cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay no longer advertising on Google searches

Good Morning Community. 

I noticed a dip in sales and traffic this past 2 weeks.  during my investigation, I noticed that eBay is no longer advertising on google searches. Before, if you searched for a product like mine on google, me and many other sellers will show as options. Now, all you see is Etsy and Amazon. Anyone here has an idea of what is happening?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: eBay no longer advertising on Google searches

Probably has something to do with wanting sellers to pay for offsite advertising. I received and email from ebay with a 100.00 coupon for offsite ads. I guess there is not enough people using promoted listings once they find out how much it really costs so they are selling offsite ads now. I can only imagine how screwed up the search engine has become.   

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Are you 100% sure those are true and accurate numbers? 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@dirk12955 wrote:

I just looked at Google shopping and ebay was at the top of the page and my stuff 

shows on the first page of ebay listings.  

Hmm, not sure if you intended to reply to me directly or to the whole thread in general.  But you have my attention -so, I can't recall ever seeing any of my items on google, other than a couple of times for verrrry rare items and I already sold them long before.  

I always assume it has something to do with google "knowing" it's me somehow, and not showing my own items because obviously I don't want to BUY from myself.  Like just now I tested it for this item (see below).  I tried a couple different keyword searches like 'jais nielsen brooch' and 'jais nielsen set'.  -Jewelry made by that artist is fairly rare, but not too rare, which you'll see if you search.  Theoretically, my listing SHOULD show, but it doesn't, not to me anyway. I see a couple images that look just like mine (ceramic green face) but they're not my listing.  And I'm looking at both images and shopping results.  -Would you care to see if you can find my listing on google?  I would be very curious and appreciative.

The Shtroogle result I came back with links to this (item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/126208377676)

"This listing was ended by the seller on Mon, Nov 27 at 2:35 AM because the item is no longer available."

(Sorry, I like being color descriptive so like that's a "Shout" without using big fonts as I dont want any broken cellphone screen cracks due to oversized fontage').

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

I don't believe eBay has stopped advertising on Google completely, but I've seen some pretty compelling anecdotal evidence that they have pulled back on "free" inclusion in Google ads for many sellers in favor of pushing PL Standard External ads and especially the new Offsite Ads.

Incidentally, at an investor conference last month, Etsy CEO Josh Silverman answered a question about whether they are seeing competition from Temu and Shein. His answer was very focused on the fact those companies are burning money like there's no tomorrow on Google ads and that the ROI isn't there to try to compete with them in that specific arena (also side note - Etsy just announced they are laying off 11% of workforce (about 225 employees) today 👀).

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4653189-etsy-inc-etsy-needham-3rd-annual-consumer-tech-e-commerce-c...

Our data is not suggesting that we are being disproportionately impacted, they’re taking share roughly on a proportional basis across many players. And you know where I think it's impacting us more is that they have come in very heavy in particular in Google PLAs and Meta and especially in the long tail of the auctions where Etsy and only a few other players are competing. And it's not obvious that they have a focus on ROI at the moment, and we very much do. So we are unprepared to pay for a CPC unless we think it drives an ROI.

I guarantee eBay is feeling that same pressure in much the same way regarding Google ads right now and that may be impacting their decision making as far as "free" organic placements vs PLS External placements vs Offsite Ads placement. Obviously from eBay's perspective, the more they can shift the cost of those ads to sellers, the better - especially in categories where they may be up against competitors willing to drop a ton of cash for Google ads.

Additional thoughts here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Offsite-Ads-Question/m-p/34146168/highlight/true#M2319033

and here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Offsite-Ads-ROAS-For-Sellers/m-p/34160436/highlight/true#M2322... 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Certainly Temu is a competitor here albeit the range of goods there far far more finite.  But in the sentence (well the next one...) it adds a very bad flavor to eBay when sellers go schmoozlin' goods from Temu, stuff over here and mark them up 200%+.  Consumers are not stupid.  When I was seeking a cheapie way to effectively sharpen my chain saw chain as the old "File in hand" was a big fail I looked to YouTube and saw this Jig thing.  So I went to Googie and did a search for it, isn't eBay 200% or whatever it was, significantly more expensive than Teh'MuMu.

I PREFER support eBay in online shopping not that I am a habitual online shopper.  I've bought screws here, Lag Bolts, this/that and I don't mind paying a bit more to support the platform and our seller community.  However paying three times as much for something I'm not even sure going to work and as a seller know exactly where it came from... Well.

Folks need realize that eBay has two kinds of main traffic.  Those that come to eBay and those that come to Google.  Everything else sauce for the goose.  So at Google if eBay pricing is non-competitive to other online venues well... ok, no sale there.  However, if consumies see that as a constant well... Bad Kharma sinks in.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

Certainly Temu is a competitor here albeit the range of goods there far far more finite.  But in the sentence (well the next one...) it adds a very bad flavor to eBay when sellers go schmoozlin' goods from Temu, stuff over here and mark them up 200%+.  Consumers are not stupid.  When I was seeking a cheapie way to effectively sharpen my chain saw chain as the old "File in hand" was a big fail I looked to YouTube and saw this Jig thing.  So I went to Googie and did a search for it, isn't eBay 200% or whatever it was, significantly more expensive than Teh'MuMu.

I PREFER support eBay in online shopping not that I am a habitual online shopper.  I've bought screws here, Lag Bolts, this/that and I don't mind paying a bit more to support the platform and our seller community.  However paying three times as much for something I'm not even sure going to work and as a seller know exactly where it came from... Well.

