cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is seeking new Community Mentors

If you are active on the community boards and are interested (in case you missed it) the details are found in "Featured Posts" on the right side of your screen (bright green square) "refresh your eBay store with Spring cleaning - seller tips.

Was surprised to see the announcement stated there  🙂

Message 1 of 106
latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Re: eBay is seeking new Community Mentors

And you have some that turned their selling name into a posting name, and  still sell but on a different name.  

Message 31 of 106
latest reply

Awhile back there was an offer to get paid for answers here. 

Just saying......

And what badge? It's  well into 2024 and I haven't  seen any badges issued for 2023. Least not one for me. 

Perks?

A Christmas present, mostly something emblazoned with the eBay logo. And sometimes useless.  Like a speaker with half the logo scratched off that worked for 5 minutes, or tumblers with cracked lids. My mama said never complain about a gift, it's  the thought that counts.

Message 32 of 106
latest reply

@meme6253 

Some New Blood with better views & who are currently selling in this same atmosphere that we are & not from the past would be a breath of fresh air!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, Goodluck, 90% of applicants are over 90.

Message 33 of 106
latest reply

AFAIK you must be very ''Pro eBay'' - I used to be, but over the last 5 or so years...not so much 😋

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 34 of 106
latest reply

I never heard back the first time I applied.  But the following year when I was accepted, I was given the badge for the previous year as well.  Yes, we still get called shills, cheerleaders, etc and don't get me started on the carp we get for the dumb rockstar moniker...

I don't hang out in the lounge much because the dirty martinis are not up to my standards! 

Honestly, I enjoy answering questions and helping.  It is a good program and if you are well-versed in the rules or just an every day seller and are thinking about it, you should apply.   

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 35 of 106
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

I never heard back the first time I applied.  But the following year when I was accepted, I was given the badge for the previous year as well.  Yes, we still get called shills, cheerleaders, etc and don't get me started on the carp we get for the dumb rockstar moniker...

I don't hang out in the lounge much because the dirty martinis are not up to my standards! 

Honestly, I enjoy answering questions and helping.  It is a good program and if you are well-versed in the rules or just an every day seller and are thinking about it, you should apply.   

I am off and on with regards to the boards.  Color me confused, but I cannot understand the labels that are assigned to us.  Supposedly I am considered a "Guide".  That's all well and good, but I don't know the tiers.  I have gotten messages asking me about guidance with this or that issue....I try to advise the best I can, simply because I want to help.  
Not interested in the least in labels or badges.  Just want to condone best practices.  Seems there is more and more negativity on the boards, which is perhaps why I have drifted away as of late.  
I miss some of the old "faces" I used to see here 10 or so years ago.  There were some very good contributors that helped me immensely just by reading their advice back then.  

Message 36 of 106
latest reply

It's just more corporate spin for "you can help ebay for FREE and feel really good about yourself while ebay reaps all the benefits." You know, I'm probably jaded and ... No, I am jaded. I've been involved with the working world for just past 4 decades and unfortunately I've seen what I've seen and nothing will change the way I feel about most companies who pee on my leg while smiling in my face and telling me it's raining!

Message 37 of 106
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

AFAIK you must be very ''Pro eBay'' - I used to be, but over the last 5 or so years...not so much 😋

Just be truthful and know the rules, and be willing to help others without demanding money for it.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 106
latest reply

@aprilmoviebuf2000 wrote: ...  Color me confused, but I cannot understand the labels that are assigned to us.  Supposedly I am considered a "Guide".  That's all well and good, but I don't know the tiers.....  

Here you go.  My nominee for most baffling moniker is "Enthusiast," which is assigned to newbies, i.e., those who have not yet shown any enthusiasm for the Community. The original eBay staff post about this stuff is no longer accessible.

badges ranks 3_2018.png

Message 39 of 106
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

As an aside, for those interested in applying there is no guarantee you will be accepted. (I have never applied but recall a few older posts where the OP lamented they were declined or did not receive an answer).

I certainly hope eBay does not accept everyone who applies! I've seen people on this board who IMHO give terrible advice to other sellers.

Message 40 of 106
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@aprilmoviebuf2000 wrote: ...  Color me confused, but I cannot understand the labels that are assigned to us.  Supposedly I am considered a "Guide".  That's all well and good, but I don't know the tiers.....  

Here you go.  My nominee for most baffling moniker is "Enthusiast," which is assigned to newbies, i.e., those who have not yet shown any enthusiasm for the Community. The original eBay staff post about this stuff is no longer accessible.

badges ranks 3_2018.png

Most of those titles make no sense to me, and I wish they'd get rid of them.

My nomination for Most Baffling is "Thrill Seeker" - what the debil is that?

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 41 of 106
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I would do it but I do not want to be called an ebay shill. LOL!! YOU GET THAT BADGE AND EVERYBODY THINKS YOU are out to get them. LOL!! Also, I may not be able to complain too much. 

Most people that call other poster names are usually because they don't agree with them.  It has nothing to do with who is a Mentor or not.  

It has only been about a week or so that we have started using the signature option on posts to identify ourselves as a mentor.  Before that I bet many didn't didn't realize who was a Mentor and who wasn't.  Many likely didn't even know what a Mentor was.

Now on the our Community page that you can get to by clicking on the ID of the poster in a post, there is a badge there if they are or have been a mentor in past years.  But again, many likely didn't know that was there either.

Some people just can't find the vocabulary to get their points across without name calling and insults.  That in no way is limited to being directed at Mentors.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 42 of 106
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I would nominate a few of the posters who have been extremely helpful on here to me personally and to many others.

You should do that.  But just send them a message and give them the link to applying to be a Mentor.

FYI everyone should be aware, just because you apply to become a Mentor does not mean you will become a Mentor.  All mentors are vetted by Ebay first and not all those that apply will be accepted into the program.

Message 43 of 106
latest reply

Using a badge is not a requirement on our posts.  It is an option.

Message 44 of 106
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

Typically, forums that have community helpers aren't restricted from complaining.

Its just that you need to be careful how you complain.  lol

That is NOT true.  You are making assumptions about something and it is simply are not true for the Ebay community.  

Message 45 of 106
latest reply