cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is seeking new Community Mentors

If you are active on the community boards and are interested (in case you missed it) the details are found in "Featured Posts" on the right side of your screen (bright green square) "refresh your eBay store with Spring cleaning - seller tips.

Was surprised to see the announcement stated there  🙂

Message 1 of 106
latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Re: eBay is seeking new Community Mentors

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

My opinion is, they should extend an invite to the program based on their own evaluation of a member, rather than have them apply.

Weeds out any potential troublemakers.  But that's my thoughts.

Unless the process has changed those applying to reply on the "mentor board" are thoroughly vetted by reviewing their community performance so "troublemakers" would likely not pass muster.

YES.  But keep in mind that troublemakers and someone that complains are not necessarily the same thing.  I have voiced my disagreement with many Ebay rules over the years.  I was firmly [and still am] against the Service Metrics.  

Now certainly Mentors shouldn't be out there slamming Ebay every chance they get, but then why would they as that defeats the purpose of the program to begin with, to help others.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 106
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Awhile back there was an offer to get paid for answers here. 

Just saying......

And what badge? It's  well into 2024 and I haven't  seen any badges issued for 2023. Least not one for me. 

Perks?

A Christmas present, mostly something emblazoned with the eBay logo. And sometimes useless.  Like a speaker with half the logo scratched off that worked for 5 minutes, or tumblers with cracked lids. My mama said never complain about a gift, it's  the thought that counts.

NOPE, never for answers here in the Community.  You are thinking of a program that was called Limitless.  I don't even remember how a poster could access it to log in a question.  It was NOT part of the Mentor program nor did you have to be a Mentor to participate.  That program no longer exists.

You would not be able to tell in the Community which members were part of the Limitless program as there was no designation and they were never paid for posts in the Community.  But again, the program has been closed.

Message 47 of 106
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

It's just more corporate spin for "you can help ebay for FREE and feel really good about yourself while ebay reaps all the benefits." You know, I'm probably jaded and ... No, I am jaded. I've been involved with the working world for just past 4 decades and unfortunately I've seen what I've seen and nothing will change the way I feel about most companies who pee on my leg while smiling in my face and telling me it's raining!

That is a major misconception about the Mentor's program.  Not a one of us is here to help Ebay.  Not a single Mentor.  We are here to help other members of Ebay when the need arises and we know something that might just help them.  It really isn't anymore complicated than that.

Some need to make this program look like something negative because they don't understand what it is, so it must be bad in some way.

Ask anything you want.  The program is not a secret.  It has been around for years.

Message 48 of 106
latest reply

Seems like I might be  one of those that you describe because I no longer sell any more, but still try to be helpful here.  Are you saying I should bow out? 

Message 49 of 106
latest reply

Ever since this program was introduced, have wanted to ask:  What's the advantage of asking a question of a Mentor over just asking your question here? More qualified people? A guarantee that the answer will be correct?  Not carping, just wondered.  

Message 50 of 106
latest reply

Why would eBay hire/train/pay anyone when they have the Boards and the Mentors working for free?

An probably giving more accurate replies than the paid eBay CS reps.  

Message 51 of 106
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Ever since this program was introduced, have wanted to ask:  What's the advantage of asking a question of a Mentor over just asking your question here? More qualified people? A guarantee that the answer will be correct?  Not carping, just wondered.  

I don’t think that there is an advantage.  If you have ever seen some “ask a mentor” posts, the replies are sparse and definitely not better than what one would see in a free-for-all board.  The mentors are great, but the wisdom of the crowd is much better, IMO. 

I don’t really get the benefit - a badge?  Honestly, it seems like a bit of a vanity play.  Having mentor status doesn’t allow you multiply your efforts - it just gets a badge in your signature.  

Plenty have poked fun at the labels we get - rockstar, visionary, etc. - and for good reason.  They mean absolutely nothing - good advice is good advice, even if from a newb.

Message 52 of 106
latest reply

One can only Hope!

Message 53 of 106
latest reply

I was referring to community forums in general.  Not specifically this one.  And I have been on many.

But can you clarify what exactly isn't true about my statement?

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 54 of 106
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

I don’t think that there is an advantage.  If you have ever seen some “ask a mentor” posts, the replies are sparse and definitely not better than what one would see in a free-for-all board.  The mentors are great, but the wisdom of the crowd is much better, IMO. 

I don’t really get the benefit - a badge?  Honestly, it seems like a bit of a vanity play.  Having mentor status doesn’t allow you multiply your efforts - it just gets a badge in your signature.  

Plenty have poked fun at the labels we get - rockstar, visionary, etc. - and for good reason.  They mean absolutely nothing - good advice is good advice, even if from a newb.

I would think this is pretty obvious, also there's some confusion here. First off - those  "rockstar" labels are a function of Khoros's, not eBay. And yeah, I agree, those forum labels are pretty silly. "Mentor" is eBay. 

The reason for the mentor badge is some reassurance that the individual's information about policy, procedure, etc. comes from experience and is accurate. Someone coming here with questions with no idea who to listen to (amongst conflicting information) can feel some reassurance.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 55 of 106
latest reply

How much assurance does "Ask A Mentor" really offer?

Have seen some experienced eBayers (including myself) give misleading information here.  

Message 56 of 106
latest reply

I saw that they are looking for mentors on ebay for business on Fakebook and they are getting slammed with annoyed sellers. It doesn't say anything about perks. Personally, I don't have the expertise or patience to be one, but thanks for sharing.

Message 57 of 106
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

How much assurance does "Ask A Mentor" really offer?

Have seen some experienced eBayers (including myself) give misleading information here.  

Nothing covers all contingencies - if we demanded that, nothing would ever get done. But given how much misinformation there is on any board, it helps.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 58 of 106
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote: ... . First off - those  "rockstar" labels are a function of Khoros's, not eBay. And yeah, I agree, those forum labels are pretty silly. "Mentor" is eBay. ....

Khoros offers those badges as a client OPTION which eBay has chosen to use, including coming up with the exact names and conditions for achieving them.  When eBay switched to Kohros (then known as Lithium) in 2013, the user committee unanimously voted against using the badge option, but then in 2016 somebody at eBay (probably a new Community director) decided they would be a cute idea and adopted them.

Message 59 of 106
latest reply

Not at all.

We need those like you to read all the lingo that is in eBay regulations and laws of eBay land and let us know them. We need you. I learned a few things from you. Your actually cool.

We do need more who are currently shipping and mailing stuff...to let us know what changes occur.

There is too much to read up on in eBay. 

But we kinda need real life stories of shipping...selling and buying as well.

Message 60 of 106
latest reply