Folks need realize that eBay has two kinds of main traffic.  Those that come to eBay and those that come to Google.  Everything else sauce for the goose.  So at Google if eBay pricing is non-competitive to other online venues well... ok, no sale there.  However, if consumies see that as a constant well... Bad Kharma sinks in.

@retro_entertainment_collectibles just for clarity, my post did not have anything to do with product price competitiveness or consumer sentiment about Temu and Shein vs Etsy and eBay - it was only about the competition between these companies as they bid against each other for paid ad placements on Google.

Whether or not the quality of goods, prices and buying experience are truly comparable, the fact is Temu and Shein are not operating under the same financial constraints and fiduciary responsibilities as Etsy and eBay. That allows them to burn a ton of cash on Google ads while driving up ad costs.

It's not just Etsy (and presumably eBay) feeling the heat, I've seen many DTC ecommerce marketing firms also saying currently it's not worth it for their clients to try to advertise on Facebook, Instagram, Google etc. if they are in any market segment where Temu and Shein are currently running ads because the cost per click or cost per acquisition has gone through the roof.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

That's an old version of my listing, not the current one unfortunately.  

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

I've always loathed CPC models and beyond the common commercial engines there are others or at least were.  I cant recall the names but there were two where the software was completely open source be used in any web and an entire marketplace buy/sell ad's in CPC.  Effective CPC at least in past history, I'm sure it's evolved required a rather sustained effort and of course cost of doing biz at least.

The web is always in an evolutionarily mode albeit some evolution is whats old is new again.  Whilst many places as they evolve can be pro-active the third party types of marketplaces tend to be in modes or reactive.  Understandable as they are poised as venues not being afforded the agility competitors can enjoy.

Driving traffic and converting said traffic into capture be the measure of capture commerce or content go hand in hand.  in eCommerce past heat turns up some succeed, heat turns down as many fail.  Things have changed now as the web has turned mainstream as integral parts of ever so many traditional retailers.  They can take advantage simply because they have more capabilities, more agility and less risk consumer issues such as fraud aside.  There's not an entity here in privateers throw $100,000 at focal or not CPC and do the write of yet for really the lions share of hard goods modest sized biz's thats peanuts.

I recall when we'd got Government contracts back in the day and due to them being that we'd no problems at all getting bank lines of credit, was, "How much you want" as the Gov always good on it.  When I asked bank officer if it were not for that, in a hard goods business what do they consider as viable.  I was surprised, 3-5 million revenues sustained anything else strays into risk assessment variables.

With an eBay or an Etsy there simply is no collective thought, "What is best for all and lets all work towards that" nor can constraints exist to rather force along its path.  Now back in the day the B2C venues whom also had many a vendor set down requirement of vendor(s) simply not there, don't fit.  It was why so many of them were successful and several even thrived until Amazon's reverse price took off.

Point being success is a multifactorial equation... It takes many parts to facilitate success.  Here there are so many conflicting mindsets that competing against traditional medium/large hard good resale entities is simply not accomplishable.

Just as a mock example, if eBay did away with everything but auctions and required $1 start bids along with "No monkey business" sellers this place take off like Space X Rocket in no time flat, no CPC needed.  Word of mouth would spread like a wildfire and vendors would leave like wildfire.

This is why sometime back I suggested and it'd never happen, eBay does the selling.  Develop an AI, sellers list noting acquisition cost and desired ranging on price.  eBay gets it sold, if it doesnt go, it doesnt go, in order to resubmit needs list in a new range below the prior.  Todays commerce is all about driving value for consumers.  One can have the California Interstate Five of traffic but if the sum of the parts are not conducive to capture, value, safety, confidence et el then that traffic can never maximize potentials.  

If I were at the helm, be a whole bunch of changes here and that's easy to say.  The reality is however changes that could and actually should occur cant and the reason they cant is "When you really wave the bedsheets hard the bed bugs fly all over you and will do anything to destroy as they feel destroyed."

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

@retro_entertainment_collectibles just for clarity, my post did not have anything to do with product price competitiveness or consumer sentiment about Temu and Shein vs Etsy and eBay - it was only about the competition between these companies as they bid against each other for paid ad placements on Google.

Whether or not the quality of goods, prices and buying experience are truly comparable, the fact is Temu and Shein are not operating under the same financial constraints and fiduciary responsibilities as Etsy and eBay. That allows them to burn a ton of cash on Google ads while driving up ad costs.

It's not just Etsy (and presumably eBay) feeling the heat, I've seen many DTC ecommerce marketing firms also saying currently it's not worth it for their clients to try to advertise on Facebook, Instagram, Google etc. if they are in any market segment where Temu and Shein are currently running ads because the cost per click or cost per acquisition has gone through the roof.

That scenario seems to be the fatal flaw in any of these CPC campaigns.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I forgot that I don't like participating in these forums run by ebay shills who are all moderators being paid to create a false facade for enay.com while lying and saying that they are not. 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@jimmy1000000 ,

You've sold over 10k in the last 90 days. That's nothing to sneeze at. Many sellers would die

for sales like that.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@jimmy1000000 wrote:

I forgot that I don't like participating in these forums run by ebay shills who are all moderators being paid to create a false facade for enay.com while lying and saying that they are not. 

@jimmy1000000  You are responding to an old thread from last year. It is not likely the same respondents are currently online to continue the discourse.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply