cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay's N95 Mask Gouging Solution Inappropriate

So I listed an extra box of N95 masks I had sitting around, auction style, and started it at 99 cents for a three day auction. eBay then cancelled my auction with a stern warning to not relist any more N95 items.

I get that they want to stop price gouging, and I am 100% on board with that. Taking advantage of desperate people at an emotional time is not cool.

But it infuriates me that eBay is using broad and indiscriminate restrictions. Starting an auction at 99 cents is NOT price gouging as I am not dictating the sale price (it could sell for 25 dollars and I lose money). Also, this broad sledgehammer approach restricts access to items like N95s where eBay is often the only avenue to acquire such items for many people. As a consequence, a medically fragile person may not get the N95s they need to avoid getting sick, literally putting their life at risk. By shutting down every N95 auction, including ethical ones like mine, eBay could be putting people at risk.

I would have preferred if eBay instead restricted N95 sales to auction-style only, starting at a nominal price like 99 cents. This avoids unscrupulous price gouging and people who medically need masks can get them. Without the price gouging sellers, the overall market price for masks would drop and everyone wins (and lives).

Message 1 of 115
latest reply
114 REPLIES 114

Re: eBay's N95 Mask Gouging Solution Inappropriate

If ebay "doesn't have the resources to monitor" they should stay out of it. It's not selling something that's illegal, they're masks. They own them, they should be allowed to sell them for whatever price they want to.
Message 31 of 115
latest reply

These "anti gouging laws" are unconstitutional.
Message 32 of 115
latest reply

@coolections wrote:
You know that there are scared people who are willing to pay ridiculous prices right now so you listed at auction thinking you will make ridiculous money. No difference. Would you have been selling the "extra" box you had laying around at auction if not for the virus ? I doubt it.

If the OP thought masks were needed, they would have kept the extra box for themselves to use when needed. I'm presuming that selling them means it's known they don't help, but uninformed people will spend crazy money to get them.

C.

Message 33 of 115
latest reply

In Hong Kong, as we do not have any face mask production in the city, government did not control the price of selling hand sanitizers and face masks. Therefore people in Hong Kong got to purchase face masks all over the world to supply our needs or to resell the supplies. Even though the prices are higher, people can still get what we need. Without the face masks supply from China, the cases of inflection are still quite low just above 100. 

USA without enough face mask production and ban from face mask reselling, Americans cannot get what they need even though they are willing to pay higher prices.  The international sellers will sell the supplies somewhere else or just stop looking for the supplies. To me, I was trying to sell the excess face masks I had on ebay to make money. After this ban, I will resell the face masks locally.  Americans have to find their own supplies with their own efforts. This ban is a great news to China and other Western powers, because the supplies can go to them. 

Message 34 of 115
latest reply

According to the "news" respirator masks are useless, unless you have medical training then somehow it magically works for medical workers only and not ordinary citizens? Ive yet to figure that one out I think ive been jedi mind tricked? But people are buying them but you know what the biggest kicker is? Not the price not if they work or not BUT PEOPLE HAVE TO WEAR THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE! I CAN TELL YOU RIGHT NOW MASKS ARE NOT EFFECTIVE IN ANY SITUATION SITTING IN THE BOX AND NOT ON A PERSON'S FACE! LMAO hahaha. 

I got some masks for myself and some extras to pass on to other people, not many but thats the way it goes with supply and demand everywhere. I feel sorry for the people who bought cases and cases of masks and now cant sell their masks, probably going to start going around in parking lots with masks in their trunk signaling to people "hey buddy buddy u lookin for masks?"

Message 35 of 115
latest reply

China needs 1 billion a day. The face mask supplies will never catch up with the demand. 

Message 36 of 115
latest reply

No, you simply have masks that you are not permitted to sell on eBay. That is not the same thing.

No, you simply have masks that you are not permitted to sell on eBay. That is not the same thing.

