

Then the rep can research and come up with the best answer.

Which may not be the one the member wants.

The Rolling Stones had a song about that.

And the Chat reps will set up a phone call eventually if necessary, but they call the member.

And of course, the usual warning that if you find a number online, it is probably a scam.

Message 50 of 60
latest reply

I have shipped many times to a different address as requested by buyer after payment, without any problems. The eBay shipping module even allows for address change to be made when buying label!

Message 51 of 60
latest reply

Glad to hear you've not encountered any issues with this.  Hope you never run into a situation where a completely different person, after you have been paid, messages you to change the address, you happily comply and then discover, when the real buyer opens a case, that the request to change the shipping address did not come from the actual buyer.  

Message 52 of 60
latest reply

This is a shame. On every level - this is ebay's fault and lack of programming and responding to the needs of its customer base. 

1st off- it is industry standard to be able to request an address change after a purchase- we do it all the time on amazon- send gifts. we buy things for aging parents that do not use the internet, we send anniversary gifts and baby shower gifts etc.  There is no excuse that ebay is 10 years BEHIND industry standard on a simple programming feature.

2nd- ebay's AI generated "we hate sellers" attitude that buys win every case and that feedback cannot be removed for any reason is ridiculous

3rd- ebay does not even follow its own policies 70% of the time. Buyer made a request that is against ebay policy and then retaliated with bad feedback when sellers follows said policy?????? really ebay- a company with 0 common sense.

How hard would it be to make it so you can change the address after a purchase? or at least back up your sellers when they follow ebay policy?

Message 53 of 60
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

How hard would it be to make it so you can change the address after a purchase?

Huh? Of course you can change the address after a purchase. The Edit link is right there on the Shipping form, and has been there for years.

The key detail to be aware of is that if you change the address received with the payment (which, again, you are perfectly able to do), the buyer can file an Item Not Received claim if the package is not shown as delivered to the City and ZIP of the address received with the payment. If you the seller are fooled by a scammer into redirecting the package somewhere else, you will lose the INR claim.

If you're willing to take that risk, then the Shipping is (and AFAIK always has been) able to let you change the address after a purchase.

Message 54 of 60
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Glad to hear you've not encountered any issues with this.  Hope you never run into a situation where a completely different person, after you have been paid, messages you to change the address, you happily comply and then discover, when the real buyer opens a case, that the request to change the shipping address did not come from the actual buyer.  

Yes, or the buyer is the same person perpetrating a scam but I do agree that sellers should always double-check to see if the message ID is the same as the buyer's ID.
On another note... Wow they just don't quit with this nonsense.

Message 55 of 60
latest reply

Not sure if I've mentioned this but replies to a feedback do not stop it from being removed, if it's removable.

And you still have to go through the right channels, that said I strongly encourage and advise every seller to remain courteous and professional in any replies and please leave emotion out of it but... I've had feedback removed where I've left a reply so no, that is not the reason it isn't being removed (thou granted I am sure a terrible reply doesn't help).

Message 56 of 60
latest reply

I recently had someone ask me to do this, and the annoying part is that eBay won't let me change the address. I ended up just hand-writing out the new label and took a hit to late/non updated tracking because I was annoyed by it and couldn't process a label through eBay.

So for everyone saying no big deal, eBay makes it harder to do than you'd expect when a purchase is already made to the original address.

Message 57 of 60
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

How/where is the buyer branded a "professional scammer"?

The seller's feedback reply calls the buyer that.

Message 58 of 60
latest reply

@tdl_collectibles wrote:

I recently had someone ask me to do this, and the annoying part is that eBay won't let me change the address. I ended up just hand-writing out the new label and took a hit to late/non updated tracking because I was annoyed by it and couldn't process a label through eBay.

So for everyone saying no big deal, eBay makes it harder to do than you'd expect when a purchase is already made to the original address.

@siamjane8  @tdl_collectibles : On the single Shipping form, the Edit link for revising the Ship To: address is immediately below the address itself. Clicking that link will open a popup window in which you can change whatever you like: 

Edit_Address.jpg

Message 59 of 60
latest reply

@a_c_green 

I know you can change people's addresses after the fact and have done it. I'm fact I don't care and I will change the address for people without issue but it sucks that you lose your ebay protections when doing it even if there is a message trail from the buyer.

But thanks for posting the pic. I'm sure many sellers have no idea that it's available because the everything is hidden in popup boxes.... Got to love the mobile experience forced onto desktop! Hides everything. 

Message 60 of 60
latest reply