Message 37 of 115
latest reply

I totally agree, my brother is an ER doctor in Boston and he is being asked to reuse his mask every day, he has a wife and two small boys.  Ebay sellers could be donating these items to hospitals in their community, the one who could potentially save your life.  Think about how this could impact you if all the doctors end up with the virus and can not treat your loved one!! Shame  I wanted to buy some and ship to my brother overnight and the prices are insane $400+ for 5 masks really?!?!?!?   DONATE THE MASKS!!!!! OR AT THE VARY LEAST OFFER A BUY IT NOW OPTION WITH REASONABLE PRICES, MAKING PEOPLE WAIT FOR DAYS FOR AN AUCTION TO END, CRAZY.  I HOPE MY BROTHER DOESN'T END UP IN THE ICU AND CAN NOT CARE FOR YOUR LOVED ONE!!  WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER HELP THOSE WHO WILL HELP YOU!!!!!!!!

Message 38 of 115
latest reply

The company that makes the masks nearly doubled the price and that's okay. They stand to make a lot of money off this. Isn't price gouging for companies not an individual who already purchased an item that is now their personal property allowed to sell their property to anyone at any price as long as both agree. If I buy an antique chair at a yard sale for 30.00 then sold it for 2000.00 is that price gouging? There are plenty of companies and wealthy people benefitting and getting rich off this whole thing but people want to go after the little guy. I had these left over from my dusty job also. I have a house payment to make and stand to lose everything I've work over 20 years for. If I have something that is mine I should be able to sell it for what ever price I decide. People have the right to not buy it. They should also have the right buy if they want. That's the way our system works. Free market, capitalisms. Its people reacting without thinking.
Message 39 of 115
latest reply

Or you could donate them to literally any nursing home, homeless shelter or clinic. No need to be stubborn or selfish. 

Message 40 of 115
latest reply

@23opendoors wrote:
The company that makes the masks nearly doubled the price and that's okay. They stand to make a lot of money off this. Isn't price gouging for companies not an individual who already purchased an item that is now their personal property allowed to sell their property to anyone at any price as long as both agree. If I buy an antique chair at a yard sale for 30.00 then sold it for 2000.00 is that price gouging? There are plenty of companies and wealthy people benefitting and getting rich off this whole thing but people want to go after the little guy. I had these left over from my dusty job also. I have a house payment to make and stand to lose everything I've work over 20 years for. If I have something that is mine I should be able to sell it for what ever price I decide. People have the right to not buy it. They should also have the right buy if they want. That's the way our system works. Free market, capitalisms. Its people reacting without thinking.

And this brings up an interesting point. If someone has lost their job, can't pay their mortgage, and has a buyer willing to pay $1000 for a case of 100 masks they happen to have on hand... is it still price gouging? Should that seller be forced to sell at a lower price, even if it means they may lose their home by doing so?

Message 41 of 115
latest reply

You Should Have Donated Them To Your Local Hospitale, Or Clinic, IF YOU CARE ANYTHING About MANKIND. So what happens if you get sick & all of the doctors & Nurses have DIED  From  The Virus because they do NOT have ANY FACE MASKS BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE SOLD THEM FOR TOO MUCH MONEY ON EBAY????? WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU,  DO YOU BELIEVE   IN      KARMA,??   I DO.   If you would have sold them as a buy it now for the price they should be, YOU WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A  PRICE GOUGER  Did you know that you are not suppose to be selling these on ebay???  READ THE POLOCIES

Message 42 of 115
latest reply

IT  IS  SIMPLE  Donate,  Donate, Donate, Donate, Donate, Donate,      OH, Did I Say   DONATE                 

Message 43 of 115
latest reply

THIS IS A JOKE, YOU CAN NOT USE THEM,   WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN TELLING ON TV THAT,   D O  C T O R S ,   &  N U R S E S, ARE RUNNING OUT UF THEM & HAVING TO REUSE THEM.  WHAT IF YOU GET THE VIRUS   DO YOU WANT THE DOCTOR Thar  HAS BEEN WORKING ON SICK PEOPLE ALL DAY USING THE SAME MASK  & THEN START HELPING YOU,   WHAT ARE EBAY SELLERS THINKING????

Message 44 of 115
latest reply

but i think what  E V E R Y O N E  here is forgetting, is the entire purpose of making gouging unlawful is to ensure those items make it into the hands of those who need them. this absolutely does the opposite, and should also be unlawful, criticized, and punished. it's as though you all are mindlessly acting like gouging is illegal because its disheartening, and no one wants to see that sh*t, so ABOLISH IT FROM OUR LIVES! 

those.

goods.

still.

need.

to.

get.

to.

those.

who.

are.

without. 

Message 45 of 115